Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
riverhunter
Commander

Steelhead

Post by riverhunter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:47 pm

So with the closures still in effect in puget sound area I am looking to get my fix for steelhead down south. 3 rivers come to mind but was hoping someone would have some input they would like to share in deciding which river to hit. I'm looking for summer run steelies on either the cowlitz, skookumchuck or the toutle

BlakeP
Commander

Re: Steelhead

Post by BlakeP » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:44 pm

From what I know there's no summer run on the Skook, not sure if it's even open during the summer? I don't think they have a summer run on the Toutle anymore either? As for the Cowlitz, I don't fish it but it gets plenty of summers.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks for tip. I've hit them in winter and never in summer. Haven't looked at regs for what rivers open for what just yet but that was next on my bucket list on decided where I want to go.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Cowlitz would be your main option that way. Most of the rivers open for Summer runs right now are a bit of a drive for anyone near the general area of Seattle and all. It's been a very slow year it seems for most rivers that are open for them in Washington as well. So I'm not sure I would expect much.

Edit: Looks like the Toutle is open for Summer Runs? No clue on if it gets many back at all though, maybe do some research on it.