Open Seat

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Open Seat

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:56 pm

I plan on fishing 3-4 days a week starting here in a few weeks and most of the time I have an open seat. Don't know how many eastsiders are on here but I would love to go hit Silver or Newman with someone. If you are interested let me know

Outdrsguy
Petty Officer

RE:Open Seat

Post by Outdrsguy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Hello Gone Fishin

Was wondering what the perks might be for filling that empty seat you have..I was thinking some nice cold ones, hot wings, and maybe even a few heated towles in case a person would work up a sweat.

Have a great day!

Outdrsguy

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:57 pm

There is always cold ones involved on my boat!

Funny story about that! My buddy from Alaska and I were trying to boat our first Tigers, when he spilt his beer! I thought "Foul!" until about 3 seconds later he hooked a musky! We didnt even bother cleaning up the beer. I caught 2 more in the next two days! All my boat needed was a little beer, and presto the fish were practically jumping in the boat!.... well practically jumping in the boat might just be a little exageration but just a little one :)

Outdrsguy
Petty Officer

Post by Outdrsguy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 pm

I was just fooling with you!

I hope to be headed that way soon with my new boat to try those great lakes on your side of the mountains.
Thanks for having a sense of humor.

Outdrsguy

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:57 pm

I get a little envious of you guys on the east side since it warms up sooner and the muskies turn on sooner than on this side. Good luck to ya and make sure you post a report. I like pictures to.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:52 pm

G.F.- Every good muskie story involves a little, properly applied exaggeration. I happen to know a thing or two about the Eastside myself. If I could ever wet a line and net a muskie with you that would be great. Send me a p.m. or email, wamuskieguy@gmail if you would like and we can see if our schedules can jive.
How about the couple inches of snow this morning? I am sooooooooo ready for the winter to go buh-bye.

Scott
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

Deadeyemark
Commander

Post by Deadeyemark » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:07 am

Hey muskie guy,
This global warming is kickin my a$$. I'm running out of shorts and t-shirts.
Share The Thrill,
Practice Catch & Release
Mark

Fishing, Fun & Camaraderie
http://cascademuskyassociation.com/
Dedicated to the Tiger Musky Fishery of the Pacific Northwest

Ducktail Lures
Bikini Baits
Stan Durst Custom Lure Painting
Charlie's Leaders
Northwest Sportsman Magazine

Ty
Petty Officer

Post by Ty » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I stopped by the launch at Newman Wednesday afternoon. Theres some open water near the outlet and the ice looks likes its ready to start breaking up. No way to launch a boat there right now. I was thinking of borrowing a Jon boat and launching from the resort (used to be called cherakee landing, but its under new ownership now so Im not sure on the name). Theres enough open water there to tool around a bit.

I saw medical lake had some open water but Im not sure about Silver. Ive only fished Silver once or twice. I think the tigers there are still in the 40 inch range. Maybe a bit bigger.

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:48 am

I went out to Silver a couple days ago, sounds about the same as Newman. Some open water but the majority of the lake is still ice. Some of the muskies in silver are breaking the 40 inches I think muskie guy had a couple that were in that range. There are a lot knocking on the door to 40. No monsters yet.

