Berkely vs. Eagle Claw

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gpc
Admiral

Berkely vs. Eagle Claw

Post by gpc » Tue May 15, 2007 8:19 pm

The bait that I use most often for trout is probally dough bait. For years Iv used Berkely power bait and love it. Eagle Claw nitro has been around for a little while but is now just starting to get more popular. I have tried nitro but dont do as well. The nitro is cheaper however. One of my buddys says he does the same on either bait. Whats your guys' opinion?

fishnislife
Admiral

RE:Berkely vs. Eagle Claw

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 pm

Berkley! Hands down.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Berkley, and use Power Eggs in place of dough for best results.

bigastrout
Commander

Post by bigastrout » Tue May 15, 2007 9:36 pm

I am a big Berkly fan and have not really soaked to much of the Nitro bait. But the Nitro did work when I used it and I have some friends who swear by it. The Power Egg still remains my favorite.
Read The Reg's And Pick Up Someones Trash Since They Can't

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed May 16, 2007 12:48 pm

You guys know your trout, Berkely is the BOSS

How about the YUM trotkrilla or the Mikes dough bait. There is more dough bait out there anybody use that stuff?Another thing they just came out with is GULP! powerbait anybody used that?

I also like to use the power eggs. I dont mind the eagle claw eggs but the GULP! eggs are my favorite with the regular Berkey comng in at a close second.

The other powebait that I like is the Brkely natural scents. I own all for: Perywinkle (purple), Night crawler (brown), Salmon egg (pinkish/ yellowish) and Corn (bright yellow). The only two that work for me are the corn and salmon egg, Iv tried the other 2 a lot but for no fish. I think it is just the color scheme. Yellow is a pretty productive trout catching color while brown and purple arnt. OPINIONS

The other think that Iv found really productive are the berkely hatchery nuggets. Used by them selves are all right but what I do is break one of the nuggets in half and roll it in the middle of the "hot color" for that lake, with just a little bit of the brown nugget exposed. However Iv never caught anything big doing this just hatchery bows

BIG PaPa
Angler

Post by BIG PaPa » Wed May 16, 2007 1:11 pm

=d> It is an easy pic. berkely hands down . But the real question is what color to use. I use only two for most of my trout fishing it is the first two that berkely came out with. Orange and pink

wolverine
Captain

Post by wolverine » Wed May 16, 2007 2:10 pm

I like the Berkley product the best followed by Yum. I have so many jars of the paste baits that I probably confuse the fish as well as myself. I let the fish make the decision each day as to whats the best formula and color. Every day and every lake can be different.
Life's short - fish hard!

glastron876
Petty Officer

Post by glastron876 » Wed May 16, 2007 4:39 pm

Berkley - Orange - Chroma Glow has always been my favorite - seems to work best in some of the lakes here in Spokane area. I have fished next to others that use other brands / colors and had better luck with the Berkley, even nest to someone using the standard (non-chroma) type power bait. Of course I will switch to pink in some instances and do just as well when the bites on the orenage slow down or subside.

I have used the (Orange) power nuggets w/ the Yellow dough and done well also

I ahve never used GULP for Trout - how effective is it really ? Guess I will just have to try someday.
"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day. Teach someone to fish and you get rid of them for the whole weekend"

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu May 17, 2007 5:29 pm

the 2 colors that I use the most are rainbow and chartrues but wolverine is right its best to let the fish decide. I probally caught a trout on every color that I own this year. Every time I see a powerbait by berkely that I dont own I MUST pick it up, so I have close to every color in fact if there is a color out there that I dont own then I am jelous LOL. I even buy the "swirl" colors even if I alredy own both of the colors and can make it my self. Another thing that works really well are the crappie nibbles. My unexpierenced fishing buddy put it on a boober one day and did really well for trout. They dont float like reg. powerbait this allows you to fish it under a bobber w/o having the powerbait float along next to the bobber. The color that I found works the best is glitter pink

GeryG
Warrant Officer

Post by GeryG » Thu May 17, 2007 11:06 pm

I could fill a shoe box with all the dough baits I have. Power bait is hard to beat, but there are lakes that like the nitro better. I use some other brand mostly :-# But I havent used any Yum yet, guess I try some of that to, Walmart carries that. So it shouldnt cost as much as Gulp=d>
fishinwithg

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri May 18, 2007 7:30 pm

Has anybody noticed that all GULP! brand powereggs when left out dry up , get smaller, and turn hard. Where as the regular Berkely powereggs last forever if they are left in the jar or not. I think it might be the strong scent but Im not sure, GULP! brand has way more scent than regular

GeryG
Warrant Officer

Post by GeryG » Fri May 18, 2007 9:37 pm

gpc

Thats interesting on the Gulp eggs drying up. On another fishing web site we were talking about soaking power eggs in scent.
These dryed Gulp eggs might soak up scent better than the normal power eggs, that seem like rubber. The sponge effect. I was
eyeing them at the store the other day, but didnt have enough money to buy those and a new down rigger ball. I'll have to pick some
up and experiment with them.
fishinwithg

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat May 19, 2007 12:47 am

GeryG wrote:gpc

Thats interesting on the Gulp eggs drying up. On another fishing web site we were talking about soaking power eggs in scent.
These dryed Gulp eggs might soak up scent better than the normal power eggs, that seem like rubber. The sponge effect. I was
eyeing them at the store the other day, but didnt have enough money to buy those and a new down rigger ball. I'll have to pick some
up and experiment with them.
fishinwithg
Thats very intresting I never thought of that. I will have to give that a try as well. The GULP! is pretty expensive $5.99 at the same store you can get the reg. Berkeley for $3.99 a jar I know you get what you pay for and I like the GULP! more but in my opinoin they arent worth $2.00 more. But for this experement you do have to go "all out"

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun May 20, 2007 12:35 am

Pink Berkley Power eggs...I've been putting those on first and they seem to work well and I haven't had to try any other colors...
To me, its not so much the color as it is the scent, the location and the height of leader...Most feeding fish are actively cruising it seems, so it's not like you cast it in front of a fish sitting there and they don't like the chartruese, but then you cast out there and they take the orange...It's just a matter of the fish being there, not so much the color...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Wed May 30, 2007 9:19 pm

power bait is definaitly superior

bhuynh
Angler

Post by bhuynh » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:41 pm

never caught a things on the nitro, the power eggs and nuggets on the other hand........

tcb
Warrant Officer

Post by tcb » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:37 am

On my last trip, someone using power eggs outfished me using powerbait almost 2:1, irritating me so much so that I switched to power eggs.

There was another thread regarding the eggs vs. powerbait discussion a few weeks ago.