Emergency river closers

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Emergency river closers

Post by c_saeteurn » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:02 pm

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... for-salmon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Your thoughts.....

jd39
Commander

Re: Emergency river closers

Post by jd39 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:34 pm

I think I'd rather have a root canal than listen to anything the WFC has to say and the WDFW should feel the same.
The WDFW should only shut down fisheries based on their own independent findings and conclusions. The WFC is not to be trusted.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:40 pm

I'm not crazy about the WFC's position on most any subject, but they are only pointing out the obvious in this case. I've opted not to pursue resident trout in my local streams and rivers this summer due to the low water levels and higher temps. The fish are stressed enough and I'll gladly sit this season out to secure a future fishery. The WDFW should have done this on their own and got the State to keep folks out of these waters altogether. I can't begin to tell you how many illegal dams/weirs I've helped take down in our local creeks and streams. The majority of people are either clueless or just don't care about the wildlife they are effecting.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:28 pm

I spent the last couple weeks on vacation and exploring some of the higher elevation streams that I like to visit, as well as such lakes.
It really is bad out there. I have a place I go to that is literally the very head waters of the Green river, way up on Stampede pass. Some of the tributary streams that feed this place, were completely dried up. Another place that I visited near Salmon La Sac, as well had extremely low water levels.
Lost lake up on Snoqualmie pass was so low that I almost couldn't find a whole cove that I usually fish. It was just gone!

I don't doubt their information at all.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm with jd39 on this one. WFC is the devil.
WDFW is well aware of the poor conditions. My concern is more that WFC is using this stance to recruit additional unsuspecting folks into their fold by stating the obvious. This is a Kardashian move. WFC wants all hatcheries closed period.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/jul0815a/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:53 am

Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:30 am

jd39 wrote:I think I'd rather have a root canal than listen to anything the WFC has to say and the WDFW should feel the same.
Amen. They burned one too many bridges on the credibility trail. #-o

sinkerswim
Petty Officer

Post by sinkerswim » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 am

G-Man wrote:I'm not crazy about the WFC's position on most any subject, but they are only pointing out the obvious in this case. I've opted not to pursue resident trout in my local streams and rivers this summer due to the low water levels and higher temps. The fish are stressed enough and I'll gladly sit this season out to secure a future fishery. The WDFW should have done this on their own and got the State to keep folks out of these waters altogether. I can't begin to tell you how many illegal dams/weirs I've helped take down in our local creeks and streams. The majority of people are either clueless or just don't care about the wildlife they are effecting.
The fish are stressed enough as it is. Last week the White River was 80 degrees. This is a glacial fed river that doesn't spend any time sitting behind dams warming up and has a pretty good drop, there's not many slow areas on the White.
The Willamette was 80 degrees the other day, Springers were floating down it that hadn't even spawned yet.

And it's only mid July, this is only going to get worse.............

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:00 pm

I should clarify that I do not support closing the entire fishery as suggested by the WFC. The rains will eventually come and the rivers and creeks will rise again, so there really in no justification in closing the marine/tidewater fishery. The free flowing sections of the smaller rivers, creeks and streams are where the real problems lie and should never have been opened for the summer season. It is up to us to police our own resources, so spread the word, a little education of the subject goes a long ways.

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am

sinkerswim wrote:
G-Man wrote:I'm not crazy about the WFC's position on most any subject, but they are only pointing out the obvious in this case. I've opted not to pursue resident trout in my local streams and rivers this summer due to the low water levels and higher temps. The fish are stressed enough and I'll gladly sit this season out to secure a future fishery. The WDFW should have done this on their own and got the State to keep folks out of these waters altogether. I can't begin to tell you how many illegal dams/weirs I've helped take down in our local creeks and streams. The majority of people are either clueless or just don't care about the wildlife they are effecting.
The fish are stressed enough as it is. Last week the White River was 80 degrees. This is a glacial fed river that doesn't spend any time sitting behind dams warming up and has a pretty good drop, there's not many slow areas on the White.
The Willamette was 80 degrees the other day, Springers were floating down it that hadn't even spawned yet.

