F & W Commission Approves 50

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:F & W Commission Approves 50" Minimum Size

Post by kevinb » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:23 pm

Ty wrote:50" is excessive. Its not the educated fishermen that ruin our fisheries. Its the people that don't know any better. Twice last year at Newman I saw people with tigers. One guy and his wife were trout trolling and caught a nice 30-32 incher. They kept it saying its the biggest fish they had caught in freshwater. They thought it was some kind of pike. I told them what it was and that it was actually not a legal fish to keep do to the size. The woman got pissed and the guy looked baffled. I told them it was a nice fish and just be careful not to get caught with it. They were heading for the launch last I saw them.

The other ones I saw were kids, maybe 15-17 or so years old. Three of them in a beat up Jon boat with an electric motor on the back. They were around the submerged island and I was heading for that area looking for smallies. There was a huge commotion in the boat. One of them had a nice fish. Turned out to be a small tiger, looked about 24-26 inches. They were excited and whoopin and hollerin. I came over and congratulated them on their huge fish and mentioned it was to small to keep and that they had to be 36". They got pretty defiant and I felt like a tool for ruining their "trophy". They scooted on their way but kept their fish.

These are the people ruining the fishery. Not the ones that actually fish for the tigers and know the regulations. I think that a 50inch limit is excessive. Maybe a 42-44 inch limit at the most but a 36 inch limit was just fine considering the small numbers of tigers and the rarity they are caught. Silver lake in spokane county wont even have 50 inch fish for another year or 3. Newman is incredibly hard to locate them in even though its perfect habitat.

Raising the limit to 50 inches would have denied me my 42 inch wall hanger I get back from Gary Blew's taxidermy at the end of this month. Its the biggest fish Ive ever caught and not from lack of trying. Ive been trying to catch tigers in newman for 4 years about and ive only hooked a couple and landed one. You can tell me about replicas all you want. But a replica is a taxidermists embellished reproduction of a picture and an exaggerated story told by the fisherman. Its fake. Its nothing but foam and paint. Gary Blew skinned my fish in front of me and filleted it out, giving me the meat right there.

90% of my fishing is C&R however. I keep the occasional 6lb+ bass and most of the legal keepers if Im having a good day. I like the taste of the fish and it tastes that much better if I caught it myself.
Maybe find a new taxidermist. Take a photo and measure your fish,not very complicated. The only embellished and exaggerated story will be the one you tell.

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:49 am

You really can't go wrong with a replica mount. Plus the fish gets to go free to fight and give a thrill to someone else. Remember Ty, these Tigers do not reproduce so if you take em' obviously they won't get replaced. I respect your right to keep the TROPHY.But now if you get a 50 will ya take that one too because you can? Or since you've got your TROPHY are you good?
Remember "They got pretty defiant and I felt like a tool for ruining their "trophy". They scooted on their way but kept their fish." as a outdoors man you kinda have the obligation to report those guys. "These are the people ruining the fishery" as you stated..You should have reported them.
The 6 lb bass...that was a good "Gene Line " taken from that lake to eat? To his is own I guess...See Yah!
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

Ty
Petty Officer

Post by Ty » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:31 am

I won't keep another tiger unless its a state record. The mount I had done cost plenty as it was.

You can look up some of Gary Blew's work. He won his share of competitions, no need for me to get a foam carver as a replacement.

Keep in mind we are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how they disagree with others. I'll post a pic of my mount as soon as I get it.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Ty wrote:I won't keep another tiger unless its a state record. The mount I had done cost plenty as it was.

You can look up some of Gary Blew's work. He won his share of competitions, no need for me to get a foam carver as a replacement.

Keep in mind we are all entitled to our opinions, no matter how they disagree with others. I'll post a pic of my mount as soon as I get it.
Of coarse your entitled to your opinion. But bare in mind we only have 7 lakes containing Tiger Muskies. It is my opinion that this is a sensative fishery. Every muskie pulled out is one less in these waters. I would only ask you to reconsider your approach to tiger muskies.
Take care.

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Muskie Inc.'s official policy is to encourage catch and release AND not criticize anyone for keeping a legal musky. I mounted my first legal, a 34-incher from Minnesota, and looking at the mount still helps me get through long winters. I have absolutely no problem with Ty mounting his trophy. I'm sure that Ty, after catching more of those lovely 42 to 44 inchers, won't think twice about releasing them because like the rest of us he'll want them to grow up to be 30-pounders!

It's pointless to re-argue the 50-inch rule. It's impossible to write a law or regulation that makes everyone happy. There will always be disagreement over things like this, no matter how much we argue over it. I believe most people are honest and want to follow the rules. That's where education comes in.

Wisconsin's experience is instructive. That state has a 34-inch minimum, yet 99% of the muskies caught there are released. That's what I want to see happen here. We won't get there by getting confrontational with people. It's human nature to get defensive, and rarely if ever is that approach productive. Implementing this regulation will consist of 99% education and 1% enforcement. Don't try to be an amateur game warden. Leave law enforcement to those paid to do it; the public education portion is our job.

If you decide to report a fishing or hunting violation, don't tell the violator you're reporting him, be low-key about getting vehicle license or boat registration numbers, write down a description of the violator and all other relevant particulars (i.e., don't trust memory), and be willing to appear in court as a witness if asked or the warden won't be able to do anything.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KUP
Commander

Post by KUP » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:36 pm

Well put, Don.

"While it is Muskies Inc. policy to encourage the careful release of healthy Muskies,
that are not personal trophies to the angler,
it is not our policy to intimidate or pressure any angler or group of anglers into releasing Muskies.
We lead by example."

It's read at every Chapter meeting for a reason.

Heck no it is not easy at times.
But I want mine to be a program of attraction, not promotion.

I can do a lot with encouragement and education.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger Muskies are sterile.
You can't keep them under 50 inches:
Let them do their job: Eating N.P.Minnows

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 pm

REMEMBER.........50 INCH LIMIT!!!! Not 24 ,not 36, not 19, not 48 get the picture?And anything close to 53 get a picture!!........Just a reminder since the signs are not up and the new regs aren't printed yet...See yah
Todd Reis
Musky Team

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Take it easy Muskyhunter. Stress is not good for us.
Rosann
Ever have a Tiger by the tail? I have!
Aspire to inspire before you expire.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 am

I still have the flyer. I havn't been up that way since Sunday. I will try to get into N.Tapps either later today or tomorrow.
Kevin

pikenmuskiegirl
Angler

Post by pikenmuskiegirl » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:07 pm

For someone that has been obsessed with hunting the elusive tiger muskie for a couple of years and never caught one this is great news. Hopefully word will get out and more of these beauties will be allowed to get to this size. I've had a line in the water at Newman Lake for the last 3 years and have yet to get a muskie- although just about everyone I've taken over the years has had the opp. Never kept one though. Thanks for the info and also on the education of the horizontal hold (should I ever catch one- haha!)

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:24 pm

pikenmuskiegirl wrote:For someone that has been obsessed with hunting the elusive tiger muskie for a couple of years and never caught one this is great news. Hopefully word will get out and more of these beauties will be allowed to get to this size. I've had a line in the water at Newman Lake for the last 3 years and have yet to get a muskie- although just about everyone I've taken over the years has had the opp. Never kept one though. Thanks for the info and also on the education of the horizontal hold (should I ever catch one- haha!)
Check out the website http://www.nwtigermuskies.com/index.html
Feel free to post any questions you have here in the forums.
Don't worry about getting skunked,just look at it as your overdue for something bigger.:cheers:

