2 Rod Rule while Trolling

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

RE:2 Rod Rule while Trolling

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:07 am

Palmer wrote:Is anyone interested in a two rod rule for trolling? In Idaho, anglers are offered the opportunity to troll with two rods for an additional charge. If our state offered a two rod license for an additional $20, the state could make a lot of money and recreational fishing would get a shot in the arm. Fishing guides would get more business and troll more of the big lakes such as Washington and Sammamish. Perhaps more boats would be sold. It's good for business.
I love the idea, and it should be implemented. In Canada, each person can have 2 rods in the water...like it should be. Great topic, and I agree...a set nominal fee of $20.00 - $ 30.00 annually would have a huge impact on the local economy both local and global. Sales of rods and reels would increase, more downriggers would be sold, more boats purchased, and the list goes on. Thanks for bringing this up, as yesterday I was fishing Lk. Washington and I saw a solo guy fishing 2 rods illegally. I didn't call him in, cause I'm not that way, but people do need to respect the regulations and abide by the rules...however, I can see the frustration when you want to try out different combinations and lures at different depths, etc!!:cheers:

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:53 am

Honestly I don't know how having the ability to have a second rod would make any bit of difference, especially in terms of buying a boat. I could see down riggers and maybe rods and reels...but being able to have a second rod in a boat really isn't the deciding factor for a purchase like a boat...maybe for some, but not for me. If that were the case...all it would take is a $20 factory rebate to seal a deal, plus they were more than likely going to buy the boat regardless of whether two rods could be used or not...the usage of a second rod would be just a convenient, not to mention lame excuse to pass off to the wife.
Rutt wrote:each person can have 2 rods in the water...like it should be.
Why is that? I have read lots of "personal" reasons to have a second rod...a few ideas of licensing that could be put towards making the fisheries better. But, I think it really boils down to catching more fish faster. That's what every angler in their right mind wants...lord knows I do. But, I can see two rods being allowed...then lobbying for three...then four, so on and so forth. I haven't yet heard a good valid reason behind needing a second rod.

With regards to purchasing a second rod tag...IMO, the state has a really hard enough time managing the money they do get...let alone giving them more to burn.

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:19 am

I presume it's the way I was raised. This should only apply to lake fishing, trolling only. Being in Canada so long and always fishing two rods, it became engrained and more ritualistic than anything else. I think it's a good idea, but that's just my opinion. Two rods powerbaiting from shore is a joke, and likewise with most other types of fishing. Two rods, stacked on one dowrigger is a great way to fish, and I have had lots of success doing this in B.C. for chums and kings. I presume it runs down the moral fiber of many people and is a hot topic. I can see where it could go either way, as there is an argument for both sides of this debate. Thanks for your ideas!!

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:12 am

Rutt wrote:This should only apply to lake fishing, trolling only.
Yes...I suppose it should. However, you know as well as I do if preferential treatment is given only to those who are boaters...those that are stuck to shore are likely to raise hell. I would at that point think the second rod tag would be a decent idea. If those that want to use a second rod, buy the tag and use a second rod...otherwise, STFU! But, that brings us full circle with regards to enforcement.
Rutt wrote:Two rods powerbaiting from shore is a joke, and likewise with most other types of fishing.
It seems to me in this state, boaters seem to put themselves on a higher plane, simply because they own a boat...or at least owe someone for the boat. It doesn't take much intelligence to be able to hop into something that floats, drive around for a bit, look at an LCD screen that's telling them exactly where the fish are and hopefully catch them...which is exactly why I ran out and bought me one! :-P

Take away the boat, take away the electronics...we're all bankies at that point.
Rutt wrote:Being in Canada so long and always fishing two rods, it became engrained and more ritualistic than anything else.
I came from a state that allows more than one rod...we were even allowed to use trot lines with up to 25 hooks, I have had to make adjustments to the methods (regarding hardware) I use to fish since coming to this state, as well...so it can be done.

I guess my hangup is when I see how fast an area can be fished out. I feel having only one rod...whether on a boat or on shore presents more of a challenge in catching fish, and in the end keeps more in the water for others to enjoy.