You don't mean the water temp was 80 degrees do you? I frequently swim in the Carbon Puy and White and I can guarantee you the water was not 80 degrees.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:14 am

Blunatic wrote:
sinkerswim wrote:

You don't mean the water temp was 80 degrees do you? I frequently swim in the Carbon Puy and White and I can guarantee you the water was not 80 degrees.
He might be talking about Oregon.
Our White River has Mud Mountain Dam on it
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:06 am

WFC, isn't that the outfit that closed down Sky Steelhead plants? Disgusting bunch. ODFW is limiting fishing hours "above tidewater" in some rivers which seems a more reasonable approach. For what it is worth, I'm sending an email to WDFW.

ODFW takes action to help native fish

SALEM, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has curtailed fishing hours on most of Oregon’s rivers to avoid additional stress on native fish already suffering from high water temperatures and low stream flows from this year’s drought.

Effective Saturday, July 18, and until further notice, all waterbodies defined as streams in the 2015 Oregon Sportfishing Regulations are closed above tidewater (where applicable) to fishing for trout salmon, steelhead and sturgeon from 2 p.m. to one hour before sunrise. Angling for these species will be prohibited at all times in the Willamette River downstream of Willamette Falls, including the Clackamas River up to the Interstate 205 Bridge, the Multnomah Channel and the Gilbert River. The following sections of the John Day River will also have complete closures: The mainstem of the John Day River above Indian Creek near Prairie City; the Middle Fork of the John Day River above Mosquito Creek near the town of Galena; the North Fork of the John Day River above Desolation Creek and Desolation Creek.

Some streams will remain open for angling under normal hours because they are less prone to high water temperature risks due to springs, tides, cold water releases from some dams and high elevations. reams that will remain open for angling under normal hours are:

Northeast Zone:
· The Wallowa River above Sunrise Road; Lostine River above Pole Bridge Campground; Prairie Creek; Hurricane Creek; Spring Creek; and all streams within the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area.

Southeast Zone:
· The Malheur River and its tributaries; the Owyhee River below the Owyhee Reservoir; and the Blitzen River and its tributaries above Page Springs Weir and Bridge Creek.
· The Klamath River and its tributaries.

Central Zone:
· The Deschutes River above Macks Canyon; the Metolius River; the Fall River; the Crooked River (from mouth to Bowman Dam

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:09 pm

I get an email back from James Unsworth DFW as follows:

Thanks for your email, any closures will be on a case-by-case basis iand I don't anticipate any salt water closures due to water temperature.

Jim

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:39 pm

Could this be enacted in Wa. State? Soon?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Due- ... 97761.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:19 pm

e-mail I just got;

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

July 16, 2015

Contacts:
Region 1, Chris Donley, (509) 892-1001, ext. 307
Region 2, Jeff Korth, (509) 754-4624, ext. 224
Region 3, John Easterbrooks, (509) 457-9330
Region 4, Annette Hoffman, (425) 775-1311, ext. 120
Region 5, Cindy Le Fleur, (360) 696-6211, ext. 6708

Drought conditions prompt fishing
closures, restrictions on numerous rivers

OLYMPIA – State fishery managers are closing or restricting fishing on more than 30 rivers throughout Washington to help protect fish in areas where drought conditions have reduced flows and increased water temperatures.

The closures and restrictions take effect Saturday (July 18) at 12:01 a.m. The changes will remain in effect until further notice.

Fishing will be closed in some waters, and limited in others each day to the hours between midnight and 2 p.m. These “hoot-owl” restrictions will go into effect on rivers where fishery managers want to reduce stress on fish during the hottest time of day.

High water temperatures can be deadly for fish, such as trout, while diminished stream flows can strand migrating salmon and steelhead, said Craig Burley, fish program manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

“With such extreme drought conditions in several areas of the state, we needed to take these steps to help protect vulnerable fish in waters where we have concerns,” Burley said. “We’ll continue monitoring stream conditions throughout Washington this summer and take additional actions if necessary.”

For details on the closures and restrictions, check the emergency regulations, which will be posted tomorrow on WDFW’s webpage at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Fishing closures and restrictions are listed by region below. Today’s action does not include any rivers in Region 6 (South Sound/Olympic Peninsula). However, earlier this summer, the department closed fishing on a section of the Sol Duc River to protect returning chinook during drought conditions.

