Just a few tackle topics

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Just a few tackle topics

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:48 pm

So I know the question of what to use gets asked so often in this forum. Mainly because well its a new experience for most people. So I am past that point, I boated 7 last year out of silver and newman (released all of 'em). I have a decent understanding of the whole concept of muskie fishin. I'm trying to get all of my tackle ready so when the lakes thaw I can hook up the boat and go. The other day I was in Cabelas and noticed they had their own bucktails for a decent price. I didn't use bucktails last year but I am looking to pick up a few. Assuming I can't afford to have a huge selection of them, are there certain styles or color combos that are a must have? And does anybody have any experience with the Cabelas bucktails or any they would recommend?

The next topic is swim baits. I've started using them for bass and I can only imagine that they would be great for the toothy giants too. The problem is that they can be very expensive and soft bodied. Now I'm not a rocket scientist but soft body and muskie don't seem to mesh real well. There is no way I'm throwing a $20-30 swim bait towards the grasp of their teeth. Storm makes some that look pretty good and are reasonably priced. Not sure how they do or hold up. Anybody know of any affordable swim baits that will hold up to a muskie or at least cheap enough that I can throw it out and not feel like I just chopped off an arm?

My third topic is topwater lures for musky. Im not sure if there is a more exciting way to fish for bass than topwater, and I would like to carry that over to muskie if possible. I have seen a muskie, mouth out of the water trying to take the lure I just lifted out (damn! should have been paying attention on that one!) so I can imagine that they would take a topwater lure. So what should I try?

Deadeyemark
Commander

RE:Just a few tackle topics

Post by Deadeyemark » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:07 pm

GF,
Personally I like Ducktail Lures bucktails and spinnerbaits. Built very well and they're the correct size for our tigers. Not big like most true musky lures.
http://ducktaillures.com/
I like swimbaits but those darn muskies will take the back half of a soft bodied swimbait quicker than you can say 'get me another beer'. I rig mine with a single hook buried in the tail for those short strikes.
Spending $20-30 on a musky bait is not unusual. I've got a tackle box full of baits that costed that much and more. Nothing cheap about musky tackle. Cheap lures usually don't last or worse, end up lost in a fish's mouth. Kind of like cheap leaders.
I don't throw many topwaters for muskies. It's a confidence thing.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:07 pm

So what swim baits do you use deadeye?

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:23 am

G.F.- Hello again. My favorite colors for Newman and Silver (Blade/Tail): Spring time- Brass/Yellow and Nickle/Black, Summer time - Orange/Black and Chart/Black. I start with the smaller single treble designs in the spring. The smaller baits with the willow blade at Cabela's looked fine to me so I grabbed a couple for my boys. The larger bucks at Cabela's are Bionic Bucktails and they are a good quality summer/fall bucktail. You can pick up the Mepps tandem Musky Killers at Sportsman's. As far as spinnerbaits go, I love the Fudally Musky Candy Spin. Compact, but heavy enough to toss a mile and a closed wire eye ensures the leader won't go anywhere when fighting a fish. Same colors as the in-line bucks.
Swimbait- My favorites are the Storm kick'n minnow and the Bulldawg. Both hold up well to muskies and attract strikes like nothing else I fish with. Another I like, but it is a bit more prone to being bitten in two, is the Swimmin' Charlie. I have found the Savage Gear 4-Play to be the most reasonably priced hard bodied, segmented swimbait out there. And what action!
I have only caught top water muskies on Zarra Spooks. And the time of day is always really early or really late. One thing I did to hook and hold fish better was remove the factory hooks, put on split rings and re-arm with slightly larger hooks. The all black one and firetiger have been the ones that have fooled muskies for me.
Rollie and Hellens and Musky Tackle On-line are my favorite sources.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:33 am

See, I knew you would come through for me! I couldn't have asked for better help from you guys! thanks

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:04 am

GF,
I've got a couple Basstrix trout swimbaits in the 8" size I like. Not made any more though. 3:16 lure company makes some good one. I'll probably throw a bulldawg more this year also.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Charlie's Leaders

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:05 am

GF,
I've got a couple Basstrix trout swimbaits in the 8" size I like. Not made any more though. 3:16 lure company makes some good one. I'll probably throw a bulldawg more this year also.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Charlie's Leaders

tmusky1
Lieutenant

Post by tmusky1 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:39 pm

Gone Fishin, We've had pretty good luck with topwater baits on Mayfield. Magnum Zara Spooks are my favorite(I agree with musky guy, upgrade the hooks) but floating crankbaits also work well when twitched on top. As Deadeye mentioned, it's a confidence thing, if you're heart isn't in it, you won't work the lure to it's full potential. With both bass and muskies, I've found that topwaters work best on calm, muggy, overcast days. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:34 pm

As stated by the guys above, change out the hooks but also, and I feel it's even more important, is to change out the split rings on the hook hangers and the nose eye. Most bass type split rings will not hold up.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Charlie's Leaders

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:09 pm

Speaking of tackle. Sportsmans Warehouse has Creek Chub Wooden Pikie's for $9.00. I see their usually around $15.00. Not sure if they work for you guys/gals. Thought I'd mention it.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:59 pm

Muskies tend to chew up soft plastic lure bodies, and they aren't real cheap to replace, so I make repairs to get a couple more fish on them before discarding them. If you've tried to glue them, you probably already know that superglue doesn't stick to the plastic used in these lures, but PVC Pipe Cement does. It's available at hardware and plumbing supply stores; I keep a can of this stuff in my big tackle box with the spare line, reels, rod guides, hooks, and other tool and parts I use for making on-the-water tackle repairs. When they're badly ripped up, I also stitch them up with clear monofilament fishing line. You can improvise a sewing needle by straightening a small fish hook and flattening the barb with pliers. (It's easier to sew a lure together if you leave a little curvature in the "needle.")
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil cogley
Petty Officer

Post by phil cogley » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:39 pm

GF, I dont know how much more I can add.

bucktails and spinners: Like MG said start small and work bigger as weather gets warmer. Dont worry about colors as much as retrieval speed and the location you are using them at.

swimbaits: buy cheap ones if you are worried about them getting chewed up, Ive had fair luck with them, but found something that works better then them and can be fished in more situations.

