Whitefish

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
gpc
Admiral

Whitefish

Post by gpc » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:55 am

I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever targeted them before. I have never caught one or even fished for them. The season opened up on December 1st and there is a 15 fish limit for them. I heard they are in the green but have not been able to prove it, are they?. They Tye river is another place I am interested in fishing for them, but any river/ creek will work. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

littleriver
Commander

RE:Whitefish

Post by littleriver » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:33 am

I've caught the odd one over the years. I'm forgetting my source but I read a few weeks back that WDFW is considering changing some rules around to encourage harvest of abundant whitefish stocks on the upper cowlitz and the cispus river. But, in my mind, whitefish have always been an eastern washington kind of fishery. Lots of them in the Yakima between selah and ellensburg and in the columbia below Priest Rapids dam. Enough, anyways, that they have attracted some sporties to work for them over the years and learn the best ways to catch them.

My conversations with some of these individuals would lead me to recommend "maggots" as the best bait. One sporty that I talked to even said that the maggots work best when they are warm and wiggly. He added that he keeps them warm by popping them behind his lower lip before putting them on the hook. Not sure if he was pulling my leg on that suggestion but it's definitely one that I will never follow.

Whitefish are good winter fish because they tend to school in the pools and slow water of the river when the water gets really cold. Just get the maggot down near the bottom of the pool and if there are any whitefish there you will catch one fairly quickly.

All the whitefish I've caught in this state were incidental and caught on worms. I've cooked a few up and though the meat has always been white I've also found it to be bony and to have kind of a "muddy" flavor to it.

If you go to any good fish market back east (i.e. New York State, Ohio, etc., etc.) you will always find a product called "smoked whitefish". These whitefish are related to our mountain whitefish but they are "lake whitefish", mostly from the hays river area south of Great Slave lake in the Northwest Territories. Lake whitefish can get up to 25 pounds. I've caught them out of great slave lake but the largest was about 4 pounds. Inuit and Cree tribal members there have learned how to catch them and smoke them very lightly so they are very marketable and tasty and the meat fetches a good price. They move tons of it every year into our nation's food distribution system.

Based on that knowledge, I think the next time I catch one I'm going to try brining and smoking it.
Fish doesn't smell "fishy" because it's fish. Fish smells "fishy" when it's rotten.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:35 pm

my buddy just caught one the green by flaming geyser drifting a corky and yarn. this was the weekend before the flooding.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:00 pm

I've caught a ton of them in Wyoming when fishing with spinners/spoons for trout....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

jmay
Lieutenant

Post by jmay » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 am

I used to catch them all the time as a kid on the East slopes of the Cascade. The best way to catch them is with Salmon eggs (or pattern if in a Fly ownly area) with a size 10 hook. They have a small mouth and don't bite like a trout. Its more of a sucking feeling. Give them a couple of tugs before trying to set the hook. It your bait/fly is not bounching off the bottom you need more weight.

Also if you catch one in a hole, there will be at least 3 more in there.

michaelunbewust
Commander

Post by michaelunbewust » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 am

if it is big lake whitefish, a not so well known spot is the lower end of Scootney res. between othello and connell (wasteway spills into lower res.). tons of them in there. sometimes cant get the perch to bite because big school will just park right below spillway. i never did cook any of them. gave them to some asian co-workers (they loved them)!

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:49 pm

I'm pretty sure I caught one in the Columbia River by Wenatchee....unless it was some type of carp.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:53 pm

Ive only caughten 1 in my life and it was in Alaska. Fishing for salmon and accidentally snagged it with a fly. Released barely harmed, snagged in tail.

If in doubt set the hook!

