Medical Lake Regulations Change

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Medical Lake Regulations Change

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:45 pm

This was just posted by the WDFW about three Spokane Area Lakes:

(Update 02/21/08) Three Spokane County lakes - Downs, Liberty and Medical - open to fishing March 1 for the first time this year. The shift from the traditional last Saturday in April opener was made in the sportfishing regulations that go into effect May 1, but a rule change was just approved to make the March opening date effective this year. All three lakes have fisheries that can be productive earlier, pending weather conditions. Downs Lake, in the southwest corner of the county, has perch, largemouth bass, crappie, and rainbow trout. Medical Lake, near the town of the same name, has large brown, rainbow, and tiger trout. Liberty Lake, east of Spokane near the Idaho border, has largemouth and smallmouth bass, perch, crappie, and brown and rainbow trout.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/weekendr/weekendr.htm

Remember! Medical Lake is a Selective Gear Lake- NO BAIT, single barbless hook.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobra
Angler

RE:Medical Lake Regulations Change

Post by Cobra » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:03 pm

This is a wonderful change in the regs. I am looking forward to having a fabulous time in March and early April fishing chironomids on this lake. :cheers:

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:49 pm

I have my doubts of getting in the water on the first of the month. Today they had the Polar Bear Plunge out there and they had to chip the ice away from the shore to hold the event.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:53 am

Thanks for the update Marc. Liberty might be a good one to hit after ice-out and before water skiers. :cheers:
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Marc, interesting news. I am sure that Downs will be a welcome early opener for perch, but I hope the Bass guys, me included, practice catch and release. I suspect that the Crappie will be in for a bit of pressure as well.

Medical Lake, you know I have never tried fishing it. Perhaps this year I will get out there early, before all the other options start to turn on.

Liberty? Well who knows; access is so limited that if we can beat the water skiers it might just be possible to actually get on the lake.

I'll bet some of us get nasty remarks from those that don't read the F & W internet postings.:-"
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

raffensg64
Commander

Post by raffensg64 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Awesome news, Marc, thanks for the update!!! Here's the downside...the poachers will be out early now on Medical, so here's a handy number. 565-5003 is the direct line to the Medical Lake Police Department. They can and WILL respond more quickly than the WDFW officers. Their HQs is situated less than mile from either end of the lake. You'll definitely need it to call in those who don't heed this gem's regulations.

Folks, what are your thoughts on Medicals' trout being able to handle early, heavy pressure? Are they up to the task? This is definitely not Amber Lake!

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I have their phone number in my cell phone speed-dial. I have used it a couple of times and it works quite well!:cheers:

I think the lake can handle the extended season as long has they/we can keep the poachers down. The people who live on the lake and the police department keep a fairly close eye on it. I have also seen the WDFW out there quite often also.

I'll check with the fly club and see if they could post a sign, similar to the one at Amber, up at the parking lot
(cliff area) where most of the poachers are.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:46 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
I'll bet some of us get nasty remarks from those that don't read the F & W internet postings.:-"
Go to the WDFW Weekender and find the post they made last week and print it up. Carry it in your vest for those that are accusing you of poaching.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:39 am

Marc Martyn wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:
Go to the WDFW Weekender and find the post they made last week and print it up. Carry it in your vest for those that are accusing you of poaching.
Thanks Marc, got her done. I have a copy saved to my docs in case I loose the print out.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Return to “Fly Fishing presented by Northwest Fly Anglers Club”