Looking for a guide

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Lance8490
Angler

Looking for a guide

Post by Lance8490 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Looking for a guide around July 21st. My dad and I are coming to Seattle and looking to get in the Olympic and possibly cascade mountains. We would like to do hire a guide and do some fishing. My dad would really like to try steelhead but not sure if that is a good time of year. I am definitely interested in that but would also be interested in numbers. We would like to fish rivers. Any advice on which guides to hire, what to expect in terms of type of fish and also #'s would really be appreciated. Thanks

riverhunter
Commander

Re: Looking for a guide

Post by riverhunter » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:57 am

Not much in numbers in most rivers around that time. Your best bet would be cowlitz for steelhead. Silvers in the rivers usually dont pick up until around Sept. Other then that there is kings in most rivers but they are mostly off limits around here. The Olympic peninsula has better options or the columbia river will doing good also

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:16 am

If you want fish that time of year Id suggest saltwater fishing in areas that are open. The salmon wont really be coming up river like riverhunter stated.

Lance8490
Angler

Post by Lance8490 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 am

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Any particular guides that you know of. Would we have better success with trout? Rainbow?

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 am

There are a few that are associated with this site, click on Home, Service, then Guides. Will give you a list for various locations so they can fill you in on details of what they will be fishing for around that date. That would be a good place to start.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Rainbows are all over the NW in most lakes. Google the Washington stocking reports for them. Thatll help. I very rarely get skunked out on rainbows if I target them.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:58 pm

Rainbows aren't usually associated with guided fishing. There is of course Rainbow fishing via guides in places like Rufus Woods.
As was said earlier.. most rainbow fishing is kind of simple fishing, and stocker trout. Follow the drop off dates/places of the stocking truck, and you won't need a guide.

You will definwtly find guides to fly fish rivers like the Yakima, but you seemed dialed into the Olympics and Cascades.

Lance8490
Angler

Post by Lance8490 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Found a guide. Going to start any extra day by lake quinault. I think fishing on lake is prohibited but was going to try to find some mountain lakes and streams to fish. I am bringing some spinning gear and was thinking about using some small mepps spinners. Does that sound like a good plan? Any help on lures or maybe a lake I can try would be helpful. Was planning on trying an easy hike to one. Thanks

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Lance,
Unless there was a recent change in the regs. Lake Quinault is not off limits to fishing. I am pretty certain you will need a tribal permit though, as the lake will not be listed within the WA . state regs. It will be controlled by eitjer the tribe or the Olympic National Park.

Read the following reports... contact Bob R. via these reports, regarding any questions.He should be a guide. He knows this lake like the back of his hand. He is very helpful.
http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... tList/7851

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Baker Lake sockeye should be on fire by the end of July. Try Cal Stockton; Cause for Divorce Guide Service.