14' Lund Dreamboat and trailer w/mods

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: 14' Lund Dreamboat and trailer w/mods *UPDATE

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:02 am

I gotta say taking out the seats, probably not the best idea as they're structural members. As for the bow and the casting deck, you could just cut some stringers out of pressure treated 2X6 or 8 and screw right through the hull. I'd make sure you have one (at least 1) rib going across the boat. I've seen it done before and it shouldn't pose a problem, the other thing is keep it low. It's not a very big boat and when you stand on anything close to gunnel height it's going to be very, very tippy. especially at the bow.
For the seats that are being removed, I'd not and just cut what ever sort of section out of them you want and finish them up. I know you're just going on little lakes but I'd hate to see it fold in half with no foam and your kids onboard.......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:47 am

Would you be liable if it sank because you removed the foam? Say oil and gas all ended up at the bottom of the lake you have insurance but after inspection they found out you modified it, could they refuse to pay out to cover damage and removal.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:58 am

sickbayer wrote:Would you be liable if it sank because you removed the foam? Say oil and gas all ended up at the bottom of the lake you have insurance but after inspection they found out you modified it, could they refuse to pay out to cover damage and removal.
Nope Foam is only a requirement at the time of manufacture for vessels under 20'. After it's been sold to the original owner, the requirement no longer exists. From a safety stand point, it would be nice to see some sort of flotation to replace the foam. Some folks have used bubble wrap or the big plastic pillows as they don't soak up water. It's a lot easier to get saved from a boat that's floating capsized as opposed to one on the bottom of the lake. I have rescued more than one person hanging onto a capsized boat. I never would have seen them without it.

Sorry, edit, clicked submit and nothing happened.
Oils spills are not connected to safety equipment in any way. Your boat spills oil and any one of the regulatory agencies gets involved, you can bet the finger is going to be pointed at the operator/owner of any vessel. Most OB fuel tanks are made so during an roll over, very minimal fuel will leak from the air vent. A carb may dump some fuel and or the crank case could dump some oil through a breather. Any sheen on the water could take some explaining. Foam, no foam, all the same.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Thanks for the tips Bodo. [thumbsup]

The decision to not have foam in the boat was heavily researched and considered. (This happens to be a very debatable subject with many boat modifiers)
I have been boating for 30+ years and have found that if you take on water there is always a way to get it out of the boat and if for any reason there is a situation were I have taken on so much water that the foam in the boat is going to help, I have more concerns than the recovery of my boat.
The purpose of the foam is to create a neutral or positive buoyancy of the boat if it is completely filled with water. My motor would make it sit nose up anyways. Plus, I am only taking it on lakes around here and don't plan on nautical seas in this boat anyways. And Larry, your still invited to fish with me anytime. I promise not to tip the boat over.

Ran over to a friends who is building a 30' aluminum boat from scratch and he has a ton of left over metal. He tig welded a plate in the bow for the casting deck support and had some square stock that we lined up for the side supports. Turned out very well and I am pleased with what it will do.

The start of the casting deck

Cut up the bench seats and will leave the two sides for the gunnel brackets and the middle will be a hinged hatch for storage.

The white is paint/primer and weather protectant that I will be applying to all the wood that makes its way into the boat.

Next will be shaping the casting deck from cardboard to get the layout and carpeting the bench seats.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: 14' Lund Dreamboat and trailer w/mods

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Casting deck looks like a great start!!!! Are you going to trim the excess out of the back seat? Ie cut a big notch in it? Personally I'm not a big fan of foam either, it always seems to water logged and your boat ends up weighing about 900 pounds extra. On the back seat, I'd be thinking about how to leave the tabs on floor intact and even a section all the way across even if it's only a couple inches high, just so something goes from one side of the boat to the other. I'm guessing most damage wouldn't come from running the boat but trailering and on and off.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Seats are staying. Im just adding a storage spot in the middle.

Not the greatest at this carpet and glue thang. But it can only get better. The corners are the trickiest.
My step dad does flooring for a living so he has been a big help.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:09 pm

New brackets vs old brackets. It was time.

fishnislife

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:10 pm

I like it even more!!!!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Rod Holders Installed

Middle Bench Storage

Front Part of Casting Deck is Carpeted

Middle Section will be Removable for Storage

I just realized from the picture of the middle bench seat hatch support board that I didn't treat the end of that 2x2. Back to the garage. #-o

fishnislife

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:46 am

fishnislife wrote:So here it is! [thumbsup] Long time coming and the patience has paid off. This is exactly what I have been looking for. No kidding, EXACTLY!

The deal......

~posted on craigslist for $2400. called within 6 hours of it being posted (i hunt craigslist about 3x's a day). bought it less than 18 hours later.

Paid $2000 cash on the spot. I had to travel a little over an hour but this is what I got for my patience and effort:

-14 ft. LUND 1998 WC14
-Ez Loader Trailer 1998
-25Hp Mercury 2 stroke
-6 gallon gas tank(full), hose and pump
-30lb Thrust Minn Kota trolling motor
-Garmin Fishfinder 90/140
-2 Swivel seats with cupholders
-2 Rod holders

Both boat and trailer have clean titles. I am the second owner. The guy just wanted the cash and said he doesn't have the time to use it with work and the car re-builds he does. He told me I could probably turn around and sell it for $3-3500 tomorrow if I wanted to, but he just wanted some dough and I was the lucky guy to offer him cash first. SWEET!
Let the modifications begin.
to be continued....

So here are just some ideas I have so far:
casting deck, center bench seat either a live well or split to have a center walk-way and two side seats with storage, back will be flat decked, newer seats, carpeted, flat carpeted bottom, bow mount trolling motor and of coarse storage

The idea and what I am after is really a lake, bass fishing machine with the capabilities of hitting the Sound for crabbing and salmon fishing, but also with the luxury of taking the whole family out on sunny days and just floating on the water with comfort.

fishnislife
You paid the right price for used equipment.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Looks good man. Got a twelve foot Jon setup with decks recently. Let's go hit some ponds.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:32 pm

tnj8222 wrote:Looks good man. Got a twelve foot Jon setup with decks recently. Let's go hit some ponds.
Let's do that. Your welcome over here anytime too. We can exchange fishing trips.

fishnislife

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue May 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Final Product.

Only thing left is the bow mount trolling motor and pedestal casting seat.
Very happy with all the storage I gained and love the casting deck. No issues with stability while on the deck moving around and everything I have ends up in the seats or up front under the deck and not at my feet.

fishnislife
Attachments
IMAG0029.JPG

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Fishingislife, dang... I have a much newer version of your same boat. I've watched this progress from day 1.
You have a darn nice finished product on your hands.
I'm jealous!!

I had thought about the same mod, however i need that bow space whem i take 2 adults/ and 4 crab pots out to the Sound, plus rods. Looks awesome!