shad on the columbia?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fisherman_max
Commander

RE:shad on the columbia?

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:20 pm

so does that mean in the columbia or smaller rivers.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:43 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:so does that mean in the columbia or smaller rivers.
Hey Max,

I while back I thought that shad would be nice to add to my life list so in investagating them I ran accross this little article from WDFW...check it out and maybe I will see you on the river some time.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/outreach/fishing/shad/shad.htm

I do plan to catch a few this spring and eat them up yum!

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:15 pm

lskiles wrote:
I do plan to catch a few this spring and eat them up yum!
YUCK!!!!!:chef:

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:58 pm

has anyone ever caught shad and planned on eating them. i heard they dont taste very good and are very bony

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:17 pm

They are members of the herring family and therefore are very oily and bony. Usual preparations are smoking (which I didn't care for) or pressure cooking to soften up the bones.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:38 pm

DEE LEE CIOUS

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:07 pm

so how do you cook shad, Shad Eating Grin

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:31 pm

colton wrote:so how do you cook shad, Shad Eating Grin
several ways:

smoked
pan fried
slow baked in low heat in the oven for 4-6 hours
baked in regular heat until cooked

of these methods, only the slow bake method softens the bones. otherwise, you will need to pick off the bones with a fork or your fingers as you eat the fish. some folks pickle them, but I have not tried this recipe (I don't like pickled foods)

there was a fellow on the internet that once posted a video of how to fillet a shad. it's a lot of work (I don't know how to do it). but once someone gets this technique down pat, the results are boneless fillets

eating shad is not for everyone. many people don't like the flavor and/or bones. I like kippered herring and shad taste pretty much the same. to each their own...

shad is not my favorite, but I don't mind eating it. some folks rave about halibut, which I hate. I would have to say that catfish, yellow perch in batter, or fresh sea perch are my favorites. followed by kings (but not sockeye...)

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:59 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
colton wrote:so how do you cook shad, Shad Eating Grin
several ways:

smoked
pan fried
slow baked in low heat in the oven for 4-6 hours
baked in regular heat until cooked

of these methods, only the slow bake method softens the bones. otherwise, you will need to pick off the bones with a fork or your fingers as you eat the fish. some folks pickle them, but I have not tried this recipe (I don't like pickled foods)

there was a fellow on the internet that once posted a video of how to fillet a shad. it's a lot of work (I don't know how to do it). but once someone gets this technique down pat, the results are boneless fillets

eating shad is not for everyone. many people don't like the flavor and/or bones. I like kippered herring and shad taste pretty much the same. to each their own...

shad is not my favorite, but I don't mind eating it. some folks rave about halibut, which I hate. I would have to say that catfish, yellow perch in batter, or fresh sea perch are my favorites. followed by kings (but not sockeye...)
You can also grind them up and make fish patties which is a common way to cook really boney fish...mmm

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:35 am

Lewis, go down Joe's or Fisherman's Marine and you can get one of those Luhr Jensen Tech Reports on shad fishing which also has some recipes on the back. You may even be able to get it on line from them.

BTW, pickling is about the only way I would eat shad. But in reality it's too much hastle and I'm pretty much a C&R angler anyway.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:28 am

Shad fishing is one thing that I've always wanted to do...Wouldn't keep em for anything more then crab bait, but it would be pretty fun to just catch and release a bunch on light tackle...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

nineeleven
Angler

Post by nineeleven » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:46 pm

Can't wait for shad season either. Even newbie will catch a few shads. I usually fish at the Dam in mid may. Good eating if you know how to make them. My mom-in-law does this best. Can't wait.
Spend some time in a Communist country and you will appreciate the US of A a whole lot more.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 am

Welcome to washingtonlakes, nineeleven! Always good to have new members. I too plan to fish for shad this May. It will be my first time. I hope to add them to my life list along with many other species this spring/summer. Maybe I will see you out on the water.

nineeleven
Angler

Post by nineeleven » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:20 am

Thanks lskiles. PM me if you want meet up to fish for Shad. You will like it, those shad are fun and way too easy to catch.
Spend some time in a Communist country and you will appreciate the US of A a whole lot more.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:34 am

nineeleven wrote:Thanks lskiles. PM me if you want meet up to fish for Shad. You will like it, those shad are fun and way too easy to catch.
PM sent...the anticipation of spring fishing is really beating me up. I am going out this week-end for sure. I was suppose to go with a couple of young men from the forum, but if not I will be out on my own.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:39 pm

I've been watching the Bonneville dam cam.I havent seen much in Springers or Shad.If my memory still works I think Shad is more mid April/May.I dont eat the shad itself but its not bad I fry the eggs.The fish I save for crabbing.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:03 pm

racfish wrote:I've been watching the Bonneville dam cam.I havent seen much in Springers or Shad.If my memory still works I think Shad is more mid April/May.I dont eat the shad itself but its not bad I fry the eggs.The fish I save for crabbing.
you won't see shad regularly until about 1st week of May. Few and far between till you get to mid-late May. By first week of June, the camera shot will be covered with shad.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:26 pm

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers wrote:Shad can be seen in the fish ladders of the lower Columbia River dams from May to August. The run peaks in mid-June.
They should know...here is a picture to make you want May to be here already!

mikecrawford16
Petty Officer

Post by mikecrawford16 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 pm

shad are a kick in the pants to fish, there strong little buggers though. Fishermanmax has a big ol' shinner on his eye from when my buddy elbowed him there, they were wrestling in my buddies livin' room....funny crap

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:44 pm

and you had to share that little story mike?

it was a cheap shot anyway:-#
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.