Lake Wa Coho!!

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
BentRod
Admiral

Re: Lake Wa Coho!!

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:45 pm

I replace the treble with a quality 1/0 siwash crimped to a barrel swivel. I use the rubber bumper or a soft bead to protect the knot. Have never had a problem hooking up. Make sure your hooks are sharp!

If you don't have Siwash, stick with the treble (only legal in Lake WA).

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:16 pm

So is there a specific reason for you would replace with a siwash but not a octopus? Or is it just personal preference?

Maybe I'll just go with Gami trebles.. Now should I get regular or red.. I'm thinking red

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:27 pm

Color won't matter. Siwash for the position of the eye in relation to the hook. Octopus will only work if you tie them on using a snell knot or similar shank knot otherwise they don't have the right leverage for a proper hookset. My brother-in-law tried that one Pink season. Didn't work. I salvaged the situation by tying egg loop knots, but it was a pain in the butt.

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Oh, well in that case I won't go out of my way for Gami trebles, because the knot I'm best at is snell knot!!

I've been fishing the Cowlitz mainly, with barbless octopus hooks and that was actually the first knot I learned! It's actually the only knot I'm good at the involved the hook lol.

So I'll just stick with the octopus then

Cantgetenoughfishn
Angler

Post by Cantgetenoughfishn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 am

I just checked the ballard count and they list 11,000 coho have passed. And no saltwater season. What gives. Looking good to find some coho in the lake friday. See you out there.

Cantgetenoughfishn
Angler

Post by Cantgetenoughfishn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 am

regarding coho counts, I caught two very fine coho at meadow point towards the end of chinook fishing. Beautiful sea bright . Release back to water. I thought it may be harbinger of large run. Well anyway, look for the 16 foot arima with electric downriggers, blue top, and fat old man fishing. correct that, fat old man catching!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Cantgetenoughfishn wrote:regarding coho counts, I caught two very fine coho at meadow point towards the end of chinook fishing. Beautiful sea bright . Release back to water. I thought it may be harbinger of large run. Well anyway, look for the 16 foot arima with electric downriggers, blue top, and fat old man fishing. correct that, fat old man catching!
That's the spirit!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:31 pm

Cantgetenoughfishn wrote:I just checked the ballard count and they list 11,000 coho have passed. And no saltwater season. What gives. Looking good to find some coho in the lake friday. See you out there.

They just opened the Tullap bubble area for coho retention. You can fish with two poles also if you have the endorsement. Lets hope with that many fish there in the biting mood. :cheers:
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:02 am

The bubble is open for 2 weekends that's it.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

lampwick
Angler

Post by lampwick » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Has anyone tried shore fishing for these coho? I'm boatless and thinking perhaps off the shore at St. Edwards
might hold some promise. Has anyone tried it? Anyone?

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:17 pm

This is true but some fishing is better then NO fishing right? A chance to get out and try is how I see it.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Flying Scotsman
Angler

Post by Flying Scotsman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:38 am

I took a spin down to the Kenmore boat launch at lunchtime. Spoke with a few boats leaving. Not much happening. One boat got 3 but that was not the norm. Ranger is there so have all permits in place. He said 19 boats have come in with 12 coho including the boat with 3 so your odds are so-so!

Good luck!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:39 pm

I was just going to post pretty much the same news. I stopped by the Kenmore launch around 1:00. There was a fish checker there and he said 24 boats, 12 fish. I was also told one boat got 3 and also heard he had the DRs at 130 feet. Deep makes sense since the Lake is prob pretty warm for salmon and they may be deep for cooler water.

I also talked to two guys that had just come in, no fish for them, saw some rollers and jumpers but no bites. Think I'll leave my Seahawk in the garage until Blackmouth opens 11/1, unless the salt opens and the chance of that is slim and none.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:35 pm

we got one today. Keep hope alive, it could get better. We fished the Kirkland area and found no big schools of fish and few jumpers.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:06 pm

Sorry we missed you we were out there as also and came home with limits. Lucky guys today@@@!!!!!
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:44 am

Hey hunter, in your report it says you launched in Renton and drove down to the area.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question but how do you get north of 520 if you didn't launch there? Is there somewhere you can drive under 520? I didn't know that. (I've never driven a boat.. But my dad has)
Because it's only open north of 520 for coho right?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:42 am

You cruise right under the bridge. They have to leave one end or the other open.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

SilverSlayer
Petty Officer

Post by SilverSlayer » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:55 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the schedule for the tribes netting for the lake Washington bound coho?

Thanks

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:29 pm

I don't believe that information will be made available as they typically are allowed to net in the ship canal so as to take protected native fish bound for the Cedar River as well as those headed for the hatchery. The management of the Lake Washington watershed is a total farce, skewed to allow the tribes to collect more than their fair share of the fish, regardless of protected status.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:08 pm

On line fishchecker reports now include Magnuson and Kenmore. Certainly not hot but some being taken.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;