winter run steelhead.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fisherman_max
Commander

winter run steelhead.

Post by Fisherman_max » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:05 am

has anybody tried recently? in my area the peak of the run is happening right now, i am going to get out on the east fork lewis soon to try my luck, has anybody else had any luck or want to show some pictures, or tell stories about the fish they caught recently?
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:winter run steelhead.

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:07 pm

Im going out on new years for the very start of the native steelhead. I will have a fishing report. Still wondering were to go to catch fish.

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:49 pm

what do people use to catch on the east fork of the lewis? i have tried it a few times but never had no luck

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:24 pm

+Drift fishing work for an old buddy of mine

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:00 pm

I went Christmas eve but no steelhead...just whitefish.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:47 pm

No luck in the saltwater for any steelies...Talked to some folks who've already hooked some 15+ lb natives though....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:11 am

i hit the east fork today with no success.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 pm

hey has anybody been fishing lately in the past week. i am looking to do some steelheading this coming weekend and i want to try and get an idea of what rivers are catching any fish.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:48 pm

CHECK OUT BLUEROCKGIRL'S THREAD. THE "B" RUN STEELIES ARE OVER ON THE SNAKE. I THINK TRAVISLIKESFISHING HAS BEEN HAVING LUCK THERE ALSO. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT WESTSIDE RIVERS, BUT, BELOW/ABOVE ICE HARBOR AND LOWER GRANITE ON THE SNAKE ARE ALWAYS GOOD BETS THIS TIME OF YEAR.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:21 pm

I went fishing last Friday at the Carbon. Didn't catch anything because I fell and my reel broke.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 pm

that sounds bad? did you get hurt? so how bad did your reel get it?

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:43 pm

I was walking on the dyke road going to the hole to fish (its about a 1/2 mile), stepped on a round rock and my ankle twisted. I fell knees first and my hands out to catch my fall but I ended up flat. I was worried about animal dodo first then rather any thing broke in my vest pockets. Then my knees hurt. Later I found a bruise on the top of one knee and a small cut on the other. Nothing terrible. A little sore the next day. So I walked down to the river put a hook on and casted out and found I couldn't reel it back in. It's a spinning reel so I took the spool off and found a little silver piece fell to the ground so I tried to get it back on the post but it would only stay there to reel if I kept the pole at 12-1 oclock. So I came home and packaged the reel up and sent it back to Pflueger and we shall see what happens. I didn't think the fall was that bad on the reel. This makes me wonder about its durability. I just got it in Oct. but I couldn't find the reciept. Oh well.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I fish the Green(king county) most often.I havent hooked up on the Green yet.I've only had 1 keeper all season caught on the Snoqualmie in late november.Then again I really so far have had only Saturdays to fish.I fish the Green from the Auburn Golf course on down to Allentown.Its been a slim pickin year for me.This Saturday I'll be in or around Olsons Creek and the Allentown area.Im expecting very clear and low water.Depending on how much theyre letting out the dam.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

FISHKILLER
Petty Officer

Post by FISHKILLER » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:has anybody tried recently? in my area the peak of the run is happening right now, i am going to get out on the east fork lewis soon to try my luck, has anybody else had any luck or want to show some pictures, or tell stories about the fish they caught recently?
FYI, EFL normally does not produce good numbers till late Jan and feb. I have gone down a few time over the past few weeks and the water has good color and vis, there just are not many fish yet. NFL has been pretty good. Washu. and Kalama are both really muddy as of last weekend.
Tight Lines

LM
Petty Officer

Post by LM » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 pm

where is a good spot to go after them around the seattle area? friend want to go but i never fished this part of year

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:07 am

around the seattle area most of the rivers have steelhead but there so few in number its almost not worth it. The green once was a great run but now if you fished there every weekend of the season you would be lucky to get 1 fish. But there are other rivers like the puyallup and the carbon which is a bit of a drive, but not bad compared to the op (Olympic Peninsula).

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:34 am

LM. Drive up to the Sky or Snoqualmie. It'll be your best chance of hooking one...Or drive south to the Cowlitz and engage in the madness...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:48 pm

I fish the Green just about every saturday and the Snoqualmie on Sundays.Its been a bleak year for me with 2 fish all season.One was in late November on the Snoqualmie. Other was a c&r native on the Green last weekend.Good luck to all. Look for a red Toyota pu in or around Auburn. Stop by and say hello.The times this weekend are prime for the Duwamish in and around Tukwilla /Allentown.I might be plunking there on Sat.The upper river will be low and clear.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:22 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:LM. Drive up to the Sky or Snoqualmie. It'll be your best chance of hooking one...Or drive south to the Cowlitz and engage in the madness...
have you fished the cowlitz lately sam?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:14 pm

I figured out why they are called Winter Run Steelies.They run away from me.I fished the lower Green(duwie)on Sat.I spent 4 hours and 1 bite.Some guy came by to chat and was telling me how 1 week ago they nailed them in Auburn.Im thinking to myself"what a liar" I was up there all last weekend and saw one kept.I released a nice native.So far on the Green I've caught and released 2 natives.I cant catch a hatchery fish to save my life.Its always you shouldve been here last week for me.I'll never stop fishing Steelies. Its to deep in my blood.Thanks to my dad who used to take me with him when I was just a kid.
Sunday I fished the snoqualmie up near Tokul with nada.Then I went to the Raging and worked my way up river and caught zippo.Until next weekend.