Bank Access for Sturgeon

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Ian Horning
Petty Officer

Bank Access for Sturgeon

Post by Ian Horning » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:08 am

Hi all,

First off, by mentioning sturgeon, I know many people get very protective of the fish, their specific holes, techniques, ect. I don't want any flames thrown at me for seeking out information regarding the seeking and catch and release of the largest freshwater sport fish of the Northwest, the White Sturgeon.

So with that being said, I am looking for advice in tracking down these prehistoric giants. I have only tangled with this fish twice, one ending in triumph, the other in heartbreak. Two oversize fish, tow epic fights. But that was long, long ago, and I had an experienced fisherman and friend as a guide.

I believe I am geared up adequately, plus or minus a few easily-accessible goods. I have a good, stout rod (Actually designed for heavy-duty salmon fishing) that should fit the bill, a large levelwind reel, 50lb braided mainline, and stout 80lb? Dacron leaders. I have (or can purchase) weights of any size, depending on the location and current. I also have magic thread for securing the bait as well as knowledge for half-hitches and such. Scent is obviously in my possession as well.

So, the big question is where. Timing isn't so much an issue, I believe I have a decent grasp on that. But for someone (From around Everett) without a method of accessing the rivers via boat, I am stuck to the bank. If anyone is actually willing to help me on my quest, I could use some guidance. If not, it's trial and error. If y'all are worried about disclosing locations or such, feel free to PM me. And you have my word that I will not spread any information gathered about the interweb that isn't meant to be shared.

Thanks in advance for any advice y'all are willing to put forward. And if none does come forward, no hard feelings.

Tight, unbroken lines,

Ian
You never know what you'll discover..... If you take a couple of steps into the water.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Re: Bank Access for Sturgeon

Post by countryboy87 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 am

first off i have minimal knowledge but i am more than willing to share what information i do have.. we are very lucky here in the north sound to have ample oportunities to fish for these great fish from shore on lil back sloughs and "s" rivers to fishing them out in the salt.. if you would like i would gladly meet up and pass on what knowledge and locations i do know.. and who knows we might even catch one

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:07 am

There is bank access in Stanwood. Check the aerial maps. All of those waterways hold sturgeon.

3-4 sandshrimp tied on the hook with stretchy thread/miracle thread. Fish the flood, and slack. If the current is moving too much your bait wont lay flat on bottom. I would REALLY consider stepping that braid up to a heavier weight... especially from shore. We always ran 80 lb, and found that to be adequate for (somewhat) controlling the bigger ones. We had the luxury to chase them with the boat, but from shore line stripping runs could easily spool you. They almost always are good for one huge run once you set the hook, the oversized would usually go for 100 yards or more once we got the point in them. You really want to play the fish as quickly as you can. Light gear will land them, but it just takes too long and does a number on the fish, decreasing their survival odds.

I don't know why anyone would keep it hush hush, hardly anyone targets them anymore since the listing as CnR only. If you have a boat the lower Stilly below Marine Dr can be productive, as can steamboat slough. If you get access to a boat PM me and I will give you some spots to anchor.

Good Luck.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:32 am

Matt wrote:There is bank access in Stanwood. Check the aerial maps. All of those waterways hold sturgeon.

3-4 sandshrimp tied on the hook with stretchy thread/miracle thread. Fish the flood, and slack. If the current is moving too much your bait wont lay flat on bottom.

Good Luck.

You ever do any good with any bait besides shrimp??

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Ebey slough near the highway 2 trestle. i seen a guy land a sturgeon there before. Take hwy2 from everet towards lake stevens, take the homeacres rd. Exit off the trestle, follow the one way rd, parallel to the trestle towards lake stevens, there is a wdfw parking lot and 3 miles or so of dike road along ebey slough. The parking lot is down a gravel path that leads under the ebey slough bridge. Legal decent access to the ebey slough estuary is here. Ive caught salmon, and sea run cutts, sometimes by the dozen here, deppending on the day. i think its closed right now, but not sure about that.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

TrailsEnd
Angler

Post by TrailsEnd » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:22 pm

I personally believe squid is the best bait for sturgeon, I use squid on the lower columbia and have caught them every time I've tried.. good luck!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 pm

We have had success on squid, herring, and shrimp all 3. We would take whole herring and just throw them in rock salt a day or 2 until they were like rubber, then half hitch them a bunch of times with dacron and throw them out. Stayed on the hook a long time and stunk to high heaven. I would say we have equal success on herring as we ever did on sand shrimp, some days the herring outproduced it. Every day we went we brought some. Squid is great as well, but much much more messy than the others. That stuff wreaks!

I think the reason sandshrimp is the bait of choice locally is that is generally a large portion of the food source those fish are finding the marine nearshore of Priest Point and Port Susan where they spend a good deal of time feeding.

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:29 pm

So whens the big Group get together on the beach for these awesome fish??

Sixgill
Petty Officer

Post by Sixgill » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:02 pm

Bank access is limited, but there are a few spots. Look for deeper water, but don't worry if the water is shallow sometimes you find a surgeon in water 6 feet or less. It's possible to land fish from the bank, but the odds of one of these dinosaurs wrapping you up on some sort of snag is very high. Don't be discouraged though Puget Sound tributary sturgeon are not the easiest fish to catch, but if you put in your time you'll be rewarded. Also there's a lot of great information on my Facebook group so check it out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1577905432465132/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;