Looking for Snohomish small boat advice.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BentRod
Admiral

Looking for Snohomish small boat advice.

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:18 am

Hi All,
I have a 12' aluminum boat (v hull) with a 15hp outboard (prop). I've used it on the Duamish a few times successfully, but would like to try checking out the Snohomish.
My research indicates launching at either Rotary Park or Cady Park. I plan to troll plugs mainly and if that doesn't work then maybe go cast jigs, Dick Nites, or drift some eggs.
My online searches have given lots of info on fishing from Everett all the way up to Thomas Eddy, but could use some experienced advice. i.e., Should I launch at Rotary or Cady, target the river down by Rotary or stay above Snohomish, avoid certain areas, etc.
Thanks for any help,
BR

Lingking
Petty Officer

Re: Looking for Snohomish small boat advice.

Post by Lingking » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:24 am

I have been launching at Cady park every time. I can run all the way down to i-5 if I need to. you can't get too much further up with a prop it starts to get really shallow after the mouth of the pilhuck. The farthest I have been up is to the bottom of Douglas bar and its really skinny water. There is a recent post that there are some fish just above Rotary Park right now. I would take it at face value though, some of the responses on it make it seem like it's not too truthful.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:32 am

Lingking wrote:I have been launching at Cady park every time. I can run all the way down to i-5 if I need to. you can't get too much further up with a prop it starts to get really shallow after the mouth of the pilhuck. The farthest I have been up is to the bottom of Douglas bar and its really skinny water. There is a recent post that there are some fish just above Rotary Park right now. I would take it at face value though, some of the responses on it make it seem like it's not too truthful.
Thanks,
I've read that about the Pilchuck and don't plan to go any farther up river than that.
Good info.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:30 am

Below the Pilchuck you should be fine as long as you look out for stumps and deadheads.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

HULI_ISDA
Petty Officer

Post by HULI_ISDA » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:01 am

Just go very slow and careful, with open eyes on logs and stumps.i dont own a boat I only fish banks, but I saw lots of boat got stuck cause they're going too fast. Dont be that kinda captain. Good luck and be safe.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks for the help.
What exactly is a deadhead? I assume it's a log?
Do you think Rotary or Cady would be best for hand launching without a trailer?
Oh, and I try to be as safe as possible....part of the reason I'm asking before I go!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 pm

At either place you'll have to drive down the ramp to launch a car topper or out of the back. Shouldn't be a problem. You can only do what you can, make it happen.

PS; Yes, a deadhead is a log.... in the river that is. sometimes they show themselves, sometimes not. You don't want to hit one.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Thor
Petty Officer

Post by Thor » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:19 pm

All of the above is good advice. I would also suggest to launch and explore the river at a low tide. The stumps, logs, and deadheads in the water will give you a better idea of where to go and where not to go. I have seen boats with props past the railroad bridge above Snohomish and up past the Pilchuck, but there was always one person in the bow looking out for the stumps and they were going slow. Good luck fishing!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks for the info guys. I plan to give it a shot tomorrow. Looks like the tides will be on the high side tomorrow, so won't have a chance to get a good lay of the land Thor. However, we'll play it safe and keep the speed down and a watchful eye.
Sounds like a different game than the lower Duamish which doesn't have much in the way of obstacles below 112th…..besides fellow anglers!
Any info on average depth of the channel between Rotary and Snohomish or is it variable?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Between rotary and snohomish is deep and you should have no problem getting around. If you ride the high tide you can go as high as douglas bar if your careful. If your really ballsy you could go further than that too.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:11 pm

jonb wrote:Between rotary and snohomish is deep and you should have no problem getting around. If you ride the high tide you can go as high as douglas bar if your careful. If your really ballsy you could go further than that too.
Thanks. I plan to stick to the lower river for now. Hopefully that will be entertaining enough.

Goldrigger1
Petty Officer

Post by Goldrigger1 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:55 am

Interesting question in that I've learned with a 16' boat. I have a great fish finder so I've found the channels. There are deep channels up to a few hundred yards before Doug Bar. At that point you had better be there on high tide.

I have never had a problem getting above the Pilchuck. From there up I move to the left side right next to shore except for awhile. Bellow the town, I've never had a problem even at high speed. There are sunken logs that appear at low tide even in the travel channels.

My greatest fear is floating logs after rain. I can go 35 mph and I stand up so I can see those coming. My worst moment was hitting a concrete pier that looked like an old tree trunk just above the town. At least I was just floating downstream.

Is it fun? Yup, but I've patched a few times. I'd rather go in the salt or bigger rivers.