Whats your favorite switching rod?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tframe
Angler

Re: Whats your favorite switching rod?

Post by tframe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Ok thought I would chime in on this. First off technique is way more important than rod. I've caught fish twitching on telescopic trout rods to heavy rods perfect for chum and kings. Medium light rods rated for 6-12 to medium heavy rods rated for 8-17. In my opinion it doesn't matter really. People get caught up on all this fancy gear spending hundreds of dollars when technique, presentation and knowledge of the fish is most important. My rod I use for twitching most of the time is an old eagle claw rod my grandfather gave me when I was little and is medium action and 7' long. I have landed pinks, silvers, steelhead and chum on this old rod and it does just fine and is a lot of fun. It does wonders but so do my other rods because I put in the time to master the technique. I use my nicer rods for other techniques. Use what your most comfortable with and most importantly get the "twitch" down and it won't matter what rod you use.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:11 pm

i definately agree with the fact that skill and technique is by far the most important aspect of catching fish, but i definately do have a prefference for lighter rods, and shorter rods. can you catch fish twitching on other rods? sure you can, does that mean its the best most prefferable rod to use, no. i find what i recommended to be best, i litterally catch more fish twitching with that particular rod than others, because i feel i have better control of the jig, and therefor have more confidense in my set up. jigging with confidense is a BIG part of why im successful at jigging. its all by feel so if the rod doesnt feel right, odds are you wont jig confidentally and will start making mistakes, and your lure will probably spend less time in the strike zone, ultimately resulting in less fish.
Last edited by jonb on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

tframe
Angler

Post by tframe » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:04 pm

I agree with you. Just saying its all personal preference and people get carried away thinking they have to spend money and have to have a certain type of rod. The best rod is the rod you feel the most confident with.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 pm

sounds like we agree to me. i would say the dollar amount doesnt make a huge difference also. i like having a warranty,which is why i spend more. i agree a cheap rod would suffice, especially if your still learning.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.