Silver Lake (Whatcom County) success

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
ydeardorff
Petty Officer

Silver Lake (Whatcom County) success

Post by ydeardorff » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:19 am

Hey everyone,
Im presuming for most this lake is out of reach for an evening fish, but with its top notch camp ground, cabins, and rental boats, a weekend would be a great trip.
http://www.whatcomcounty.us/1937/Silver-Lake-Park" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/124/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now the secret to fishing this lake for trout seems to be trolling, and a small pontoon boat sized craft.
I have an 8' water skeeter single person inflatable pontoon boat. I only have a swivel, with a snelled wedding ring on, and a worm. Cast an pay out about 100 to 150 feet of line, and troll at wind drifting speeds. Now get ready for the pole doubling strikes from opening to close of the season. I kept to the northern end of the lake and just trolled all over it. 4 out of 5 times I caught my limit in anywhere from 45 minutes, to 5 hours.

Wait until dusk and the kokanee will start to hit, and hit hard just north of the point.

If you get really lucky, you'll hook into a trophy sized LM Bass that patrols the western side of the lake. If you see what looks like a drifting log, and it turns, or dissapears, that's it!

Something about my smaller water craft, and my fishing method, didn't scare the fish.

From the trout, kokanee, LM Bass, and pumkinseed sun fish Silver lake is easily a great place to spend a family weekend camping and fishing.

Good luck, and have a great one!