Year round lakes??

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Year round lakes??

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Can you guys give me a list of your favorite year round, (Western WA.) Lakes for all things Salmonid?

I am trying to put together a weekend of fishing a few weeks from now, obviously before the lowland lake opener.
Please do not include;

Lake WA.
Lake Sammamish
Lake Stevens
Cambell lake, (Anacortes)
Pass lake

I fish these lakes frequently, so nothing new there.

To make matters more difficult, this would be on pontoon boats, so lakes the size of Sammamish/Lk. WA. are kind of out.
I appreciate whatever ideas you have. [thumbup]

JoshH
Lieutenant

Re: Year round lakes??

Post by JoshH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:54 pm

I am in a kayak, so similar situation to you and your pontoon.

Goodwin - Somewhat larger a lake, but pedaling my kayak I am able to cover the southern half of the lake. I am able to get fairly consistent action long lining a wedding ring with about 1/8th ounce of lead. I have a downrigger on the kayak so I run that a bit deeper chasing marks on the sonar. Healthy fat fish, even the 12 in fish are fat. It gets little pressure in the warmer months due to all of the pleasure boaters taking over the lake, so the fish come late fall and winter haven't been chased and are allowed to grow.

Cranberry at deception pass - people pass this one up a lot. It's fairly shallow, only about 15 feet most of the lake. It doesn't get a lot of pressure year round yet gets a healthy plant each year. The bonus is that you can chase browns there. I've been with someone that pulled out a 8lb brown.

Tye in Monroe - if you can carry your pontoon about 70 yards it would be an interesting one. It gets a lot of bank fishing pressure year round, but still puts our healthy hold-overs. Over the years I see plenty of 2-4lb bows pulled out. Ive seen guys carry in boats there and do well.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks Josh, I am familiar with Goodwin and Cranberry both, although I haven't fished Cranberry since about 1980 maybe!
Tye lake is one strange lake to me. The one time I was there it just seemed to be the most unattractive piece of water. Seemed like I remember it as being very rectangle shaped, with no wooded sides, very stark and bare. (But of course I really care more about the fishing) 😉
Cranberry is a nice thought because it is in good proximity to Cambell lake, which is putting out some fatties currently.

JoshH
Lieutenant

Post by JoshH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 pm

I like to chase the browns on cranberry with gold spoons with just a small amount of lead. I usually wind up weeding through quite a few bows before or even if I get into one. From my experience the browns seem to lime the western part of the lake. The only drawback is its so close to the salt and there is no wind break between the lake and the salt. So if its windy, even though the lake is small, you can get blown around a bit.

Tye is an just a dug out hole they built a park around and let fill up, but the fishing is surprisingly consistent.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:49 am

I like shoecraft lake. I have caught big fish there. The one big benefit about shoecraft is that it has little to no shore bank fishing. There is a boat launch but it is through a small creek which can make launching a bit of a challenge. Ive been out there to be the only boat on the water

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:39 am

Beaver Lake by Sammamish.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:47 am

There are a few out toward Olympia area, Lake Lawrence, St Clare, Offutt Lake is another good one. Ohop, Lake Meridian are a few off the top of my head. Always double check the regs to make sure there open. I know WDFW are starting to stock fish like crazy, They just put 15000 fish in Kapowsin lake that is a ton of fish for the small lake but I think this does not open till last weekend in April.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:17 am

Hunter757 wrote:There are a few out toward Olympia area, Lake Lawrence, St Clare, Offutt Lake is another good one. Ohop, Lake Meridian are a few off the top of my head. Always double check the regs to make sure there open. I know WDFW are starting to stock fish like crazy, They just put 15000 fish in Kapowsin lake that is a ton of fish for the small lake but I think this does not open till last weekend in April.
I don't think Kapowsin is little and it is open year round
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:58 am

Martha at WB is a very pretty lake and custom made for your Toon. I cant fish there due to an engine on my boat. I love Cavanaugh for its beauty and the launch area is perfect for toons.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 am

cobrar543 wrote:Martha at WB is a very pretty lake and custom made for your Toon. I cant fish there due to an engine on my boat. I love Cavanaugh for its beauty and the launch area is perfect for toons.
Some good ideas, thanks guys.
That whole chain of lakes up by Shoecraft, might be an option, as there about 5-6 lakes all really close. Just have to check year round reg. status.

Cobra543, Cavanaugh is a really pretty lake. When the Kokanee bite is on, it is awesome. I find the cutts. in there to be very undernourished looking.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:15 am

Kapowsin is one of my favorite winter lakes (when I can get down that way). Usually some pretty big fish cruising the timber near the shorelines.

Also there's Cassidy and blackman's. I've gotten fish out of both in the past this time of year.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:13 pm

I used to duck hunt on Kapowsin in the winter...but that was a few years ago. Good fishing lake but to many stumps for my likes. Its a great lake for smaller boats and taking kids for some great action.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Angle in Seatac- starting to kick out some of the planted steelhead and kokes should be biting soon.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:28 am

For skagit theres Clear lk big lk beaver lk mud lk Grandy lk off the top of my head.. For Snohomish theres matha goodwin twin cassidy silver.. and all are stocked or will be in the next few weeks

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:59 am

from what I hear Martha Lake in Warm Beach is switching to selective gear regs later in the year.

TyeeMatt
Petty Officer

Post by TyeeMatt » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:37 am

I fished Munn Lake in Thurston County last weekend for the first time and had some luck. Selective gear but very manageable in my pontoon. I got a late start and was on the water by noon, but the bite didn't pick up until around 2:30pm. I caught some nice-sized planted cutts and a big holdover rainbow that put up a good fight. Great launch as well. I second Offut Lake, which is very close to Munn, and have caught a trout there I think in every month of the year. It's a bigger lake but the good fishing that I've had is pretty close to the WDFW launch.
http://rainiervalleyangler.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greenfishnut
Petty Officer

Post by Greenfishnut » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Panther Lake: 47 acres;.
Tye Lake: 40 acres;
Chain Lake: 23 acres,
Lake Roesiger
Goodwin
Lake Cassidy
Blackmans Lake

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:11 pm

Appreciate all the help guys, I think I'm covered now.
Just a reminder, I'm aware of which lakes are year round lakes. I was looking for personal favorites.
But thanks anyways

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:36 pm

Kitsap Lake and Spencer Lake over on the Kitsap Peninsula if you want to travel that way. Both are probably stocked by now, Spencer was our go to for February/March trout fishing for some jumbos.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Might consider Spada Lake........:-)?

Or.......once was enough ;-(

Or, there is this sweet set up of a pond in Arlington.......boat or two on the bank waiting for a fishermen to borrow, if your not shy. :cheers: