Brown Trout

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Palmer
Warrant Officer

RE:Brown Trout

Post by Palmer » Sun May 20, 2007 12:44 pm

15 years ago on Pine Lake, we used to inject worms with air and float them 3 - 4 feet off the bottom. We would cast out from the beach inbetween the cedar trees, North of the dock. We kept the lines loose with green line floating on the water. The idea being that they wouldn't feel any tension on the bait. When the line started to tighten then we set the hook. We caught browns up to 5 pounds back then. I don't fish there any more but I did catch a 22" bow about 5 years ago trolling a worm behind a ford fender.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 20, 2007 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tug's the Drug

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:47 pm

I get a brown here and there at Pine Lake...I don't care much to fish there, its way too crowded, and no size to any fish..The occasional holdover/brown, but the last 10 times I fished there, I got like 2 browns and 3 holdovers...I got a better spot, but unfortunately, no browns..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 pm

They're definately more aggressive than their cousins the Rainbow trout. I hooked into a 21 incher earlier this year while fishing for bass. I caught it on a watermellon seed grub with a quarter ounce jig head. Talk about one heck of a fight... I was stunned when I saw what I had reeled in. Watch out for their teeth. While attempting to take the grub out, I inadvertantly snagged my thumb on three of its sharp teeth. The wound went deep, and it looked like someone had taken a cheese grater to my hand. Of course, I'd take any wound for a fish like that though.
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

beerman1981
Commander

Post by beerman1981 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 21, 2007 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember two things, love Washington and leave only your footprints behind!

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Mon May 21, 2007 6:02 pm

My partners and I are still getting them on Medical and West Medical. Every one of them has come from right off the bottom in 25-30 feet of water, in the middle of the day in bright, sunny conditions. None of them were suspended like their rainbow counterparts. But one of our group has yet to catch a brown. Reason? He concentrates on shallower water, 15 feet and less, where in my opinion browns are less likely to be found. But I have heard of guys getting them in the shallows in the evenings, when the shadows are on the lake and the browns move shallow to begin feeding.

In past years I've had great success with Medical's browns by tossing tent wing caddis and parachute adams dries during the last hour or so of daylight. It's still early though and I suspect I'll have the same success late this month and in June.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:17 pm

try matching a rapala to the fish in the body of water you are fishing, or whole night crawlers. and a little known secret is bass poppers at night. good luck

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:55 pm

I asked the Cove at Fish Lake, Chelan County, and they said most of the Browns are caught in the fall. I've read up on them and I hear they like shade and debree. They are in shallower water in the fall. They bite more in the early morning and late evening. They prefer flies, rapalas, and flatfish.
Tug's the Drug