Rufus Pics

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Rufus Pics

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:53 pm

I personally think the trips out of Rufus are some of the best tasting fish bar none. They get up to fighting size before escape then they eat all the good wild food available. I've eaten them straight from the ponds ( a friend has a connection with the operators) and they taste like pen reared fish but the ones in the wild are awsome! Big slabs of heaven.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:57 pm

northfork wrote::chef:
HELP!!!
Don't know what went wrong, but this is the worst tasting smoked fish I have ever done.
Anyone want to take some of this off my hands?
This offer does not include Sam, He doesn't like the taste of triploids. j/k
You're kidding, right? If you can't make it taste good, nobody can.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Looks good. Smoked trout is surprisingly good....Many have never tasted it before, and many prefer it over smoked salmon...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Bodofish wrote:I personally think the trips out of Rufus are some of the best tasting fish bar none. They get up to fighting size before escape then they eat all the good wild food available. I've eaten them straight from the ponds ( a friend has a connection with the operators) and they taste like pen reared fish but the ones in the wild are awsome! Big slabs of heaven.
I've never had smoked trout. BBQ, oven, stove, but never into the smoker for our trout. We have an old smoker, we might fire it up sometime soon.

Hey bodofish, where ya been man? Welcome back.

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:06 pm

Smoked trout is excellent, it was some of the best tasting smoked fish I ever had, never had the chance to eat smoked spring steelhead before but I heard its even better.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:59 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:
HELP!!!
Don't know what went wrong, but this is the worst tasting smoked fish I have ever done.
HG- Actually the friends that got to sample it said it was the best smoked fish that they had gotten from me.
I've smoked over 100# of fish this last year. Can't seem to keep any around the house, as soon as the smoker is done there are people stopping by wanting to buy everything I've got smoked up.

I owe you one for the jigs you gave me. Maybe we can meet up this weekend and I'll give you a sample:chef:

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:56 pm

northfork wrote:
HillbillyGeek wrote:
HELP!!!
HG- Actually the friends that got to sample it said it was the best smoked fish that they had gotten from me.
I've smoked over 100# of fish this last year. Can't seem to keep any around the house, as soon as the smoker is done there are people stopping by wanting to buy everything I've got smoked up.

I owe you one for the jigs you gave me. Maybe we can meet up this weekend and I'll give you a sample:chef:
That sounds great! I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:00 am

HG- will be working in Monroe in the morning but will be around in the afternoon

trout slayer
Petty Officer

Post by trout slayer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:03 pm

i have caught thousands of fish throughout the years i grew up on the umpqua river in sothern oregon. but the best tout i have ever eaten was from rufus woods the fat content is so high they are the best smoked fish i have made or tried. most people love the bellys and fins because the oil and fat gives it the great tast. these fish are so good to eat. as for sam i dont know if its just these trips from rufus but what i have tried they are awsome and i have had every kind of fish you can think of these will blow native salmon/steelhead out of the water... maybe the lakes you fish in have a lot of pollution wich will make them taste nasty. i took some fish home from mineral lake last year all were german browns and those were the worst fish i have ever had hands down...i will never keep another fish from mineral ever..:thumleft:
10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:
northfork wrote:
HillbillyGeek wrote: You're kidding, right? If you can't make it taste good, nobody can.

That sounds great! I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Thanks again for the smoked fish Bill -- it is (was) awesome! In fact, it's the best I've ever tasted! You've really got fish smoking down to a science.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:19 am

:-({|=
Well today is the last of the smoking from the trip to Rufus.
Today is the belly strips. This is where alot of the fat is located in these triploids and there are no bones.
This is the best of the best but requires alot of paper towels to eat it.
Will post a couple pics before and after the smoker.
No samples from this batch.:chef:

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:59 am

That looks really good northfork. Nice job on the quality smoke. I'm jealous that I can't sample the goods.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:54 pm

:chef:
Well here is the last of the triploids, belly candy.
When you pick these up the oil just drips from them, but melts in your mouth.
Attachments
After_Small.JPG
After_Small.JPG (78.74 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (111.77 KiB) Viewed 1796 times

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:14 pm

iPodrodder wrote:
Bodofish wrote:I personally think the trips out of Rufus are some of the best tasting fish bar none. They get up to fighting size before escape then they eat all the good wild food available. I've eaten them straight from the ponds ( a friend has a connection with the operators) and they taste like pen reared fish but the ones in the wild are awsome! Big slabs of heaven.
I've never had smoked trout. BBQ, oven, stove, but never into the smoker for our trout. We have an old smoker, we might fire it up sometime soon.

working for a jerk and not much time off. I've rectified the problem. Hitting Rufus this weekend. I'll be drifing by the pens.........:sunny:
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:19 pm

Don't forget to bring some black jigs or black flies, have fun I know I did.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Bodofish wrote:
iPodrodder wrote:

working for a jerk and not much time off. I've rectified the problem. Hitting Rufus this weekend. I'll be drifing by the pens.........:sunny:
Ah. The caveman with rock way?

Glad you fixed your problem.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:33 pm

northfork wrote:Don't forget to bring some black jigs or black flies, have fun I know I did.
yeah I started to tie my own this summer. I've been tying up a storm. Mainly jigs as that's the kind of fishing I do but I've been getting to some buggers lately. Kind of started out with pink and white then on to purple and white then pink and purple then started to work the black in as the season progressed. Did pretty good on silvers on the Sno and Skagit and had a blast with Chums on the upper skagit one day, must have caught 20 or 30. Stopped counting a 15. what a blast, c&r.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 am

Good Luck, we will all be waiting for a report when you get back, AND PICS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:44 pm

Well It was a fun trip. Ranged from +5 to +17 and we had everything from sun to snowing sideways and 20' vis. But for those who must fish we did. OK the boat is covered and heated but ya still have to go outside to fish. My buddy Swede got the big fish of the day, 13+ pounder. My babies at 5 and 7. Cught mine after the blizzard started so anything over about 4#'s was going to work. It was brutal but fun. Enjoy the pics.
I'm sharing this with the forum the report will get the short story.
Attachments
rufus__067a.jpg
rufus__067a.jpg (36.79 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
rufus__065a.jpg
rufus__065a.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
rufus_1-26_4a.JPG
rufus_1-26_4a.JPG (67.38 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
rufus__054a.jpg
rufus__054a.jpg (46.64 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
rufus__036a.jpg
rufus__036a.jpg (33.33 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
rufus__029a.jpg
rufus__029a.jpg (38.19 KiB) Viewed 1700 times
rufus__021a.jpg
rufus__021a.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
rufus__145a.jpg
rufus__145a.jpg (42.57 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 pm

:cheers:
Right on man!!!!!!!
Nice fish.
So what did you catch them on.
C'mon fess up.