Baker lake sockeye rod question

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
riverhunter
Commander

Baker lake sockeye rod question

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:25 pm

I will be trying for sockeye at baker lake sometime this month. I have saltwater downrigger rods but wanted something lighter so j can enjoy th fight more. My question is do you guys think my two Kokanee downrigger rods that are rated for 6-10lbs, lure size 1/8-3/4 oz will hold up my flasher plus a nice sized sockeye or should I just go with the saltwater rods and get them to the boat and not worry about enjoyment of the fight of the fish!

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Baker lake sockeye rod question

Post by JoshH » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:51 pm

Think I read you will be fishing out of a raft. If you are solo and plan on running 2 downrigger lines ... I would go heavy on the rod. The fish is probably going to pull you around anyway, but a light Kokanee rod will give you even less control to keep it from wrapping around the other line/downrigger cable. Even with the heavier rods, that might be an issue anyway unless someone else is with you and can clear the 2nd line/cable. I know some that do use Kokanee rods.

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:59 pm

I think something like a Lamiglas jared johnson kokanee rod would be extremely undersized and underpowered for the Sockeye in Baker Lake.

I will be running rods between 9FT-10.6FT med- rods.. I typically use these rods for silvers and pinks in the sound….

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:00 pm

I fished out of it last year and caught fish with the heavier rod but them being so big they got in the way of everything else. Oh well might just have to use them again anyways!

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:34 pm

I caught two last year on the white lamiglas kokanee rod fun fight for sure. All you can do is try it what do you have to loose a fish...you could always bring both and see what happens.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

ebpip
Petty Officer

Post by ebpip » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:35 pm

I agree to error on the larger rod. With all the boats out there it's nice to be able to horse it in if you need to get away from other boats, DR cables, etc. Last year I used both my salmon DR rods and steelhead rods (6-12lb) and both worked fine, the steelhead rod was definitely bent over a lot more. Those things can fight!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:42 am

I vote bigger rod. I know others have used the white lami kok rods but these are big, hard fighting sockeye 6-10 pounds in a crowded fishery. Best to have em under control!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Sixgill
Petty Officer

Post by Sixgill » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:29 am

Use your Kokanee rods, lots of people do, including myself.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 pm

If I do end up using my Kokanee rods I might have to switch my line to at least 20lb currently have only have 10lb

Sixgill
Petty Officer

Post by Sixgill » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:23 pm

riverhunter wrote:If I do end up using my Kokanee rods I might have to switch my line to at least 20lb currently have only have 10lb
I run 30# PowerPro Super Slick

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:03 am

I run 12 and 14 mono YMMV but I would say as long as its not old you should be fine. I change mine out every two years.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:33 pm

Hunter757 wrote:I run 12 and 14 mono YMMV but I would say as long as its not old you should be fine. I change mine out every two years.
Just be sure to store them (reels) in a dark place when not in use.

The biggest enemy of mono is UV light (daylight) which compromises the integrity.

I can remember buying monofilament before they figured out how to properly package it (shielding it from light in cardboard) and having the stuff chalky and brittle before even putting it on the reel.

onmygame

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks for the advice onmygame but my reels and rods do not stay outside in the sun for that exact reason. While I am big fan of braid I like the strectch mono has when loaded on a downrigger. Plus with these soft mouth fish and trying to use light rods i might need that extra stretch in the line if i want to get a few fish in the boat. I don't mind losing a few fish but coming home empty handed after hooking up can be a big downer!