[edit]- I don't really think there would be an issue with the amount of fish taken, but as Sam said in an earlier post...there are people out there who would equate double the rods to double the limit. From my experience, this could hold true for both boaters and bankies....
Rutt wrote:I can see where it could go either way, as there is an argument for both sides of this debate.
I absolutely agree.

Chad
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:35 am

As a boy in the 70’s (I’m 42 now) I remember fishing in Canada at Salmon Lake which was a fly only blue ribbon lake. They allowed two rods if you were alone in the boat. There was no additional fee. I’m not sure two rods will affect fish populations. It might however decrease the time it takes to limit. So those who harvest their catch will maybe do so sooner than if they were fishing one pole. I don’t think that’s a big deal. They are off the lake or salt faster is all. Those who catch and release will maybe have a little more action. Good for them. Since trolling allows a higher survival rate in released fish, the catch and release angler is a bit more busy if the fish are biting. I like the idea that if you are alone and in the boat, you may use two rods. I also believe if the State of Washington didn’t allow so much tribal and commercial harvesting of salmon in Puget Sound waters, we wouldn’t have to be worried about salmon populations. Just think; if there was no tribal and commercial harvest in the Sound there would be huge numbers of salmon in our area year round and we wouldn’t be limited to one clipped fin salmon per trip. I hate how limited we are with salmon and how poor the bite actually is most of the time. Imagine the bite we could have if all those fish weren’t netted each year and were swimming in the Sound. I feel the same way about Dungeness crab. Good fishin all. Crabbing in 8-1 and 8-2 is just 7 days away. Not that I am counting. Ye Haaaaa!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:30 pm

It really benefits large Lakes and the guide business. A person couldn't handle a small lake freshly stocked. It wouldn't be right to have 2 rods during salmon season either. I suggested it for the slower fisheries such as Lake Washington Trout fishing from a boat. The fishery would really pick up if anglers could use 2 rods resulting in more revenue for marinas, guides, and tackle shops.
Tug's the Drug

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:54 am

Our laws allready allow us to use multipul rods, just not at the same time.
How hard is it to put a rod down and pick up another?
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:31 pm

i purchase the two pole stamp every year.
i only fish two poles 5% of the year, if that.

only time i troll 3 lines, is with 2 other people with me.

worst part is....down here you go to a lake and everyone brings tehr family and every pole they own.
thats sometimes 10+ poles for two-5 people, its redictulous!!!

non have paid to use two poles, let alone 10, and 75% of the time they dont even have licenses.

thats crazy!!!
i think it should be one pole PERIOD., if theres more than one in the water in front of someone, its easier for the ranger to spot them, and if there breaking one rule...chances are they are not following limits (qty or size), and not even licensed....

but like i said, i purchase it for more $$ to DFG, id suport a small increase in the total cost instead.

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:44 pm

the majority of my fishing is from shore and the only reason people in this state would use two poles from the bank would be to catch as much of the fish (with no limits) as possible. on the other hand trolling with two poles on certain lakes/rivers would not mean somebody is going to catch more than they would have. just better able to figure the fishing out going to two different depths, useing two different lures to see what is being more effctive, etc. but the factor of the manpower that would be used just to see if someones leagal in the use of two poles may be to much. or its use in the regs, may be to much in an already hard to read reg., booklet. <')//<

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:21 pm

panfisher wrote:the majority of my fishing is from shore and the only reason people in this state would use two poles from the bank would be to catch as much of the fish (with no limits) as possible.
I don't think I quite agree with that "blanket statement". If I had more than one rod, it wouldn't be to "catch as much of the fish (with no limits) as possible". What about fishing for more than one species. Say you're sitting out on your favorite pond...fishing for catfish, and while your bait is soaking, you want to throw out a line for panfish? As far as the "experimentation" argument goes...who says a bankie doesn't want to "experiment" with different baits...or even different depths, as well.

Personally, I think the whole "experimentation with different depths" and "experimentation with different lures" arguments that I see thrown around here and there seems to be just a lame reason to have more than one rod. If your trolling at one depth and not hitting the fish...move the down rigger deeper or shallower, if your not hitting the fish with a particular lure...do something different. What difference would it make to use more than one rod? If the fish aren't hitting either one...gonna have to change twice as many lures anyway to figure out what's working.

