A new boat

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:A new boat

Post by A9 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:29 pm

North River I think will only sell their boats at their own dealerships...As in they wont sell them to other boat centers to resell them. There's one up north I think just past Everett on I-5. North River, Alumaweld, Hewescraft, Weldcraft, are all very similar boats...Just a matter of finding which one best fits your needs and which one has the best price tag..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Let's not forget the cream of the crop.........Custom Weld. Right around the corner from the aluma dealer and all I can say is no comparison to any of the others as well as after market service, no other dealer comes close. Inboard or outboard take a look and judge for yourself. There's too many reasons that put them head and shoulders above the other production boats. For just one. All the parts are formed before welding so you don't have any welds under stress. That alone is huge when it comes to welded alu boats. Not done by any other mfg.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:56 pm

Like the boat manufacturer bodo mentioned, there are tons of manufacturers building welded aluminum boats. The two big names are of course Alumaweld and North river, but there are a ton of smaller guys out there that are making great boats, have great customer service, and some will literally make the boat just the way you want it.

To name a few off the top of my head....
-Duckworth
-Wooldridge
-Weldcraft
-Willie
-Hewescraft
-Alumaweld
-North River
-Custom weld
-Thunder jet-
-Motion Marine

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:57 pm

Oh Bodo,
I believe some other boats are now doing what you mentioned Custom Weld does. Pre-formed before welding....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:55 pm

I don't think so. Before I bought mine I tested the entire line you've listed and toured factories. Some boats friends own and some were dealer tests. Unless those manufacturers have change their processes in the last 6 months, no they don't. I'm not saying the other boats are bad, far from it. I can add a few more to the list. but for now Duckworth, Weldcraft and Columbia boats are the same Mfg. As for others to look at NW Jet is another outstanding builder with service second to none. Alumaweld is absolutely the highest volume mfg. followed by Northriver. Your probably going to get the least after sales support, service and attention from them as their business model is based on get'em in and out the door. You could go the other end of the spectrum with Willie or Motion Marine, both boat I'd be proud to own but I'm not sure I'd like the wait while they built the boat for me as they build very few stock boats or pay for a one off boat . If you want to look at super premium custom built to your specs there's Motion Marine, Hells Canyon Marine, Bentz Boats, Precision Weld and Custom Weld if you want.
What were really after is that balance of quality, service and support and price. I struck my balance with a production (well sort of, they're all built one at a time and signed by the two builders) Custom Weld. Each and every prospective boat owner needs to decide how much boat they need to be comfortable and how much they're willing to pay for it. High production boats are easy to value and sort of blue book. If you're looking to finance it's like going to a car dealer, they have the financing all wrapped up and quite often through the Mfg. the higher end boats may take a survey and financing through a specialty service. So look at every weld, nut and bolt, the seats, the motor and all the goodies and think had and long about it. The right boat will present it's self.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:06 am

Yea no doubt Alumaweld and North River won't let you customize your boats really. They are pumping out a ton more boats then any other of the Aluminum boat manufacturer's nowadays.....

I remember browsing through a bunch of these types of boats sights and seeing a few that mention they pre form the metal before welding them. Could be wrong though...

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:48 am

cutthroatkiller wrote:
Whew...thanks...your right...Alumaweld is what they carry. North River...do you know where they can be purchased? I can't wait for the boat show!
In case you haven't been told, there is a North River Dealer off of HWY 167 near Sumner.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:37 am

I guess my bottom line point is there are many boat manufactures offering many features and no matter what you think your price range is, try them all. If a dealer won't take you out for a test run, walk away. If they won't give you names of customers to talk to, walk away. You might be suprised at what you can afford. Once you get past the cookie cutter boats the financing take a huge turn in your advantage. So try every boat you can get your hands on. Inboard, Outboard, Skiff, Runnabout...... Try them all. Then decide what you like, don't settle it's a long term investment. One you'll have countless hours enjoying.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Well I made up my mind. I went with a true Sled. I talked to alot dealers. Northriver, Alumaweld, Hewescraft. And what I found out is it depends on how much you want to pay for a brand. The Northriver Boats are a beautiful boat with plenty of deck space and the standard options put that boat in the topend boats with Duckworth Thunder jet ect............$40,000 turn key. The Hewescraft are a sweet boat. Very roomy also but I was having a challenge with the prices being so differant from one show room to anouther. I went to the Sportsman Show to look at the wide range of boats (jetsleds) to make sure that the future big investment on my new boat was going to be a wise one.
I was just about done at the show thinking that the hewescraft was going to be the boat of choice when I noticed the same looking boat as a hewescraft with a Honda outboard on it selling for $8,000 turn key less then the Hewescraft. Rogue Marine Scrambler is the Boat that I bought. Arfter talking to the sales person there. Who was actualy a marine machanic educated me on the differace between a Yamaha and Honda engine I was sold.

Well I want to thank you all for the advise in which boat to buy and what to look for. If anyone knows of someone who might be interrested in a very good deal on my 18' 1987 Seaswirl Siarra Classic for VERY GOOD DEAL. let me know. Please contact me at my home address

DBTSpivey@comcast.net

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:26 am

When do we get to see the new boat?:cyclops:
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Looks like she gets delivered the first week of March. 2-3 days to install the outboard and I come take ownership of her.
Looks like the sturgeon are starting to bite too.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:53 pm

What kinda outboard you strapping on to the boat????

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Reel Nut.... You said that you got some info on the difference between Yamah & honda motors.
So what was the info & which one did you go with?
I am also thinking of a new boat package.
Thanks Koknuts
Where ever I go........There I am!

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:08 pm

I went with a Honda outboard. I talked to a service tech for Honda and he said when it comes to Honda repairs...........He's like the Maytag repair dude.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:09 pm

I went with a Honda outboard. I talked to a service tech for Honda and he said when it comes to Honda repairs...........He's like the Maytag repair dude.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 pm

Congrats on your new boat. I look forward to seeing the pictures. I also have a Honda outboard on my Hewes Craft. I think Honda makes one of the best outboard motors around. They aren't the quietest motor but when it comes to reliability, you can't go wrong with a Honda. I'll be watching for your new boat pics.

Dave

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:18 am

Congrat on your new boat! Looking forward to seeing pics.:cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Well you guys must think I have either been to buisy to take a picture or I've completely forgot about this post. Well I haven't. The boat gets built down in Rogue River Or and has to be shipped up to Tacoma. They have been having some challenges getting the boat hooked up to a vehicle and driving it north. I was hoping to have it for fishing last weekend possibly this weekend. Looks like it will not be readyy until next week :-(.

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:06 am

Well I picked her up on tuesday. What a beautiful boat. Now the question is what fish to break her in with. I am thinking sturgeon. Anyone got any ideas?
Attachments
Copy_of_Boat_and_truck.JPG
Copy_of_Boat_and_truck.JPG (130.2 KiB) Viewed 2386 times

Reel_Nut
Petty Officer

Post by Reel_Nut » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Well now to get her a name. I was thinking about useing the name of the Seaswirl I had (Reelnut) but now I'm thinking against it. Any one have any Ideas? The only thing that I can come up with so far is "Get Reel".