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:45 pm

If you want to catch white fish around here now the best time of the year. They seem to school up just below the rapids in a river during the cold winter days. I may be mistaken but I think they are in the “spawn.” In my younger years I would catch them consistently on the "Puyallup." When I grew tired of fishing for "Stealhead" I would finish my day catching white fish. Just find some backwater and fish them with maggots or eggs with a small hook just of the bottom. A good hole will hold a dozen or more. Good luck.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:26 pm

I am also interested in trying for some Whitefish. I am curious if anyone has fished the White River for them, and if anyone knows where Weyerhaeuser 6000 rd. Bridge (bridge camp) is, the start of the open Whitefish water. Thanks!

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:39 pm

The green has, or at least used to have whitefish when my dad fished for steelhead their. Do whitefish eat salmon/trout/steelhead eggs and smolt? Are whitefish very good as far as eating quality? What about fighting ability? thanks :)

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:54 pm

The Carbon river has whitefish. I took apicture of what was in the stomach so you know what to use.
Attachments
copy_12-24-07_003.jpg
copy_12-24-07_003.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
copy12-24-07_007.jpg
copy12-24-07_007.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:48 pm

All right thanks Toni. What are those little black things? I cant tell if they are a larva of some type or just little twigs. That is one ugly fish though lol. Maybe just because the mouth reminds me of a carp. But I never would have guessed that they are realated to trout/salmon, they look more like a trash fish than anything. Did you eat it? I heard they dont taste too bad

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:11 am

gpc wrote:All right thanks Toni. What are those little black things? I cant tell if they are a larva of some type or just little twigs. That is one ugly fish though lol. Maybe just because the mouth reminds me of a carp. But I never would have guessed that they are realated to trout/salmon, they look more like a trash fish than anything. Did you eat it? I heard they dont taste too bad
I did eat it. Baked with lemon pepper and salt. It was alright, tasted like trout to me. I would rather eat it smoked. That is how I perfer trout. It has large scales.
I think the twig like things were small periwinkles. They had very small rocks and fir needles like things. The eggs were different sizes and all seperate. They were at different stages of hardness in the outer skin but liquid inside. I thought at first the eggs might be artifical but they weren't.
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:31 am

IN the midwest they are quite popular smoked.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:34 pm

i've done alot of snorkling on the natches, and yakima, looking at what fish ar holding where. the natches has a large pop. of whites the yakima has a good pop. but there are alot more pike minnows and peamouths in the selah to prosser in this part of the river, haven't looked at whats in the upper part but it should hold better numbers. i was amazed at how big the whites are in the natches many looked to be 20-24in. i,ve caught them 12-14in. in this system. and they can be hard to catch maggots help but perry winkles work great. haven't had any time to do any fishing yet but i do plan on seeing if those big white are in those holes i've been checking last summer. a few chowder recipies i'm want to check out. they taste better during the cold months. <'(//<

FISHKILLER
Petty Officer

Post by FISHKILLER » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:00 pm

Mike Carey wrote:IN the midwest they are quite popular smoked.
That's the only way I would try them, I have heard they taste horrible.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:47 pm

The one I cooked up tasted like trout to me. I prefer trout smoked.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:24 pm

I have caught a lot of pretty nice sized ones by accident from the Cle Elum River while fishing for trout in the summer time with a rooster tail spinner. I heard that the Wenatchee River is a productive place for them in the winter time. I tried fishing the Wenatchee for them last winter with my girlfriend and had no luck, I think partially because I had never targeted them before and didn't know the river and also half of the river was frozen over with big chunks of ice floating down the open areas.

Another spot to try closer to home may be the Snoqualmie River where the Tolt River runs in. I am not sure on the rules for whitefish here, but I used to fish for winter run steelhead there every once and awhile and there were always guys down there targeting whitefish. Every time I was there guys would have 5 gallon buckets full of them. They used what looked like maggots, mini jigs, and also small flies.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:42 pm

I target Whitefish when Steelheading slow down.They seem to like it where smaller streams dump into larger streams.I use maggots on small egg hooks.Also white rice (cooked )work ok.Smoked Whitefish are excellent.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.