ringold steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
riverhunter
Commander

ringold steelhead

Post by riverhunter » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:27 am

Im heading over to the tri cities area this weekend and was thinking of bringing my steelhead rod and try ringold on the columbia for steelhead. Never fished it so any advice on how and what to use. Will be bank fishing only.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: ringold steelhead

Post by BentRod » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:40 am

Been a lot of years since I fished there, but the water there is not very technical, so a lot of guys will use cured shrimp under a float, plunk spin'n'glows w/ shrimp or roe, or toss spinners. The river level (dam regulated) will alter quite a bit and if it's low you're in good shape, if it's high, then you're usually dealing with fishing around the brush. Hopefully someone else with more recent experience will chime in.
Good luck.

fishslayer80
Petty Officer

Post by fishslayer80 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:09 pm

Bouncing shrimp and eggs has been catching fish.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 am

Can the ringold area still produce steelhead around this time of year? Or is there another location I should be thinking of hitting

rojomojo
Petty Officer

Post by rojomojo » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:16 am

riverhunter:

you can still catch fish here until the March 31st date. MOST the time, these are punky fish that are hanging out infront of the hatchery. I've used goober-jigs and plain jigs with shrimp and caught these late fish. Its REALLY a fun fishery for catch and release.
However, I've seen some strange things out there. I watched a guy catch a bright early steelhead before, an early springer when there used to be a hatchery for salmon at that location, and sturgeon that are sniffing around.