Fished Johns Lake in Florida

Post your exotic destination fishing reports here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
M_ray
Angler

Fished Johns Lake in Florida

Post by M_ray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 am

I took the Kids to Disney last week and was able to get out on Johns lake in Orlando. I origanally wanted to fish Toho but My guide was doing well on Johns most of the week and with a front coming in his guess was that the fish would be ready to gorge. Our challenge was getting out there before the front hit us.

The first 15 or 20 minutes were hot the fish were chasing bait all over the lake and I was in a frenzy as much as the fish and didn't snap any pics of the first few, they weren't as cooperative as I thought but I did get about 4 before the front hit us and it was really tough after that.

once the rain hit the next two were pickerel on a shiner.

I did manage a few during the rains and the bummer is when it stopped it got hot again the last 15 minutes of light and that is when I lost the two biggest fish of the day right at the boat. One was probaly in the 5-6 pound range and the other made my guide sick cause he said it was probably one of the largest fish any of his clients had on and his estimate was 9-10 lbs!

Sorry I don't have any monsters to show you guy's but I'm just happy to have had the chance to get out on the water and fish. The rest were all about like these guy's.

It just figures that I would go Florida and have to fish in the rain huh?

A funny side note was that just before the front hit every other boat on the lake headed for the ramp, And after the rain started my guide got 5 phone calls and I heard him say " The dudes from Seattle, you think this is going to bother him!"
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuttkilla
Captain

RE:Fished Johns Lake in Florida

Post by kuttkilla » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:40 am

Looks like the front finally caught you guys. Good job with those fish! Sweet pics and that's sweet you were able to get out there in Florida. Too bad it had to rain on ya'll but it looks like you had a great time, nonetheless.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:13 am

Nice quality pics and nice fish. Too bad those lunkers got off at the boat. Fishin in the rain in Florida, think it would ruin a trip but sounds like you had a good attitude. Sucks they were using shiners and bobbers, that doesn't help your experience fishing in Washington where its illegall. Fortunatly, you might not have caught any on artificials. Thanks for posting.
aka Powerworm

M_ray
Angler

Post by M_ray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:57 am

Thanks guy's and Chris actually those pics just happend to be fish I caught on shiners but I did catch some on a black worm a horney toad and the other was I think some kind of chatter bait by Strike king? The reason I chose this particular guide was because the first 2 I called insisted that I use nothing but shiners and wanted me to buy 5-8 dozen @ 18 bucks a doz. for the day. When I told this guide that I wasn't big on the shiner thing and that I wanted to fish with what the water and structure in front of me dictated he said "cool you are welcome to use anything I have in my boat!" also his price included 2 doz shiners so I was able to try them also. But I will add the 2 big ones were hooked on shiners.
As far as making the best of it, I'm allways like that ... I'm like a little kid when I'm out fishin if you can't enjoy it with a big smile on your face no matter what the conditions are then you may as well stay home on the couch!

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:05 pm

Thats cool, thanks for clearing that up. I need to do a trip like that someday. Having fun is what counts and it looks like you accomplished that. Those other guides are making a killing off shiners, half you probably wouldn't even use.
aka Powerworm

M_ray
Angler

Post by M_ray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Those other guides are making a killing off shiners, half you probably wouldn't even use.
Right ... exactly! they tell you they will have them for you when you show up but you don't get to take home what you don't use!

M_ray
Angler

Post by M_ray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Sorry to who ever moved this report ... I am still getting famillar with this site and missed the Reports from beyond - outside Washington section! #-o

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:17 pm

Nice pics. Bro' I like the bass. But as a pike and muskie guy I also appreciate the pickerel(very cool colors) To bad the weather wasn't on your side. Thanks for sharring.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:08 pm

I do love Florida, and by the way it rained every afternoon for about 40 minutes when I was down there last September.

That shiner fishing is sooooo addictive, ain't it. I would fish a couple dozen shiners until I ran out and then work artificials until lunch. After lunch another dozen or two of shiners, then back to the lures until the afternoon thunderstorm. After the "all clear" horns would sound, it was time for topwaters.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Great report M_ray. Nice pics too. Looks like you got dumped on. Bummer about the big misses. At least you still got into some fish.
Did you get a good look at the big one?

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M_ray
Angler

Post by M_ray » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:18 am

and by the way it rained every afternoon for about 40 minutes
cavadad45- Yeah that would have been great if it was only a 40 min thing ... it lasted about 3 hrs!
I can see how your scenario would be the ticket, but when I first got out there and they were chasing baitfish all up on top I had about 15 min and caught the first few on that horney toad right on top. I just wanted to try it because I love seeing the top water take! but when it slowed down I'm no dummie and I love to catch them how ever I can so I definatly welcomed the shiner takes at that point ... frst time I had ever fished with them.
Did you get a good look at the big one?
fishnislife- Thanks, Yep we got a good look at her several boils on top and around the boat once with me trying to keep her out of the trolling motor then out of the outboard then she looked ready and he was looking to take a stab with a net but I said" I don't think she's ready" and just then she headed deep and under the boat so I got her worked up to the top again and she made the same run under the boat and came un-bottoned! so I probably had her on for a minute or so but it was still pretty exciting ... And I was ok with it but the guide was pissed and I just told him no big deal I've lost big fish before it's not the first time and it wont be the last!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearwoodglenn
Angler

Post by Clearwoodglenn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:16 pm

M_Ray, you are my hero. What M_Ray failed to tell everyone was the fact that he outfished the guide all day from the back of the boat. M_Ray you might be in the wrong line of work. When you join the tour I will gladly fish from the back of your boat. By the way, all's quiet on the lakes still here in Clearwood (SE Yelm).

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:40 pm

I've fished Florida Lakes before in the late 90's, Lake Okeechobee, Blue Cypress, Lake Toho, Farm pond 13 and Stick Marsh. And none of these lakes ever produced for us, we spent a bunch of money on shiners. We never really went in the peak of spawn, we always got there too early and there was a cold snap or got there too late and it was too hot. It is definetely an experience, but I wouldn't do it again unless we were there for Disney land trip. Shiners are pretty much the way to catch bass there consistently, only problem is that every other fish in the lakes like shiners, pickerals, gars, and dog fish.

I'm pretty bitter about that place, especially Toho, that year we got there in late January-early February and a serious cold snap shut the bass down, when we left, two weeks later they had a warm spree and there was Bass Tournament on Toho, Dean Rohos pulled in a 45lb sack and 100lb+tournament. Yup! We've had just bad luck at that place.

MRay, sounds like you had a good time man! I guess it's not my cup of tea.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beyond the Northwest -Bud N Mary's Marina, Sponsor”