Drifting eggs setup

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Drifting eggs setup

Post by Big-Fish91 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:24 am

My setup:
3/8oz cannon ball
20lb maxima ug mainline
3ft leader, seaguar invisix 12lb
Size 2 owner hook
Borax/sugar 1:1 cured eggs, quarter size

I fished a hole that I saw had fish in it, but no takers. A guy walks down to the hole and TOTTALLY kills it.
Ignoring whatever cure he was using, is there anything wrong with my presentation?

spokey9
Captain

Re: Drifting eggs setup

Post by spokey9 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:31 am

dpending on current speed, may be too much lead for a good presentantion. i use as little weight as possible. at times, if the flows allows, use a single split shot or no weight.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 am

spokey9 wrote:dpending on current speed, may be too much lead for a good presentantion. i use as little weight as possible. at times, if the flows allows, use a single split shot or no weight.
Yes that makes sense. The flow is moderately fast, if that makes any sense. It's about 5-9ft deep as well

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:14 am

if you were getting a good drift, then it may just be the cure. your rig as describe sounds about right. 20lb mainline is bit much and depending on water clarity may spook some fish.

try bringing a couple different scents and mix it up a bit til you find a combo that the fish want.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:19 am

spokey9 wrote:dpending on current speed, may be too much lead for a good presentantion. i use as little weight as possible. at times, if the flows allows, use a single split shot or no weight.
This. ^
Using too much lead can make a big difference on presentation. There were several times this year where I was tossing eggs at groups of fish and nothing, as soon as I took my lead off, I started catching. So light weight or none at all can make a difference. It's all about presentation with eggs, egg cure can also make a big difference at times though. Also, if the fish aren't biting on larger sized clusters of eggs, size down, Even to nickle or dime sized clusters.

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:20 am

Lighten your mainline. 12lb is probably the heaviest I'd go. You can use heavier leaders if the spot you're fishing isn't very snaggy. It helps so the fish don't chew you off on deep hookups. Run pencil lead so you can cut the weight to suit the drift.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:25 am

+1 everything blakep said,
I use 8-12lb maxima ug mono as my leader though. Also try a 2ft leader with lighter weight, for example 10ft deep pool with slow to moderate current use 1/8oz split shot 2ft then eggs.. I usually use nickel size eggs. In faster current id go 3ft though.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:43 pm

Thx all!
Ill definitely lighten the main line and play around with the lead sizes.

Probably have to bring other egg cures to play with as well.

lidong6
Petty Officer

Post by lidong6 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Big-Fish91, what kind of setup is that guy using? did you see that?

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:11 pm

lidong6 wrote:Hi Big-Fish91, what kind of setup is that guy using? did you see that?
Yes I did, he was drifting eggs also. His leader, judging from my view, was probably 5ft.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:26 pm

5' leader while drifting eggs? dang that's long. I love drifting eggs for coho. either 12lb mono or 20lb braid main, light lead, 2-3ft 10lb fluoro leader 1/0 hook. I always bring numorous cures to the river but usually pink or red pautzkes firecure or borax o fire with added stuff

SalmonAddict
Warrant Officer

Post by SalmonAddict » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:46 am

I have seen cohos even biting eggs where a leader is 20lb test.
So I'm gonna have to say its either your weight being a bit on the heavy side or your egg cure.

Good luck!

Big-Fish91
Petty Officer

Post by Big-Fish91 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:5' leader while drifting eggs? dang that's long. I love drifting eggs for coho. either 12lb mono or 20lb braid main, light lead, 2-3ft 10lb fluoro leader 1/0 hook. I always bring numorous cures to the river but usually pink or red pautzkes firecure or borax o fire with added stuff
It was eye openin to see it that long, but can't hate how it out fished us haha
SalmonAddict wrote:I have seen cohos even biting eggs where a leader is 20lb test.
So I'm gonna have to say its either your weight being a bit on the heavy side or your egg cure.

Good luck!
Yea I will bring a load of different cures next time, well I mean next year hehe.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:51 am

The best cure I know is 3 parts borax, two parts brown sugar and one part salt.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:58 pm

[quote="Big-Fish91 ...Yea I will bring a load of different cures next time, well I mean next year hehe.[/quote]

when I'm fishing eggs for salmon, I usually bring 2 different cures with me (unless I'm fishing springers then I bring along a 3rd) and 5 different scents. I can mix and match the eggs and scents til I find a winning combo and it all fits in my small soft cooler I use for bait fishing. The scents I usually bring are sandshrimp, herring, squid, anise, and butt juice. Usually if there's any biters around I can coax up a few takes.

lidong6
Petty Officer

Post by lidong6 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:47 pm

2 cure + 5 scent, the number of combination going to be big, if you find one combo works, won't it work next time in the same river?

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:47 am

lidong6 wrote:2 cure + 5 scent, the number of combination going to be big, if you find one combo works, won't it work next time in the same river?
yeah it'll give a person a couple options lol. i usually start of with what i've success with in the past on a given river, but sometimes that doesnt work. so i bring some stuff to play around with til i find a bite.

lidong6
Petty Officer

Post by lidong6 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks spokey9.