Skokomish River Opener

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BigDee
Petty Officer

Skokomish River Opener

Post by BigDee » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:22 am

Went to it last year was a bust, was just looking at water levels and they seem lower than last year, will anyone else be attending the combat zone on the 24th of this month? Whats your thoughts about the river levels?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Skokomish River Opener

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:55 pm

well its float fishing only til august, we may see the true beginning of bobber snagging or flossing, I'll be at work wishing I was summer run fishing

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:58 am

The lower the water the more them kings have a taste for Corkys under a float it seems. I wish I could make it to the opener, not this year.

BigDee
Petty Officer

Post by BigDee » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:10 am

What should i plan on doing for fishing under a float?? jigs? this is the only lure I have used under a float, so anyone have some better advice?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:38 am

Eggs, or shrimp and eggs. Dang, I should go...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:13 pm

You could use a conehead eggsucking leech streamer or egg pattern fly/ split shots under an indicator (float), i like to scent the chenille with shrimp oil when fishing for salmon. I preffer to swing the fly usually, but if its bobber fishing only, one could nymph them aswell.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:40 pm

I'll be there with my crew. Absolutely love that place. Can't wait to see the tribe tossing heavy trebles up amongst those bobbers, that's certainly going to be a cause for some ruffled feathers.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:52 am

Maybe a stupid question, but where exactly does purdy creek dump into the Skok? Having a hard time finding it on maps on the internet.

kaiserc11
Angler

Post by kaiserc11 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Has anyone seen this new non member fishing regulation license from the tribe? Do you need to buy one to access the river from 101 or purdy cutoff?

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:07 pm

There's always been some sorta native license . If you fish across from the farm on the " native side " it's been something you need to have if standing on the shore .. Key word shore .. If your standing in the water it's open game .So just bring a lawn chair set the chair in the water a few inches deep and use that if you have to set any gear down

kaiserc11
Angler

Post by kaiserc11 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:27 am

Ok thanks for the info I'm new to the area. I was driving by the area the other day and didn't see any signs restricting fishing other than across the farm when it said you entered the reservation. I was planning on getting in along the Purdy Cutoff Rd and wading.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:39 pm

Be careful wading once the chum show the water can get quick and deep from week to week later in the season .. Plan to show up at 3 am and stand on your claim for the day cause it fills up quick bring a head lamp / wool gloves

adolphin
Angler

Post by adolphin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:16 pm

gonnahookit wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but where exactly does purdy creek dump into the Skok? Having a hard time finding it on maps on the internet.
It's just upstream where E Purdy Cutoff Rd, first meets the Skok if you're heading east from 101, or vice versa if you're heading from Hunter Farms.

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Not pertaining to the opener other than be careful where you're at as far as tribal land. I got called out last year fishing for chums by a tribal cop. We were up on Purdy cutoff on the other side. He charged down to the the edge of the river and yelled at us. Evidently my son and I had our gear on tribal land and we had to get it off. He was letting us off with a warning, he said. As long as we were in the water, we were ok he said. I've fished this spot for the last 12 years and never had a problem, nor has anyone else I've seen fish the same area have a problem. I'll likely fish it again this year and see what happens.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

denhambruce
Petty Officer

Post by denhambruce » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:16 am

Anyone else hit the opener besides me? I got there about 8am and was told I had missed whatever bite there was that morning. Didn't see any fish caught or hooked the few hours i was there. Still early in the season

Duwamish Amish
Petty Officer

Post by Duwamish Amish » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:32 am

Didn't looketh any diff'rent than previous open'rs. Pack'd as heck, but at least the gudgeon & game guys wast out in forceth. Leteth's hopeth the same can be said once it opens up to ev'ryone.
Last edited by Duwamish Amish on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amen.

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:28 pm

Any idea what days the nets are in ??

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 am

It's a waste of gas. Found a ton of fish, but it was a two minute limit today, on pinks. By the letter of the law, pinks are open, and you must keep the first two fish you hook. And the pinks are lying all up around those kings. And I know everyone on here is law abiding and won't try to cull them out when it's against the law... Sucks.

Angler

Post by 69 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey I was wondering when the Skokomish river will open this year..? I usually fish by the farm where you have to walk in a forest to get there. Any ideas when this place will be open and will there be alot of fish? :D thank you

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:39 am

69 wrote:Hey I was wondering when the Skokomish river will open this year..? I usually fish by the farm where you have to walk in a forest to get there. Any ideas when this place will be open and will there be alot of fish? :D thank you
I believe parts of it are open now, See post above^