Baker Lake, Shannon Creek Launch

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Malamakai
Angler

Baker Lake, Shannon Creek Launch

Post by Malamakai » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Anyone camp and launch at Shannon Creek campground on Baker Lake? Does everyone pull their boats out after fishing or is there room to beach them? Checked USGS website and it also looks like lake level can go up or down a foot or so in 24 hrs. Thanks

Hunter757
Commander

Re: Baker Lake, Shannon Creek Launch

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:28 am

Malamakai, I have not personally camped at that campground but have seen and talked with a few guys who have. Some have left the boats overnight and been high and dry in the morning. That is the chance you take doing so, but if your boat is small enough no problem right, just push....anyways short answer is yes and yes with caution. Hope to see you out on the water!!
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:35 am

All I'm going to say is, you had better like mosquitos.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 am

Last couple of years that I have been there most people just pulled their boats up on the beach, no issues with anything. There are a couple nice big logs to tie off on so you do not have to pull the boat all the way up. That was in July so I do not know how much the water level may change during other times of the year.
Like Bodfish says, bring mosquito repellant, although I do not think they are as bad as over near Lake Wenatchee.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Bodofish wrote:All I'm going to say is, you had better like mosquitos.
LOL.....but the fishing is great!!!! worth every bite.... :cheers:
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Malamakai
Angler

Post by Malamakai » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks for the tips...especially about the skeeters. Will have to stock up on bug juice.

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Ditto on the skeeters, some years they can eat you alive. Leaving the boat in the water is not a problem, just be aware that the level can change a foot overnight. I got caught on the beach acouple years ago and had to get pulled off. Now I just leave alittle slack to get off easier.

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 pm

What about the dock at swift creek? Is there over night moorage at that dock?

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:19 pm

Yes, but it is for the campers at that park is my understanding.
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Thor
Petty Officer

Post by Thor » Fri May 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I'll add a little more info. I've camped and launched at Baker Lake, leaving boat tied up on beach with no problems except one time when the water level went down and we had to push boat out. Just don't put it too far up on beach... Mosquitoes are definitely bad. Depending on the lake level, the "launch" is a bit primitive.

I've also camped and moored at Swift Creek. Great launch. Mooring is first-come first-serve and there is no sticker for the window to identify you as a camper. If the dock gets full you can go into a little backwater and tie your boat up and climb up a small hill to get to the campground.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Great thread. I am going to camp Baker this year as well. What is everyone favorite camp ground? I was shocked to see that there were 6 on the lake and one on boulder Creek. I want to use the boat and keep it near the camp site. Is there any boat only places on the lake that anyone knows of?

4n6fisher
Warrant Officer

Post by 4n6fisher » Mon May 09, 2016 3:51 pm

There are a couple across the lake from Shannonn Creek campground, and I think another one or two others on that side of the lake further down. I have also seen people find a spot along the shore and pull the boat up to camp (those were a little more random areas) along the road driving in.
I have only stayed at Shannon Creek, it is a little more low key that the other campgrounds I looked at, just a pit toilet, no shower and you have to stay there to use the ramp. There are a couple sites there down by the water where you can pull your boat into, but you have to walk a few feet from your car (just have to make sure the wind from the dumpster full of fish guts does not blow that way).
Hopefully this fishery is not affected by the shutdown that the rest of salmon season is subject to.

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Mon May 16, 2016 12:11 pm

Would be fun to have a group camp out and fishing at Baker this month. They allow boat camping at Baker. Which sites charge and which ones don't? :nemo:

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:55 am

Baker Lake will not be affected by the shutdown this year. Larry from WDFW has already came out on many occasions and said this. I have only stayed at Swift creek but really enjoyed it. Yes only vault toilets up there and no showers. There are a ton of spots along the shoreline people where people stop and pitch a tent. Old campgrounds? Not really sure but a really fun lake to fish and camp but tons of mosquito's for sure and horse fly's. We have our reservations and can't wait.......
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Let's_Go_Fishing!
Petty Officer

Post by Let's_Go_Fishing! » Tue May 17, 2016 8:34 am

Thank you Hunter for the informative response. Would be fun to put together a fishing camp out early June for Baker :nemo:

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Fri May 27, 2016 7:02 pm

Hey guys I have a question about baker lake as well. I have a 9ft Daiwa D Schock 9xi spinning combo. I originally bought it for steel heading but if I was on baker lake when the sockeye season started would this rod work for the sockeye? I have it spun with 30lb braid and I have swivels to set up a leader I was thinking of about 20lb fluorocarbon for the leader.
Just wondering if the rod/reel combo would suffice for trolling for sockeye.
Also this is my first post on NWFR so sorry if I did this in an awkward section 😋

Here is the link to my rod/reel combo (keep in mind there are lots of options in this page but I got the 9ft one)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/daiwa-d- ... es+d+shock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:07 pm

Welcome to NWFR Scheindogg!!!
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun May 29, 2016 10:14 am

Scheindogg wrote:Hey guys I have a question about baker lake as well. I have a 9ft Daiwa D Schock 9xi spinning combo. I originally bought it for steel heading but if I was on baker lake when the sockeye season started would this rod work for the sockeye? I have it spun with 30lb braid and I have swivels to set up a leader I was thinking of about 20lb fluorocarbon for the leader.
Just wondering if the rod/reel combo would suffice for trolling for sockeye.
Also this is my first post on NWFR so sorry if I did this in an awkward section 😋

Here is the link to my rod/reel combo (keep in mind there are lots of options in this page but I got the 9ft one)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/daiwa-d- ... es+d+shock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sure it would work but I have to warn you trolling with a spinning rig usually ends up with some seriously twisted line. If you can avoid it I would.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!