Landlocked Silvers?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
northfork
Lieutenant

Landlocked Silvers?

Post by northfork » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:28 pm

Anyone here ever target landlocked silvers?
If so what lures or tactics have worked for you, depth, trolling speed, colors, bait.
I'm going to be hitting up a little known lake soon and the limit is 15 a day, if it's good it will remain a secret lake if not I'll let everyone know not to waste your time there.
Thanks in advance
Bill:-$

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Landlocked Silvers?

Post by A9 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Landlocked silvers being coho or sockeye? Silvers is a common term for Kokanee...Also a common term for Coho salmon
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Coho- not sockeye. Thanks for question should have made it clearer.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:20 am

If I were you I would troll spoons, or small cut-plugs depending on the size they get up to in that lake.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:11 pm

Try trolling a real small dodger with some corn small shrimp or small hardware such as a wedding ring trailing a couple feet behind. This setup works best hooked up to a down rigger if you have one or if not use a banana weight. I am going off the assumption that the lake is fairly deep as most landlocked silvers inhabit deeper lakes. You could also try corn or shrimp below a slip bobber and just keep adjusting the depth until you locate the fish. Both methods have always worked well for me.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:24 pm

I've trolled Kastmasters at 60ft. less than 1mph. But this was Lake Kachess Kokanee. So I'm not sure if this will help you or not.Best of luck.

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:28 pm

I beg to disagree, I always understood that Silvers in the lakes are actually land locked Sockeye! This may depend on the lake, here on the east side of the state alteast they are land locked Sockeye.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well its not called Catching!

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:43 pm

OOPS!!:^o
Just talked to the caretaker at the lake we are going to hit up and it is Kokes not silvers. Got the first info from a sports writer, should have known better than to believe a sports writer on identifying fish species.
Thanks for all the info though might come in handy when I go to Riffe. It has landlocked Coho.
Koke fishing i'm not new at so should do alright, still pretty early in the year but the lake holds nice rainbow and brookies and some kind of green fish they call bass? People don't really fish for those things do they?
Bill

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:45 pm

eustace wrote:I beg to disagree, I always understood that land locked Silvers are actually land locked Socheye!
Oh, the long lived debate. There are a million different people that will tell you a million different things on this one. My opinion is that they are both the same. I have fished for both, they both bite the same things, and they both look about the same. So in my opinion they are both the same freakin thing "KOKANEE". Now instead of debating on which is which, lets answer his original question.

Don't beat me up for this I am just trying to stay on track with the topic. So if you want to start another thread on "which is which" go ahead but lets try to stay with the original thread. I have seen where this debate has gone in the past.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:57 pm

No debate here, if it's silver and wants to bite my hook call it anything you want.:-k

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Mallard83, just as I finished writing the above thread, my uncle informed me that in the Newengland states they are considerd land locked Atlantic salmon.

I use a glow hook with maggets at night down about 25 to 30 when I still fish for them other wise I troll leaded line with a Jack-o-loyd and a wedding ring tipped with a worm or magget. I always troll quit slow.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:06 pm

eustace wrote:Mallard83, just as I finished writing the above thread, my uncle informed me that in the Newengland states they are considerd land locked Atlantic salmon.
That is all I was trying to point out, is that all of these "landlocked salmon" pretty much bite the same things and in turn for all intensive purposes for this thread be considered kokanee.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:12 pm

northfork wrote:OOPS!!:^o
Just talked to the caretaker at the lake we are going to hit up and it is Kokes not silvers. Got the first info from a sports writer, should have known better than to believe a sports writer on identifying fish species.
Thanks for all the info though might come in handy when I go to Riffe. It has landlocked Coho.
Koke fishing i'm not new at so should do alright, still pretty early in the year but the lake holds nice rainbow and brookies and some kind of green fish they call bass? People don't really fish for those things do they?
Bill
Riffe,I know this lake well. Maybe one of these times I'll meet up with you out here.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:21 pm

Sorry northfork I didn't notice that you mentioned Riffe. That is my favorite kokanee lake next to Keechelus. It is great fishing with a slip float off the highway right next to the dam or vertical jigging out of a boat next to the safety cable in front of the dam.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:26 pm

mallard83 wrote:Sorry northfork I didn't notice that you mentioned Riffe. That is my favorite kokanee lake next to Keechelus. It is great fishing with a slip float off the highway right next to the dam or vertical jigging out of a boat next to the safety cable in front of the dam.
Wow,mallard...I'm at Kachess a couple times every summer. I've never fished Keechelus but would assume it has the high output of kokes like Kachess. I say "wow" I don't see very many people fishing these lakes.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:26 pm

eustace wrote:I beg to disagree, I always understood that Silvers in the lakes are actually land locked Sockeye! This may depend on the lake, here on the east side of the state alteast they are land locked Sockeye.
Silvers are land locked sockeye, they are also coho salmon. The term is used for both species. There are coho salmon that are landlocked in some lake I believe.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:30 pm

I appoligze, I did get a lttle bent over that and foregot what the question was. I will debate this though, I don't think there is a better eating Salmon.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:32 pm

eustace wrote:I appoligze, I did get a lttle bent over that and foregot what the question was. I will debate this though, I don't think there is a better eating Salmon.
No worries:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:50 pm

kevinb wrote:
mallard83 wrote:Sorry northfork I didn't notice that you mentioned Riffe. That is my favorite kokanee lake next to Keechelus. It is great fishing with a slip float off the highway right next to the dam or vertical jigging out of a boat next to the safety cable in front of the dam.
Wow,mallard...I'm at Kachess a couple times every summer. I've never fished Keechelus but would assume it has the high output of kokes like Kachess. I say "wow" I don't see very many people fishing these lakes.
I know what you mean about not very many people on the water. Keechelus is probably one of the the best, but underfished koke fisheries in the state. Some people may disagree but that is probably because they didn't take enough time to learn it. I have not been for a few years now but I can't emagine much changing in a couple of years. We used to pull easy limits of nice sized fish out of this lake. If you want a good time in the summer and you are passing through stop by when the water level is way down and you can find all kinds of kokanee gear on the logs if they haven't already been picked clean by others. It's a hike, but something to do none the less.

fishingmachine
Admiral

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:53 pm

what would u use in keechelus