Lake Chelan Get-Together 2016!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
rseas
Commander

Re: Lake Chelan Get-Together 2016!

Post by rseas » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Based on a recent Chelan recon trip I have a few NWFR Chelan Get-together updates and pointers. First as with any worthwhile adventure plan to be flexible, this time of the year the weather is not predictable. Plan on and be prepared for everything from the sunny 80s to windy and rainy 50 degree weather. Same thing with the fishing, be prepared to change it up. Although the Kokanee fishing techniques are predictable there are times when they are lock jawed. You will either have to go hunting for a body of kokanee that wants to come out and play or chase an alternate species. Fortunately just in front of Lake Chelan State Park the properly equipped angler can catch lake trout, cutthroat, rainbows, smallmouth and pike minnows (yes, they put up a respectable fight and make great lake trout bait). The flexible theme will also apply to the camping.

As it turns out the park service is doing some construction at Lake Chelan State Park and the project is behind schedule. When complete the park will be sporting new bathrooms/showers and I believe some additional out buildings. What that means to the NWFR gang is that to date only ½ the campsites will be available. The rangers at Chelan State Park indicated that they would try to accommodate all the NWFR Chelan get-together participants at Lake Chelan State Park but just in case there are a couple additional campgrounds close by. Twenty Five Mile Creek State Park is approximately 10 miles or 15 minutes north of Lake Chelan State Park and Lakeshore RV Park in Chelan. Lakeshore RV Park is approximately 10 miles or 20 minutes east of Lake Chelan State Park. Additionally, effective May 1st Lake Chelan State Park kicks into their seasonal reservation mode. If you will be staying beyond checkout on Sunday you will want to make a reservation.

In sticking with the flexibility/adventure theme, Lake Chelan State Park has 17 official rig/boat trailer parking spaces. In the event that the 17 official boat trailer parking spaces are full; the rangers have indicated that people can unhook their trailers and there are approximately 30 spaces adjacent to 17 the boat trailer parking spaces that people can park their trailers in. Again be flexible and the experience will be an adventure not to be forgotten. To that note; if you are camping at Lake Chelan State Park and there is room at your campsite please consider leaving your trailers at your campsite. Be courteous and save the limited trailer parking for the day visitors. In continuing with the adventure theme the lake level may create a few additional challenges.

I am not familiar with the impact that falling lake levels will have on the launching and moorage at Lake Chelan State Park during the last week of April. But as of 4/9 the lake was at 1090’ and expected to fall another 5’ before it hits minimum elevation in the next week or so. The ranger does not believe that the lake level will impact launching but the available moorage may be limited. If worse comes to worse and it is not too windy, with caution it is a good beach for doing a beach landing. Also and based on a number of recent challenges with my Yammy I’m thinking that there may be people looking for ethanol-free fuel for their rigs.

Following are the two stations in Chelan that have ethanol-free fuel available:

* Lakeside C Store and Subway, located at 2208 W Woodin Avenue in Chelan. They are on Alt 97 just before you get into Chelan, or just west of Chelan on Alt 97. Lakeside C Store and Subway is 7.3 miles from Lake Chelan State Park and pumps unbranded 92 grade fuel. They can be reached at 509-682-2741.

* Green Petroleum, located at 20 Hwy 150 in Chelan. They are a bit outside of Chelan on Hwy 150.Green Petroleum is 10.3 miles from Lake Chelan State Park and pumps both Pacific Pride 87 and 92 grade fuel. They can be reached at 509-682-2221.

Now bite my tongue, but if fishing does not float your boat but you are attached to a NWFR member that eats, sleeps and breathes fishing or you love fishing but just enjoy a little variety in your adventure, no worries there are number of other activities available relatively close to Lake Chelan State Park.

* Hooked on Toys in Wenatchee is a store that dreams are made of. Whether it be fishing gear, hunting stuff, toys, prospecting, camping or water sports that interest you Hooked on Toys is a do not miss stop while on the east side.

* Lake Chelan Winery is a favorite stop of ours but there are many other wineries in the area that offer tasting and entertaining wine talk.

* Numerous Restaurants

* Boutique Shopping

* Slidewaters in Chelan – a highly rated water park.

* Tunnel Zip Lines in Chelan, if you have never done the zip line thing this would be an excellent way to challenge your comfort boundaries and add to your Chelan adventure scrapbook.