muskie guy
Petty Officer

Post by muskie guy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:34 pm

G.F.- There were several 40" visitors in my boat last year and I am willing to bet this year will see some return visits. I did lose one fish that was, by my estimation, 44 inches. But he hit just in front of my leader and it was a short battle. And there was one caught, klunked on the head and hung up at Rubies that was well over 40". So there should be more this year that have passed the 40" mark handily.
I think the key to finding them (large ski) is knowing what forage base they prefer and the water depth that forage is in. The smaller fish key in on the crappie and bluegill early on in the spring and have followed them into the shallows. The bigger fish are out on the first drop off into deeper water hitting the trout and tench, then they move into the warmer water to digest.
Same thing happens out at Newman. It's always interesting to see how spring weather patterns effect the larger and smaller fish. The smaller muskie will move off the weed flats, which have shallow water that is more adversely effected by weather changes, into 8-12 feet of water. The bigger fish, that are staying off the flats move down into the waters they were wintering in. They can be difficult to find in the very early spring. I usually don't see any big ones up in the shallows until about the end of April. After that the docks become a key muskie attractor. The thermal effect they have on the water attracts every thing.
Curlew is crazy in the spring. I've been up there during mid week and counted more than 20 BIG muskie up sunning themselves along the shore line. None of them are bitters, but some will fallow a small, slowly cranked lure and tease you with 50 inches of tiger. Again, the big active fish are out deeper while the big fish up shallow are digesting.
I like to stay deeper than 8 feet in the spring when looking for big muskie. If I'm out just to get something on the line for a begginer then the smaller fish up shallow will do just fine.
Shhh...my Common Sense is tingling.
Deadpool

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Well sounds like I need to be hitting Curlew with you! Haven't fished it yet but definately want to!

Riverman
Petty Officer

Post by Riverman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:52 pm

Got up to snow here on the eastside this morn Mark, it's going to be awhile yet.

Jed V.

Gone Fishin
Lieutenant

Post by Gone Fishin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:23 am

What was with it snowing half the day yesterday! crazy.... anybody know when the pike in the pend orielle river are fishable? If winter ever decides to leave and spring shows up maybe these damn lakes would finish thawing... I'm getting impatient waiting to start fishing. I think I am going to hit rock lake on my days off this week. Some nice browns in there

cyberlunge
Petty Officer

Post by cyberlunge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:10 pm

Just a thought on the location of the different size fish. From my perspective what you are describing is typical behavior of fish that are spawning. Since the tigers are sterile they dont reproduce but that does not mean they dont have the urge and exhibit the same lake orientation. The bigger fish hanging out in the deeper water is typical behavior. Since both Esox luscius and E. Masquinongy share spawning habitat it would make sense to look for them in the same places as spawning true-breeds of both species. The reason Tigers are sterile is due to incompatibility of chromosomes in regards to re-combination IIRC but they still can make sex cells and exhibit spawning tendencies.
Kevin
I dont hate them so why do they treat me so badly?

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:04 pm

cyberlunge wrote:Just a thought on the location of the different size fish. From my perspective what you are describing is typical behavior of fish that are spawning. Since the tigers are sterile they dont reproduce but that does not mean they dont have the urge and exhibit the same lake orientation. The bigger fish hanging out in the deeper water is typical behavior. Since both Esox luscius and E. Masquinongy share spawning habitat it would make sense to look for them in the same places as spawning true-breeds of both species. The reason Tigers are sterile is due to incompatibility of chromosomes in regards to re-combination IIRC but they still can make sex cells and exhibit spawning tendencies.
Kevin
Kev. Where were you when I posted this question? :-" Just give'n you a hard time. Hurry up and get over here:cheers:

cyberlunge
Petty Officer

Post by cyberlunge » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:10 pm

38 days and counting...
Kevin

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:19 pm

cyberlunge wrote:38 days and counting...
Kevin
Alright...maybe are schedules can work and do some tiger fish'n.:cheers:

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 pm

Hey,
Get in, Sit Down, shut up and fish !!!
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

cyberlunge
Petty Officer

Post by cyberlunge » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:37 pm

I will be there from May 12th to July 18th, I am planning on trying to make one of the chapter outings and do as much other fishing as I can. looks like I will be spending most of my time on the East side around Spokane snce I will be staying in Richland. I will be dragging the Lund with me as I just cant stand the thought of all that water without my boat!!
Kevin

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:46 am

I was at Curlew yesterday. THe main lake is frozen solid. THe smaller section (southern part -I think its called rose bud or rose hip lake) was open and it shouldnt be long before the tigers are active in there? Cheers
The Chironomid Guy