Two Pole Question

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
eat-sleep-fish
Warrant Officer

Two Pole Question

Post by eat-sleep-fish » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:09 pm

I have a question in regards to fishing near Priest Rapids on the Columbia. It states in the regs that you can fish with two poles except for sturgeon. My question is can you use one pole for sturgeon and another rod for say walleye or whitefish?

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: Two Pole Question

Post by Onmygame » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:14 pm

It would be best if you contacted WDFW for clarification, as you will likely get interpretations here that could easily vary.

My interpretation, FWIW - is if it states you can use only one rod when fishing for sturgeon, you can use only one rod - period.

onmygame

TonyV
Angler

Post by TonyV » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:50 pm

According to the rules, you can only use two poles in lakes. You cannot use two poles in rivers.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:18 pm

But you are also allowed to use 2 poles on salmon in certain parts of the river/ above certain dams.

Page 54 of the rules;

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01726/wdfw01726.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AJ's Dad
Commodore

Post by AJ's Dad » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:27 pm

I say go for it. It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Lol my interpretation would be that if you're not fishing for sturgeon with two poles, the second pole would be legal as long as that body of water permits two pole usage for other species.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:18 am

This is a new version of the old "food fish"-"game fish" argument from back when there were separate entities for fresh and salt water wardens.