Potholes

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rondvu2
Angler

Potholes

Post by Rondvu2 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Potholes still fishable for bass this late in the year? Are the dunes basically inaccessible from low water forcing the fish out into the main reservoir? Thinking about one last trip.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Potholes

Post by Amx » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Rondvu2 wrote:Potholes still fishable for bass this late in the year?

yes, most years, depending on how low the water is this year and if any of the ramps can be used. Call Mardon's.

Are the dunes basically inaccessible from low water forcing the fish out into the main reservoir?

ya, sorta, pretty much, depending on the water level.

Thinking about one last trip.
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:53 pm

I wouldnt trust Mardons 100% on how fishable the lake is or how usable the ramps are. They have told me their ramp was just fine and when I got there, the very next morning, our boat barely got wet when we backed the trailer as far down as we could go. No way to launch or re-load.

They have also told me that fishing was fantastic yet - after we had a bad day of fishing - I talk to the fish checkers they say no one has been catching much of anything for days......

I'd suggest you talk to people who have recently posted reports. Maybe some of them will see this and post.

Either way - good luck!

I love Potholes, but am not so much a fan of Mardons.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:55 pm

I hate liers so I hope they weren't lying to get your business.
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:57 pm

LOL!

I dont think Ive ever talked to any resort owner who said the fishing was so-so. Its always a 5+! Same thing for most guides. I understand why they do it but dont like it much either.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:29 am

I last fished Potholes Sept 11-14 with 5 other friends in 3 other boats. I doubt the water is lower now and have heard it is starting to rise. Though my source isn't strong, this would be consistent with the past, I believe. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the water isn't lower than it was in mid-September. That being the case, we had no trouble launching at the big launch in the SE part of the reservoir. Also, the small mouth bass were quite willing to be caught then. As far as largemouth, I never tried and didn't catch any. I will be in the area briefly in a couple of weeks and am also thinking of putting in a good 5-6 hours. Go for it! I will! Good luck.

Rondvu2
Angler

Post by Rondvu2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:00 am

Thanks for the replies! I decided to gamble and make the trip over. I didn't even bother at Mar-Dons and went straight to the Lind Coulee launch in the SE corner. Launched from that ramp with no issues. My questions about Potholes being fishable this time of year were silly now in hindsight. Caught around 30 fish in 6 hours. Mostly 3+ pounds with a few going mid 4's. Hooked into a largemouth that wouldn't show himself for 4-5 minutes. Once he came up and we saw him, he decided to go back down and snapped me off. He was easily double the size we were catching. That one hurt! Smallmouth were active as well. Find rocks, you've found smallmouth! First one I pulled in had a crawfish half down his throat. Told me all I needed to know. Absolutely hammered them. Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANTLY...when it was time to trailer the boat at the end of the day...an absolute CLOUD of mosquitoes was waiting to eat any and everything in sight. I made it out with around 20 bites across both arms and legs. Was the trip worth the blood I gave, yes. Would the 2+ hour drive home been more enjoyable without the itching..hell yes. Be warned!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:07 am

Glad it worked out!

You should put up a report.

Rondvu2
Angler

Post by Rondvu2 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:11 am

Just tossed it up!