Upper Wanapum Dam Salmon

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Upper Wanapum Dam Salmon

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:09 am

I know salmon fishing is crazy below Wanapum Dam, but has anybody fished or know of anybody who has fished for kings right above the Dam? I know the kings have to pass through to go north and the water looks calm. I would think it would be like fishing the Brewster Pool. Any information would be great. Fishing by boat.
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm

riverhunter
Commander

Re: Upper Wanapum Dam Salmon

Post by riverhunter » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:11 pm

We fished it two years and on the other side of wanapum dam it is around 100-200 foot deep. Not exactly sure the depths but we didn't mark any large schools near the bottom nor in the the water column. It seems to me as the reason wanapum produces well that it is a spot where fish have no choice but to school up before heading up river. A road block and once they make it through they shoot pass that area to another good holding area

Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks for the information Riverhunter.
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:30 pm

I've seen people fish for them under the Vantage bridge, same idea, it's a good choke point. And it's two minutes from a boat ramp, a really nice one whit lots of parking.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!