Region 1 – Eastern Washington

Closed to fishing:

North Fork Touchet River above Spangler Creek.
South Fork Touchet River from the mouth to Griffen Fork and above Griffen Fork.
Wolf Fork Touchet River from the mouth to Coates Creek and Robinson Fork.
Asotin Creek and tributaries (Asotin Co.) from the mouth to headwaters.
Kettle River and all tributaries (Ferry Co.) from the Barstow Bridge to the headwaters, all portions contained within Washington.
Hoot-owl restrictions:

Walla Walla River (Walla Walla Co.) from McDonald Road Bridge to the Oregon State Boundary.
Touchet River (Columbia/Walla Walla Co.) from the mouth to the confluence of the North and South forks.
North Fork Touchet River from the mouth to Spangler Creek.
Tucannon River (Columbia/Garfield Co.) From the Highway 12 Bridge to Cow Camp Bridge.
Spokane River (Spokane/Lincoln Co.) from upstream boundary at Plese Flats Day Use Area to the Idaho State Boundary.
Spokane River tributaries, including Little Spokane River and tributaries (Spokane/Pend Oreille/Stevens Counties) from the State Route 25 Bridge upstream to Monroe Street Dam.
Colville River and all tributaries (Stevens Co.) from the mouth to the headwaters.
Sullivan Creek and all tributaries (Pend Oreille Co.) from the mouth to the headwaters.
Region 2 – North Central Washington

Closed to fishing:

Wenatchee River (Chelan Co.) from the mouth to the Icicle River Road Bridge.
Icicle River (Chelan Co.) from the mouth to 500 feet downstream of the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery Barrier Dam.
Lake Wenatchee (Chelan Co.)
Okanogan River from the Hwy 97 bridge upstream to Zosel Dam, except open to game fish fishing.
Similkameen River from the mouth upstream to Enloe Dam.
Region 3 – South Central Washington

Closed to fishing:

Ahtanum Creek, including the north and middle forks
Little Naches River
Teanaway River, including west, middle and north forks
Hoot-owl restrictions:

Naches River from Tieton River to Bumping River/Little Naches River
Rattlesnake Creek
Region 4 – North Puget Sound

Closed to fishing:

Raging River (King Co.) from the mouth upstream.
Skykomish River (Snohomish Co.) from the mouth upstream closed to all fishing, except the section around Reiter Ponds remains open from the Gold Bar/Big Eddy Access (Hwy. 2 Bridge) upstream to the confluence of the North and South forks.
Wallace River (Snohomish Co.). From the mouth upstream including all tributaries.
Stillaguamish River (Skagit/Snohomish Co.) From Marine Drive upstream including the North and South forks and all tributaries.
South Fork Nooksack (Whatcom Co.) From the mouth to Skookum Creek, and from Wanlick Creek to headwaters including Wanlick and all tributaries.
Suiattle River (Skagit Co.) Tributaries Buck, Downey and Sulpher Creeks.
Hoot-owl restrictions:

North Fork Skykomish River (Snohomish Co.) From the mouth upstream including all tributaries.
South Fork Skykomish River (Snohomish/King Co.) From Sunset Falls upstream and all tributaries, including the Beckler, Foss, Miller and Rapid rivers and their tributaries.
Sauk River (Skagit/Snohomish Co.) Above the Suiattle River including the North Fork to the falls and the South Fork to headwaters.
Samish River (Skagit Co.) From I-5 to headwaters, and Friday Creek upstream.
Region 5 – Southwest Washington

Closed to fishing:

East Fork Lewis River from Lewisville Park downstream.
Washougal River from Mt. Norway Bridge downstream.
Hoot-owl restrictions:

East Fork Lewis River from Lewisville Park upstream.
Washougal River from Mt. Norway Bridge upstream.
WDFW has also closed fishing for spring chinook on the Grande Ronde River in eastern Washington due to low river flows.

For more information about drought’s impact on fish and wildlife, visit WDFW’s drought webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/drought/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been sent to the WDFW All Information mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To UNSUBSCRIBE from this mailing list: http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/unsubscribe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Just popped up on there website to

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Toni wrote:
Blunatic wrote: You don't mean the water temp was 80 degrees do you? I frequently swim in the Carbon Puy and White and I can guarantee you the water was not 80 degrees.
He might be talking about Oregon.
Our White River has Mud Mountain Dam on it
Totally my bad, good catch Toni!

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Must be pretty bad when Lake Wenatchee is now a river.

gonnahookit
Lieutenant

Post by gonnahookit » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:16 pm

South sound rivers are gonna be a crowded nightmare this summer.

Duwamish Amish
Petty Officer

Post by Duwamish Amish » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Snohomish is still openeth, so I doubteth all those n'rth soundeth angl'rs art gonna flock south.
Last edited by Duwamish Amish on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amen.