Tribes release new news on COHO...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Tribes release new news on COHO...

Post by Bodofish » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 am

Salmon King wrote:Commies = Commercial Fishermen...Non-Tribal

What I got out of that news story is that the Tribal Fishery Managers will consider recommending a ZERO CATCH (No Season) for COHO as a last resort. It would also include all Commercial AND Tribal fishing.
But I'll believe that (no tribal nets in the water) when I see it.
I'll support whatever decision is made because I'm a law-abiding citizen. I may not like but I will follow the law.
But I'm buying a Canadian license this year if they close it though...probably buy one even if they don't. Then I can fish no matter what.

Or....I might put my boat up for sale...not that anyone would buy it if they can't fish...
I imagine you would have an entirely different outlook on commercial fisheries if your family had been in the fishing business for many generations as many in the Seattle and surrounding area are. The commercial fishery is without doubt the most closely controlled fishery in Washington. There is no way for them to cheat. Every single fish is counted and accounted for. It's a lot more than I can say about many Sport Fishermen or Tribal. All boats must sell to a licensed buyer, there is no selling out of your boat or the back of your truck. They do not wipe out your fun, they provide for their families just like you do when you go to work every day. I'm sure they don't label you because of your chosen profession.

Calling them commies is akin me saying you are a commie because you drive your car on the public roads and I don't like it.

Lets all be mindful of how we speak of everyone, we all live together on this earth despite what some would have you believe.

Bottom line is, they are doing something that is perfectly legal and they pay into the State as well, lots of dollars. Only by shear numbers of licenses do Sport Fishermen pay more into the State.

I think you're really upset with the law. If you don't like the law, don't get down on the symptom (Commercials), stand up and do something about it. Complaining does nothing but paint you in a bad light. Do something about it, change the law. It's what democracy is all about. [thumbup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:44 pm

Isn't the reason the tribes want to not have a season for coho is it lets them catch more chinook. Has to do with the number of ESA bycatch before the season gets closed.

Salmon King
Warrant Officer

Post by Salmon King » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:06 pm

All prices will plummet.