Chad
Chad

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:30 pm

In Idaho, we use two rods per person with a two rod license. We do it because on some days the fishing is slow but the reward is big fish - sometimes 20# bows and Macs. We've been stopped by the warden several times without any problems. Two rods for trolling works great in Idaho.
Tug's the Drug

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:53 am

that is true about being able to target differnt species from shore and have found myself wishing to be able to do just that at times. my thought s were directed at watching people catch bucket loads of perch, bullheads, and other fish with liberal catch limits years ago which eventually hurt the fish populations and now have tighter restrictions. <')//<

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Rutt wrote:
Palmer wrote:Is anyone interested in a two rod rule for trolling? In Idaho, anglers are offered the opportunity to troll with two rods for an additional charge. If our state offered a two rod license for an additional $20, the state could make a lot of money and recreational fishing would get a shot in the arm. Fishing guides would get more business and troll more of the big lakes such as Washington and Sammamish. Perhaps more boats would be sold. It's good for business.
I love the idea, and it should be implemented. In Canada, each person can have 2 rods in the water...like it should be. Great topic, and I agree...a set nominal fee of $20.00 - $ 30.00 annually would have a huge impact on the local economy both local and global. Sales of rods and reels would increase, more downriggers would be sold, more boats purchased, and the list goes on. Thanks for bringing this up, as yesterday I was fishing Lk. Washington and I saw a solo guy fishing 2 rods illegally. I didn't call him in, cause I'm not that way, but people do need to respect the regulations and abide by the rules...however, I can see the frustration when you want to try out different combinations and lures at different depths, etc!!:cheers:

Hey Rutt,
I don't understand the last 2 sentences...You saw a guy fishing ILLEGALLY with 2 rods ILLEGALLY...but didn't call him in because your not that way?..HUH? You have a phone number on the back of the State launch sticker thingy..Get his boat number and report him. You have an obligation as a Washington State sportsman! He'll get caught and fined and that money goes to the WDFW..If we all did this..report dumbasses..the fishery would be better off. Same goes for those morons on the jetskis and the waterskiers that get within 20 yards of you when your trying to fish with your family and nearly dump you in the h20..It also seems to me that multple rod fishing works everywhere else except for this state..figure that one out..See yah
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 pm

Kamloops Chaser wrote:My wife and i allways get the 2-pole permit.It opens more options... On lake pend Oreille you can fish 4 poles on a 2-pole permit....We run 4-poles on the downriggers and 4- poles on the side planners. that way we have 8 diff. lures and or baits covering a 300 ft. pass.from side to side.. And the surface down to 200 ft. at once. It gets a bit interesting at times.
Ditto. You know what I'm talkin' about. I love planers.
Tug's the Drug

Jim Ramey
Angler

Post by Jim Ramey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:33 pm

[quote="YellowBear"]

Our laws allready allow us to use multipul rods, just not at the same time.
How hard is it to put a rod down and pick up another?

This is what we do. Got two rods each ready to cast before we leave home. Part of the trip planning. Out on the water one rod fishing, while one resting or being retied. Also between trips tie up different lures and leader lengths and wrap them on soft rubber for quick changes. More time spent with wet hooks per expedition. Since it's always the two of us. Two wet hooks. Plenty of times both reeling in fish at the same time. Interesting enough action or maybe better phrase would be mad scrambling. Can't imagine what sort of activity would take place with four fish on at once. One active rod each is plenty for us. Boat or shore.
Regards,
Jim Ramey

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm thinking about asking the WDFW if they've considered two rods for trolling.
Tug's the Drug

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:31 pm

Palmer wrote:I'm thinking about asking the WDFW if they've considered two rods for trolling.
I'm sure they have pondered it. With California having it available, I'd think they would have considered it before...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

kuttkilla
Captain

Post by kuttkilla » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:34 pm

yeah imagine the chaos u would have in a school of big triploids with two rods a person some rods may be going for a swim#-o #-o

Coastfishin
Commander

Post by Coastfishin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:36 pm

Thats what I want to know. How do you fight two fish on two rods at the same time?