Top water: I did not catch my first musky until last year on top water. I was just about ready to stop trying. I was at a garage sale and saw this big a$$ rubber frog for sale, the thing was huge, I thought only a pike will take this. I do have good luck with pike on toop water. I threw the big fella into the thick cabbage last summer and workd it slow and pulled out a nice tiger from the muck.

My best advice is to try one or two lures and fish them all day. I dont always follow my own advice, but when I do I have better luck.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:43 pm

It still might be to early but I have caught some nice pike in CD'A on a Rapala Magnum on a fast retrieve. With the recent cold spell that came through,I have no idea what would really work right now. Best of luck.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:45 pm

When a cold snap hits..your kinda screwed. I look for weed beds close to drop offs.If its cold and windy then you fish on in inside of points. The warmer water stays in the inside of the points. Or as I did in the fall TROLL..!!
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:49 pm

:-k Anyone using Crazy Crank Rumblers? I 've been looking at these in Musky Hunter and started checking around online at Thorne Bros.,Pastikas and everywhere else and see their all around 30.00 a piece. Just wondering if its worth it and if so any preferred colors or patterns?

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

kevinb wrote::-k Anyone using Crazy Crank Rumblers? I 've been looking at these in Musky Hunter and started checking around online at Thorne Bros.,Pastikas and everywhere else and see their all around 30.00 a piece. Just wondering if its worth it and if so any preferred colors or patterns?
I have one in Black/Red (I'll even let you throw it if we ever get out together, unless I left it in MN). I find them to be a little heavy. They had a problem with the first few batches where most of them would sink. As it is, I have to hold the rod fairly vertical on the retrieve to keep it from going under. Makes a nice sound, though. I've had a lot more action (in Minnesota, anyway) on LOWriders and Pacemakers. Haven't gotten any Muskie love on the Rumbler yet.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:12 pm

PDXFisher wrote:
kevinb wrote::-k Anyone using Crazy Crank Rumblers? I 've been looking at these in Musky Hunter and started checking around online at Thorne Bros.,Pastikas and everywhere else and see their all around 30.00 a piece. Just wondering if its worth it and if so any preferred colors or patterns?
I have one in Black/Red (I'll even let you throw it if we ever get out together, unless I left it in MN). I find them to be a little heavy. They had a problem with the first few batches where most of them would sink. As it is, I have to hold the rod fairly vertical on the retrieve to keep it from going under. Makes a nice sound, though. I've had a lot more action (in Minnesota, anyway) on LOWriders and Pacemakers. Haven't gotten any Muskie love on the Rumbler yet.
Thanks PDX, Muskie lures are usually pricey. So I should just deal with it. I just havn't heard any good or bad results on this lure. I will pick some up.

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:31 pm

kevinb wrote:[Thanks PDX, Muskie lures are usually pricey. So I should just deal with it. I just havn't heard any good or bad results on this lure. I will pick some up.
I wouldn't get more than one, if I were you. I think multiple colors on topwaters is kinda silly, just get a variety of makes so you can have different profiles and sounds. Have you had any luck with prop baits on Tapps? I've had both Muskies and Pike hit my LOWrider. If you don't have one of the those, I'd suggest you get one. They're especially great for rough weather. Pacemakers are very effective at dusk/night. I don't have any, but hear great things about Topwalkers.

Check out muskytackleonline for your lure needs. Aaron's prices are usually the best and he ships faster than anyone. He's a great guy and will answer questions over email for days. I've learned a lot from him. He's got the Rumbler for $21 (I have "Smashed Pumpkin" color).
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:39 pm

PDXFisher wrote:
kevinb wrote:[Thanks PDX, Muskie lures are usually pricey. So I should just deal with it. I just havn't heard any good or bad results on this lure. I will pick some up.
I wouldn't get more than one, if I were you. I think multiple colors on topwaters is kinda silly, just get a variety of makes so you can have different profiles and sounds. Have you had any luck with prop baits on Tapps? I've had both Muskies and Pike hit my LOWrider. If you don't have one of the those, I'd suggest you get one. They're especially great for rough weather. Pacemakers are very effective at dusk/night. I don't have any, but hear great things about Topwalkers.

Check out muskytackleonline for your lure needs. Aaron's prices are usually the best and he ships faster than anyone. He's a great guy and will answer questions over email for days. I've learned a lot from him. He's got the Rumbler for $21 (I have "Smashed Pumpkin" color).
No BS,every fish I've caught has been on Rapala Magnums and Husky Jerks. Its only been recently that I opened up my "arsenol" and bought bucktails or anything else.

PDXFisher
Petty Officer

Post by PDXFisher » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:48 pm

kevinb wrote:No BS,every fish I've caught has been on Rapala Magnums and Husky Jerks. Its only been recently that I opened up my "arsenal" and bought bucktails or anything else.
Well, if I can make it up for the Chapter 57 meeting, I'll bring my big Flambeau box (and a few Planos) so you can "window shop" a little. Unless we hit Tapps beforehand ;)

I've got way too many...it's an addiction. Watch out.