Pier Fishing

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
daveenlola
Petty Officer

Pier Fishing

Post by daveenlola » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:05 pm

So is it legal to fish for kings off any pier? Can I fish any fish off any pier? What are the hot spots this time of year? Where would i go for good pier perch? And one las question is crabbing off the docks legal all year too?

fishingmachine
Admiral

RE:Pier Fishing

Post by fishingmachine » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm

crabbing is closed off piers to let u know
i know in the summer seacrest pier in elliot bay is good for kings as well as edmonds pier

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Area 10 is closed now. Fishing off piers is legal to do so when the marine area they are in is open for king retention. Same goes for crabs. Crabbing season has been done for a while. If I were you, I'd pick out a regs and rules book and start identifying which marine area you want to go to and see which ones are open or not...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am

I don't believe a person is exempt from fishing season restrictions because he/she is fishing from a pier unless the pier is specified in the rules pamphlet. So if the season is closed for a specific species of fish, it would be unlawful to fish for that species from a pier or otherwise unless the pier is specifically listed. Depending on where you want to pier fish, some areas are open year-round for surfperch, rock sole, and sanddab, the latter two are basically flounder. I also noticed that other species like trout, sturgeon, albacore tuna, mackerel, herring, smelt, and a few others which are al listed in the rules pamphlet are open year-round but may have special restrictions like catch and release which I know applies to trout except steelhead. There may also be minimum size requirements.

The following areas are open for salmon year-round but may have special rules and or restrictions such as minimum size limit, daily limit, wild Chinook or Coho salmon release requirements ect: Check the Rules Pamphlet before fishing.

AREA 11 Tacoma-Vashon is open year-round for salmon from several piers which are listed.

AREA 13 South Puget Sound is open year-round for salmon from the Fox Island Public Fishing Pier.

AREA 10 Seattle-Bremerton is open year-round for salmon from several piers which are listed.

AREA 9 Edmonds is open year-round for salmon from the Edmonds Public Fishing Pier.

So there you go. Some piers are open year-round for salmon. As suggested, it’s a good idea to get a copy of the rules pamphlet which is free where ever fishing licenses are sold, and have a look.

As for crabbing, the Pacific Ocean – Grays Harbor, Willapa Bay, and Marine AREA 4 (west of Bonilla-Tatoosh line) is open year-round for Dungeness and Red Rock crab using gear other than a pot. This area does have a winter season where pots are authorized. The other location open to year-round crabbing is the Columbia River. See page 130 in the 2007 Rules Pamphlet for specifics and additional information. The crab seasons that are set in the pamphlet can and often do change. Best practice is to check the WDFW shellfish page on line for the most updated season and additional rules information. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck and good fishing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveenlola
Petty Officer

Post by daveenlola » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Right on, Thanks guys. I was in New Orleans for the last year and couldnt remember our rules up here. Im getting salt water fever. I dont want to fish from piers but i can put my boat on my buick.
Thanks for the help

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:54 pm

Dave wrote:I don't believe a person is exempt from fishing season restrictions because he/she is fishing from a pier unless the pier is specified in the rules pamphlet. So if the season is closed for a specific species of fish, it would be unlawful to fish for that species from a pier or otherwise unless the pier is specifically listed.
There is one pier that I believe that is open year around for salmon retention? I couldn't name it off the top of my head and I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct...

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:21 pm

You can also get the WDFW 2007-2008 Sportfishing Rules online via the "LINKS" button at the top of this page...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm

There are a few peirs in area 11 that you are allowed to fish from all year. You are also allowed to keep salmon 12 months out of the year as well. Des Moines pier is one of the peirs. I have fished des moines every month of the year and unless its summer or fall you are just wasting your time, if you want salmon. Right now its ussually pretty good for perch and the dock gets pretty packed come the ling opener.

daveenlola
Petty Officer

Post by daveenlola » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:08 pm

Des Moines is where i used to fish a lot, they have ling there? What do you use for perch, clam necks?

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 pm

daveenlola wrote:Des Moines is where i used to fish a lot, they have ling there? What do you use for perch, clam necks?
Yeah they have lings at Des Moines, I dont know how many but there seems to be a lot of people fishing for them. For the perch it seems like anything you throw out there will work. The 2 best baits I would have to say would be shrimp (just prawns from QFC) and night crawlers. I could see clam necks doing real well too, but there isnt a local store in Des Moines that carries them.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:41 pm

gpc: you get my pm? Check your inbox....