Bass fishing in pierce county

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Henry
Petty Officer

Bass fishing in pierce county

Post by Henry » Sat May 19, 2007 4:56 pm

trying to find a good place to go bass fishing were I live

littleriver
Commander

RE:Bass fishing in pierce county

Post by littleriver » Sat May 19, 2007 5:19 pm

Lots of good bass lakes in Pierce County but the only ones I can speak to from personal experience are Kapowsin, Harts, and rapjohn.....

I've caught some nice ones out of Kapowsin but that was prior to the new boat ramp being built... It may be taking a lot more pressure now... my experience in this lake has been best during the really warm months of july and august..... I've never done very well on bass there when the water is cool.... Hart's is OK.. I've watched some nice fish being caught there but never done very well myself... some very "bassy" lily pads but there's a resort on the se shore and fairly steady pressure for a smaller lake.........

only fished rapjohn once and didn't catch anything but it looked very good. It was early may when I fished it and the wind was blowing hard and water was still in the 50s. this lake looks bassy though and I'm going to get back there on a nice day in June one of these years to see if the lilypads that cover most of the shallow shoreline water of the lake will give up some of their cargo...

fished OHOP once also but it was late winter and not much action.... lots of lake houses along the shorelines here and shorelines are fairly steep along the east and west shorelines.. only extensive lilypads are at the far ends of the lake.... but still, I hear rumors of very large bass coming out of this lake from time to time....
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

kartman253
Petty Officer

Post by kartman253 » Sat May 19, 2007 6:33 pm

you have american lake , spanaway lake , kapowsin would be my choice but the water still needs to warm up.

danielt
Commander

Post by danielt » Sat May 19, 2007 6:37 pm

kapowsin, tanwax, ohop, alder (might be outside of pierce) spanaway, american...

Basser
Petty Officer

Post by Basser » Sun May 20, 2007 10:38 pm

Kapowsin is a tuff lake at times, it's hot or it's not. Fish are always late to get going on this lake.

Volk
Petty Officer

Post by Volk » Wed May 23, 2007 3:15 pm

i have been to clear lake a few times this year, but focused on trout and kokanee. however the past 2 times (all within a week), I was trolling the shoreline in search of bass and noticed lots of them. Last week, they were in schools of 15-50 in various spots just floating around. The water here is so clear that you can see down about 15-20 ft easy. The ones I saw were in about 8-12ft. I threw senkos, cranks and spinners but nothing worked. Obviously in spawn mode. Went out this morning and noticed those schools weren't there anymore. But did see a few swimming around with more life and zip than last week. Maybe this means they are done spawning and ready to eat? I tossed around a silver and black crankbait and got a bite near the top of the water but he threw it off as he came out of the water. Then used a baby bass crank and ended up catching a rainbow, weird.

ComeFishing09
Angler

Post by ComeFishing09 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:27 pm

They are a little out of Pierce county but worth the drive.
Last Memorial day weekend myself and a buddy hit, Hicks, St. Clare and long lake for the 3 day weekend. I Will be doing that agian this year. 15 min down I-5 and have some fun. Lots of bass.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Wed May 23, 2007 11:45 pm

American lake , Spanaway lake, Kapowsin and believe it or not even Lake Steilacoom are great for bass. If you can get on to Ft. Lewis, there is always Lewis Lake. Me and one of my buddies go there every now and then and do great. Spinner or f9 silver rapala do awesome.
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rosskie
Petty Officer

Post by rosskie » Mon May 28, 2007 11:00 pm

Also on Fort Lewis North Post is Sequilichew. It has some bigguns in it. Seen some, caught and released a couple. be better if you had a no gas motor boat or float tube. lots of structure and food for bass.