Fall smallmouth American Lake

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
NWrookie
Petty Officer

Fall smallmouth American Lake

Post by NWrookie » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:48 am

I volunteered for the Take a Warrior Fishing event on Sept 24 at American lake and would like some pointers. I have a 16' Pontoon Bass Buggy so I can take wheelchair or other restricted people. I have only fished once there and caught a bunch of rock bass and a couple of 1/2 -1 lb smallmouth. What should I be looking for in regards to structure and depth this time of year? I have drop shots, tubes, small crankbaits, and spinnerbaits that I will try. Thanks for any advice.

GeoFishing
Petty Officer

Re: Fall smallmouth American Lake

Post by GeoFishing » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:23 pm

I think your definitely on the right track and Wish you tons of success. Good thing small mouth naturally are very aggressive.

Odin210
Angler

Post by Odin210 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Around the WDFW Boat Launch by Camp Murray has always been a good producer for me for smallmouth, usually earlier in the year, to be honest. Especially around those islands in 10-30' of water. Again, this was earlier in the year a number of years back. I really like the Rapala/Rebel crawfish lures with the rattles in them (those are my go to lures for everything from trout to red drum, but have been spectacular producers for me with bass of all kinds from WA to TX). I mention them only because that's the lure I put on when I just want to catch fish, because if there are fish there, those lures will catch them (the crawfish shape doesn't seem to be nearly as important as the rattle and the action - there are minnow shaped ones that work just as well). As usual with bass, work the private docks and reed beds along the shoreline, and when you get into them, keep hammering them until they stop biting. Assuming you have a fish finder/sonar, so if you see underwater structures of any kind, work the edges. If you find classic bass structure, remember that you can chum at American Lake. If you really want to hook those vets up, head down to a farm supply store and buy a bag of range cubes (just ask for range cubes). They're very cheap. Toss out a couple handfuls where you're fishing, or planning to fish (drop em, head somewhere else for a half hour or an hour, then come back). This was a popular trick in Texas for catfishing, but it worked just as well for bass because it brings in all the fish - the catfish come for the range cubes, small fish come in for them too, big predator fish like bass/red drum would come in for the little fish. Dog food works pretty good too. Just be careful not to go overboard with the range cubes if you go this route, a couple handfuls a spot is more than enough - dump the whole bag and you're not only wasting them, but can actually hurt some of the fish (never believed it until I went overboard once and started pulling in monster catfish that had ruptured stomachs).

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:34 am

I'm not sure I'd want to be caught doing that in WA State. It's the classic definition for baiting or chumming. Universally illegal for the most part.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:14 am

From the 2016/2017 regs:
You May Not:
Chum (broadcast feed) to attract Game Fish
unless authorized by Special Rules.
From the Special Rules:
AMERICAN LAKE (Pierce Co.) All Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit. Chumming permitted.
If you search the regs, there are actually lots of places where you can legally chum. I like downloading the PDF version - then its an easy search for what ever you want to find.

Odin210
Angler

Post by Odin210 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:58 pm

I assume they're allowing chumming in the hopes that anglers will do it because it'll thin out the perch/catfish population (specifically). I have yet to do it here, but next time I'm at the feed store I do plan to buy a bag of range cubes (they keep forever).

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:27 pm

I stand corrected on the legality. Personally I'd still be embarrassed to chum or bait. Regardless of the legal status its not what I would call sportsman like.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!