Whats your favorite switching rod?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
john maher
Angler

Whats your favorite switching rod?

Post by john maher » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm in the process of getting a rod specifically for twitching jigs in rivers. Range from 1/8 to 3/8 most of the of the time. Maybe 1/2 oz jigs now and then. Which brand/model/specs switching rods do you prefer and why?

Ratherbefishing
Petty Officer

Re: Whats your favorite switching rod?

Post by Ratherbefishing » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:16 pm

:)
Last edited by Ratherbefishing on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:48 pm

8-17lb is WAY too heavy for a twitching rod...

6'6" 6-12lb cabelas xml rod is the best rod ive twitched with yet, its on the heavy side of good though, if i got a new twitching rod id probably go with 4-10lb 6'6". fast action is a must. 8lb mono mainline maxima ug or izorline mono will be your best choices for line.

you want a rod that has a light feel in your hand, but also have some back bone and a fast action tip, big enough to hold and cast 8lb mono well, but light enough to not tire out your "twitching arm"

as far as brand goes id go with the brands that have the best warranties and customer service. local is better too. my top choices would be lamiglas (not x11) or cabelas (due to easy return/replace policy). the xml, not the fish eagle50 as the fisheagle50 warranty was recently reduced to 1 year which is bs. so go with xml if your getting a cabelas rod, 25 year warranty.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Ratherbefishing
Petty Officer

Post by Ratherbefishing » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:55 pm

Last edited by Ratherbefishing on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:41 pm

i didnt knock yours, dont take it personal. i just disagree with your opinion, to the point i felt it needed mention.

Ratherbefishing
Petty Officer

Post by Ratherbefishing » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:50 pm

Last edited by Ratherbefishing on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

john maher
Angler

Post by john maher » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:10 pm

Thanks for the input so far. I am looking forward adding yet another rod to my collection. I may be running out to kayak to give it another try and will swing by Cabelas.

Freshwater206
Angler

Post by Freshwater206 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:37 pm

Fenwick HMG 7' Med Lt power fast action 6-12lb line

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:58 pm

All a little short for me. Are we bass fishun in the river? I'm more of a 9'6'" medium light fast action. I'm assuming you're going after Coho or stinks this year. That's my preference.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:10 pm

I'm with Bodo on this one. If you want to toss jigs from the bank as light as 1/8 oz, you'll want something with medium to light action. I like a 9'6" to 10' rod. I picked up a 9'6" Lamiglas X11 medium action last December that works great for twitching jigs (3/16 to 3/8 oz) and spoons. It's been a good performer on Steelhead and Pinks so far.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:28 pm

BentRod wrote:I'm with Bodo on this one. If you want to toss jigs from the bank as light as 1/8 oz, you'll want something with medium to light action. I like a 9'6" to 10' rod. I picked up a 9'6" Lamiglas X11 medium action last December that works great for twitching jigs (3/16 to 3/8 oz) and spoons. It's been a good performer on Steelhead and Pinks so far.

YEP!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 pm

i caught a bass in the snohomish once. ive seen bluegill caught there also.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:13 pm

jonb wrote:i caught a bass in the snohomish once. ive seen bluegill caught there also.
Yes there have been a number of bucket brigade bass releases on the Snoho and the Snoq. They're out there. I used to catch them around Duval on occasion. Also they escape out of the ponds when the river floods the valley.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:30 am

to me, anything over 9' is drift or float rod material. ive always done my best work twitching a shorter rod. even as short as 5' and as light as 2-8lbs.. think trout rod.. that is what i concider best for twitching, and my results have been VERY good this year, and every pink year for that matter, typically better than most other people around me. a find a long rod is cumbersome and coarse, i have better control over the jig with a shorter rod.

john maher
Angler

Post by john maher » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:11 pm

jonb, do you use the weight balancing system with your rod?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:25 pm

not sure im familiar with what your talking about, mr. maher. i typically use lines and lures appropriate for the recommended use on the rod, if thats not what you mean, then im unsure, but would like clarification as to what that is.

john maher
Angler

Post by john maher » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:46 pm

I looked up the rod at Cabelas's website. Apparently, you can add an optional weight balancing thing to your rod so it isn't so tip heavy. I like the idea of a one piece rod for jigging. I am seriously thinking of ordering the rod you mentioned. Anyhow, I probably won't bother with that option until I try the rod first. I looked at the other suggestion by another poster, but I don't like the handle style....with the blank exposed in the middle. Just looks weird.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

this xml has been every bit of awesome since ive got it, tons of back bone and super fast action tip,( my prefference for twitching) but most of all it just has a feel of quality, and i really feel secure in that it is durable, the marine grade eyelets are just icing on the cake. the 25 year warranty almost seems like overkill because it just feels like the kind of rod thats built to last.

john maher
Angler

Post by john maher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:16 pm

They are nice looking rods! The store didn't have the model I was looking for so i decided to go ahead and try a tourney trail one piece, im8 rod 6'6'' medium power 6 to 12 and fast action. Didn't want to wait for shipping and will be using it tomorrow. Definitely looking into getting one of those xmls down the road. never have enough rods right?! Anyhow, I decided it was time for me to try those split grips since a lot of new rods have them.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:46 pm

i know what you mean about never having enough rods, i just thinned down to a bare bones skeleton collection of 10 rods.. and there is so much i need to get... my fishing addiction is out of control lol