Where are the suckers?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
muskyhunter
Captain

RE:Where are the suckers?

Post by muskyhunter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:03 pm

Grab a bow...Zip a nice sharp arrow through their gill plate. Or just hit em with an oar!! Then bury them in the garden..
Todd Reis
Prostaff Auburn Sports & Marine
Musky Team
www.auburnsportsmarineinc.com
Fish Country Sporting Goods

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:04 pm

muskyhunter wrote:Grab a bow...Zip a nice sharp arrow through their gill plate. Or just hit em with an oar!! Then bury them in the garden..
LOL

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 pm

fishnislife wrote:
muskyhunter wrote:Grab a bow...Zip a nice sharp arrow through their gill plate. Or just hit em with an oar!! Then bury them in the garden..
LOL

fishnislife
HA HA HA. Just once fellas...I'd like to try that.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:49 am

For Carp - Like GPC said, there are tons of bait recipes on the net. But I have always just used worms, corn, or just white bread mashed onto the hook, and lots of patience. Also - if you are not holding your pole, secure it somehow - I've seen more than one pole taken into the lake when people didn't have them in hand or secured. #-o

I would LOVE to try bowfishing sometime - sounds like a blast.:bom:
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:56 am

colton wrote:what do you use to catch carp. i heard canned corn?
There are a lot of different baits/methods and I am no expert, but I am learning through reading/learning from the best fisherman I can.

My heros, in the fishing world, are Andy and Corey Bevings from www.roughfish.com. They have caught more fish than I will ever hope to.

Andy/Corey wrote: Carp are found in both rivers and lakes, but are most often encountered in rivers. Lake carp are very different from their riverine brethren, and grow larger. Adult carp feed mainly on aquatic insects, but have been known to eat minnows, seeds, and crayfish as well.

The most popular baits for carp are: Boilies and Doughbaits (specifically concocted carp baits made from bread dough and a variety of secret ingedients), Nightcrawlers, Corn, and artificial flies. At some point in the future I might divulge the recipe for my deadly "Crimson Death" carp bait, but doing so might endanger carp populations throughout the world. Overall, nightcrawlers work day in and day out, and will often outfish all other methods here in the United States. Flies for carp are usually some type of sinking nymph, although there are times when dry flies are called for as well.
Here is a link to the gallery of pictures by a fellow who lives just accross the river in Oregon and is in persute of the carp on the fly. http://www.roughfish.com/index.php?opti ... =27&gid=24

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:42 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:For Carp - Like GPC said, there are tons of bait recipes on the net. But I have always just used worms, corn, or just white bread mashed onto the hook, and lots of patience. Also - if you are not holding your pole, secure it somehow - I've seen more than one pole taken into the lake when people didn't have them in hand or secured. #-o

Whats up Gringo, what they say you are supposed to do is just use a regular pole holder and get a spinning reel with a clicker, then set the drag very loose, and when the carps get hooked the drag starts singing (that lets you know you have one hooked) but it dosnt pull your pole into the water.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 pm

gpc wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:For Carp - Like GPC said, there are tons of bait recipes on the net. But I have always just used worms, corn, or just white bread mashed onto the hook, and lots of patience. Also - if you are not holding your pole, secure it somehow - I've seen more than one pole taken into the lake when people didn't have them in hand or secured. #-o

Whats up Gringo, what they say you are supposed to do is just use a regular pole holder and get a spinning reel with a clicker, then set the drag very loose, and when the carps get hooked the drag starts singing (that lets you know you have one hooked) but it dosnt pull your pole into the water.
You are right, missed that point. But if your still fishing for planter trout in carp waters you probably wouldn't think about it too much. I know better now. But it was something I learned from experience when I was a kid. Lost my 1st rod/reel to a carp. I miss that ol Zebco..:-({|=
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Palmer
Warrant Officer

Post by Palmer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:55 am

The Skykomish River has some kind of white fish that looks like a sucker. I think the season was open until the end of February. They only get to be about 15" or at least that's all that I've seen in there.
Tug's the Drug