Potholes Water Level

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Potholes Water Level

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:32 am

Anyone have an idea of water level for Potholes? Curious how it's effecting the fishing...

DavidA
Lieutenant

Re: Potholes Water Level

Post by DavidA » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:43 am

I'm headed there this weekend and can report next week. Good fishing reports seem to be starting to show up!

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:58 am

It impacts where one can launch but doesn't appear to be affecting the fishing.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:05 pm

The fish in Potholes are use to the water going down every summer. They just move out a little bit, then further again.
Tom.

Interests: living

ImaFrayedKnot
Petty Officer

Post by ImaFrayedKnot » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:43 pm

This time of year, temps, etc what depth would you expect to find fish? I'm headed out there Friday and would like to better my last outing.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:47 pm

5 feet down to 30 feet. Outside the dunes, back in Lind Coolie, outside Winchester in deeper water. Off the dam and around Goose Island, in 5 foot to 30 foot of water.
Tom.

Walleye Be Damn
Petty Officer

Post by Walleye Be Damn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:25 am

I live here in Moses Lake next to the Potholes. With the water level being low during the summer, the fishing is very good. With the water level low, the fish seem to be more congregated. If you fish the Potholes, focus on the crab creek area. 9-25' of water seems to be productive. In the crab creek area the underwater sand dunes causes the depth to change which attracts the walleye, lots of structure.

You know you are in the right place when you see the cluster of boats, where there are boats, there are fish. I will be there on Sunday, kid has a soccer game on Saturday.

Good luck!
Proud to have served: Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Rondvu2
Angler

Post by Rondvu2 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:22 am

I was wondering about this myself thinking there might be time for one last trip over the mountains. I launched at MarDon my last trip and had to back the truck damn near into the lake before the boat came off the trailer. If its any lower than it was then(Late July), that's a no go for sure. What is the best lower water launch?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:57 am

Rondvu2 wrote:I was wondering about this myself thinking there might be time for one last trip over the mountains. I launched at MarDon my last trip and had to back the truck damn near into the lake before the boat came off the trailer. If its any lower than it was then(Late July), that's a no go for sure. What is the best lower water launch?
On the other end of the dam. The public launch should be good, it's on the same road Mardon's is on, go north.
Tom.

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:19 am

The WDFW launch on the east end of the lake was still working when I was last there. It's definitely deep enough to float my boat off. The Lind Coulee launch on Road M is too shallow.