As a final pointer, depending on your boat n trailer combo and your general tolerance for road conditions if you’re traveling from the west side I might suggest taking State Route 97A out of Wenatchee all the way to the junction of SR 971 and SR 97A at the shore of Lake Chelan and not take the SR 971 cut-off just north of Winesap. Although the SR 971 cut-off is a few miles shorter the road stinks. It is very rough and the crown rolls from side to side unexpectedly. If you do take the SR 971 cut-off, pay attention to your speed and drive with caution. You’ll want to arrive alive to collect your NWFR event booty. Be safe and from the NWFR gang, we look forward to sharing this special event with you.
Last edited by rseas on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike10gs
Petty Officer

Post by Mike10gs » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:26 pm

Hey I would like to change what I will be bringing. Since I will be camping there( if spots available) homemade mac and cheese would be a bit hard to have it warm so I will be bringing chicken and shrimp alfredo. I can make that before the event. Thanks

Scott in lakewood
Angler

Post by Scott in lakewood » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:08 am

+2

Kekedatackleco
Angler

Post by Kekedatackleco » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:08 pm

I'll be there solo... I'll bring chips and black bean and corn salsa.
Kekeda Tackle Co. is a veteran owned local company offering high quality trolling flies. The perfect trolling fly for waters around the Pacific Northwest. Offered in a variety of colors at reasonable prices. Contact Dave at 509-202-5135 or Kekedatackle@gmail.com or visit:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kekedatackle

Official Digital Anglers Sponsor

FishingTenor
Angler

Post by FishingTenor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Larry Karr and Janet will be attending BBQ and bring broccoli slaw salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
I plan to bring my 12' aluminum boat for fishing close by.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 am

thanks Everyone, list has been updated.

Reminder - helpful things to bring if you can:

Your own folding chairs
overhead folding sun/rain shades
large folding table

*Be SURE to mark then clearly with your name.

Thanks!

Oh yes, if you have Open Seats - let's let people know on this thread and try to get as many NWFR non-boat owners on the water as we can. We're hoping Life Proof boats can do a little fishing on their boats while they are giving demo rides. :)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Rivercamp72
Petty Officer

Post by Rivercamp72 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:12 am

I'll be there! 1+My wife, our son and his 4 year old son. We'll bring some deserts and some sides, but it's going to be a last minute thing. Too much going on right now!

"S" turns coming up...

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm

thanks, list updated.

afk
Petty Officer

Post by afk » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:21 am

I have 2 seats available in my boat for all day Saturday or Sunday morning for a few hours.
Andy 509-885-2959

Known Kokanee Killer
Angler

Post by Known Kokanee Killer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Cant wait Driving from Hayden lake ID. again. I will bring 4 angles and 2 boats and will bring some elk stew. staying in town so i can charge batteries.

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:54 am

Ok kokaholics just coming off 3 days of fishin chelan in the derby which we came in 3Rd place for big fish and 10th place overall bag weight fishin was good. For those of you that are familiar with chelan you probably already got a game plan. For those new to chelan let me give you a few pointers there are fish from the basin all the way past 25 mile. They have not really schooled up yet just a lot of little pockets. The small ones are shallow surface to 60 feet bigger fish are deeper 80 to 150 yes that deep. Saturday morning a caught a 11.1 Chinook in front of the state park 145 feet down in 350 feet of water. The koke are down there too with my magic depth at 125. The winning bags came from 25 mile Mitchell creek areas. Check weather before you venture up it can get nasty. State park, monument, Hollywood beach areas are putting out good numbers of fish. Orange and pink offering worked the best for us. Be safe and rip lips.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:50 am

Thanks for the update.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:16 pm

good thing it's not this Saturday as it will be windy over here.

locar44
Angler

Post by locar44 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:52 am

Sorry have to cancel, van has a rod knocking so will be working on transportation instead of fishing, and I was so looking forward to the gettogether and some Chelan fishing. Youall leave some fish in the lake for me will hit it hopefully before starting pikeminnow fishing on the Snake. Youall have fun now. GSEC Martin Whitney USN Retired

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:48 pm

locar44 wrote:Sorry have to cancel, van has a rod knocking so will be working on transportation instead of fishing, and I was so looking forward to the gettogether and some Chelan fishing. Youall leave some fish in the lake for me will hit it hopefully before starting pikeminnow fishing on the Snake. Youall have fun now. GSEC Martin Whitney USN Retired
bummer. Well, maybe next year!

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:00 pm

Just checked the 10 day outlook and early indications look promising with light winds and sunny skies! Fingers crossed the stars stay aligned! See you on the water! :cheers:

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:41 am

=D>

kodiackk
Angler

Post by kodiackk » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Don Plus 1 TBD on potluck

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:05 pm

updated, thanks.

Mcfisherson13
Angler

Post by Mcfisherson13 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Mcfisherson13, + 1 maybe 2 kids, 4yo & 2yo.

Cookies

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”