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:38 pm

pikenmuskiegirl wrote:For someone that has been obsessed with hunting the elusive tiger muskie for a couple of years and never caught one this is great news. Hopefully word will get out and more of these beauties will be allowed to get to this size. I've had a line in the water at Newman Lake for the last 3 years and have yet to get a muskie- although just about everyone I've taken over the years has had the opp. Never kept one though. Thanks for the info and also on the education of the horizontal hold (should I ever catch one- haha!)
Welcome to the site. You've came to the right place to get your Muskie questions answered. The Musky guys on this site are real passionate about the sport and are great guys/gals. I think you'll find the same. I'm sure their are some people here with some knowledge on Newman and can help you out so you can get that first hook up.
You have some great passion/motivation to keep working for many years with now strikes to show. I salute you for that.
Stick around. You'll like it here. You'll learn a lot and can probably snag an open seat and get some field experience
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sun May 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Heyyah kids,
Not wantin to beat a subject into the ground but.....The 50 inch minimum for tigers...This goes for all 7 of the lakes in this great state of Washington.The 7 lakes are as follow:Evergreen Reservoir,Mayfield,Merwin Reservoir, Silver (spokane),Newman and Lake Tapps.
I've been reading alot..alot of the fishing reports. Some folks do not know that the rule has changed but it has..It is a revision of the 36 inch limit that no longer exists..the rule is in the regulations and folks needs read,acknowledge and follow these new rules. I know the rule change is pretty drastic but it was done for good reasons.
So please ladies and gentleman, respect the rule change. And follow it. If a sportsman went out and started hunting Elk for instance, that person should read the rules that apply to this beast and would be expected to know the rules when hunting it. Same goes for the Tigers please, if you fish them do your homework.Check the regs, Know the regs and follow the regs...thanks
Todd Reis
Musky Team

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 09, 2008 12:17 pm

muskyhunter wrote:Heyyah kids,
Not wantin to beat a subject into the ground but.....The 50 inch minimum for tigers...This goes for all 7 of the lakes in this great state of Washington.The 7 lakes are as follow:Evergreen Reservoir,Mayfield,Merwin Reservoir, Silver (spokane),Newman and Lake Tapps.
I've been reading alot..alot of the fishing reports. Some folks do not know that the rule has changed but it has..It is a revision of the 36 inch limit that no longer exists..the rule is in the regulations and folks needs read,acknowledge and follow these new rules. I know the rule change is pretty drastic but it was done for good reasons.
So please ladies and gentleman, respect the rule change. And follow it. If a sportsman went out and started hunting Elk for instance, that person should read the rules that apply to this beast and would be expected to know the rules when hunting it. Same goes for the Tigers please, if you fish them do your homework.Check the regs, Know the regs and follow the regs...thanks
Thought I'd just randomly click on this thread:-"

Great reminder too:-"

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 pm

kevinb wrote:

Didn't they stock some in Green Lake in Seattle?

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri May 09, 2008 2:07 pm

fishing collector wrote:
kevinb wrote:

I wish...but no

Kenster
Lieutenant

Post by Kenster » Sat May 10, 2008 10:25 am

kevinb wrote:
fishing collector wrote:
kevinb wrote: Thought I'd just randomly click on this thread:-"

I wish...but no
Actually yes they did, I believe to eat the carp but they chose all the tasty trout! So they terminated the program.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sat May 10, 2008 11:15 am

Thanks Kenster

I've heard Green lake mentioned many times,but thought they were talking about Green Lake near Omak..](*,)

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat May 10, 2008 5:20 pm

The rule is for all lakes with Tigers in them. I only listed the 7 main ones that are still in the Musky Program and are currently being restocked..Green Lake was stocked a few years back. Like Kenster stated. But apparently not many left...or any. Though a lady did say she saw one by the main dock where they rent the water toys. But that was a while ago...I think that there still may be more than what over people think..the trout fishery is pretty good there..hmm. Just one guys opinion...other lakes that were stocked were Fazon,Red Rock..there are a few others but cant think of them off the top of my head..
Todd Reis
Musky Team

Don Wittenberger
Commander

Post by Don Wittenberger » Sat May 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Green Lake received a single plant of 150 tiger muskie 1-year-old fingerlings in 2000. WDFW hoped they would eat the carp, but that experiment was a bust; they ate trout instead. Any survivors would now be 9 years old, which is beyond their normal life expectancy. Fazon, Red Rock, and South Lewis Ponds also received not-repeated stockings a number of years ago. It's unlikely any tiger muskies remain in any of these waters.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 10, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.