best bait for large rainbows

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:best bait for large rainbows

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:19 am

zen leecher aka Bill W wrote:I troll rapalas for larger trout. F5 to F7 works. Husky Jerks in some of the newer colors are good in the F6 size.
here's what I said in October. I like the 402 color and the glass minnow colors. The glass minnow colors put out sparkle like real minnows (just my opinion) and I think the 402 Clown works good as an attractor.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:24 pm

i use a red #4 gamakatsu hook when i blow up nightcrawlers for trout. i tried those worm pumps and never liked them. i got a couple of insulin syringes from my buddies mom and they work great
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

trout slayer
Petty Officer

Post by trout slayer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:30 pm

if you switch out the original treble hooks with gamakatsu red trebles on rapalas its works great and gives the bleeding bait effect:rambo:
10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:43 pm

All the baits that were mentioned will catch BIG trout. All lakes are diffrent though, this will at least give you a place to start. Dont be afraid to swich it up. Most of the biggest trout are caught on bass, walleye and salmon tackle. If you give it time the bigger baits will produce some nice trout. Let us know what works for you.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:28 am

I'll agree with Sam on the "worm inflator." We were out at Beaver Lake and a guy had found a hole in the far south part of the lake and got his limit in 1 1/2 hours of 5 nice holdovers (16") We had been fishing powerbait the whole time oblivious to the fact of the worm inflator, and had nothing to show for it. You can get BIG fish suspending a worm off the bottom, and sometimes the worm can just sit there on the bottom by an outlet stream and the fish will go ahead and take it right off the bottom!

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:43 pm

yeah worm inflators work real well for the big rainbows. i have caught alot of big ones like that. buzz bombs also work well for big fish.

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am

colton wrote:. buzz bombs also work well for big fish.
Does anyone know if buzz bombs are used in lakes to catch rainbow trout, like Beaver Lake?
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:52 pm

cutthroatkiller wrote:
Does anyone know if buzz bombs are used in lakes to catch rainbow trout, like Beaver Lake?

I have a few small buzz bombs and cripled hearrings that I bought for big trout in deep lakes. I have never actually caught a trout on them, but they are perfect for selective gear lakes. At dusty lake last spring I had a huge 5+ lb trout on right before dusk. I was day dreaming when it hit and I thought it was a snage until I saw the fish fly out of the water, it shook the single point barbles hook really quick.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Troll with the current. Otherwise, you will have to get going atleast 2-3 mph to move anywhere, and your lures and/or dodger/flasher will be going crazy moving up in 2-3mph current.

Feeding fish will be facing the current to get baitfish and whatever else they eat getting pushed around by current. So run your lure the way they will be looking...
Back troll or back bounce. put the wiggler right in their faces. easier to control your speed and the lure spends more time in front of the fish.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

FishingFool
Captain

Post by FishingFool » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:39 am

cutthroatkiller wrote:
I saw some russian folks using small buzzbombs at lake meridian this late fall to catch kokanee. Worked well too actually.