Best reel for casting long distance?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jollywhite
Petty Officer

Best reel for casting long distance?

Post by Jollywhite » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:20 am

What do you guys think the best reel/rod combo for casting LIGHT lures long distances? Besides a fly reel/rod of course. I seen a guy yesterday throwing what looked to be a small panther martin from shore a great distance further that I could with my traditonal spinning reel. He obviously was doing a lot better than I was. I hate to use split shot with a panther martin and thought there has to be something better. Thanks in advance.

JS

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Best reel for casting long distance?

Post by A9 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 am

Jollywhite wrote:What do you guys think the best reel/rod combo for casting LIGHT lures long distances? Besides a fly reel/rod of course. I seen a guy yesterday throwing what looked to be a small panther martin from shore a great distance further that I could with my traditonal spinning reel. He obviously was doing a lot better than I was. I hate to use split shot with a panther martin and thought there has to be something better. Thanks in advance.

JS
A longer rod, thinner diameter line/limper line, and a lighter action rod. Throwin a panther martin with a heavy action rod isn't ideal. Something like a light action should have the proper whip to it to throw that little spinner...Proper line would be ideal to. Something like 4lb test, and limp, would get you some extra distance as well...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

BLACKLAB
Petty Officer

Post by BLACKLAB » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:31 am

Longer rod and lighter line is the key. I see your fishing for trout use 6lbs or even 4lbs test line (line brand of your choice). A longer limper rod will help "flick" your lure out some distance, but with enough backbone to land that trophy . :cheers: Hope that helps.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jollywhite
Petty Officer

Post by Jollywhite » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:34 am

Yes I am after trout right now. Forgot to mention that. As far as the reel type, spinning or casting?

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:37 am

Spinning.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Spinning
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:16 pm

A spinning set up with a slingshot and a wieght release. Just like those guys on the Columbia, fishing for Sturgeon, just jokin.
Well its not called Catching!

juggalo
Petty Officer

Post by juggalo » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:25 pm

also having your spool full of line helps
lifes short fish hard

fishman123
Petty Officer

Post by fishman123 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:39 pm

I have found that using a pole with larger eyes on it will enable you to cast further. I creates less friction as the line goes out.

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:37 pm

I have a 7' G Loomis GL3 with a Shimano Stradic FI2500 for my "light lures". Currently using 5# Sniper FC line.

I can cast 1/8oz kastmasters roughly 90-100 ft. 1/6oz roostertails roughly 70-80ft.

Wish I can get more range, but that's about it for me.:pale: