Plunking with crankbait?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
tnguyen5791
Angler

Plunking with crankbait?

Post by tnguyen5791 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:17 pm

Hi all,

The other day I tried creek fishing for trout and salmon using basic plunking for one rod and rapala for another. The plunking is fine, though the rapala keeps getting washed up the bank due to the strong current, so i thought about replacing the plunking rig with the rapala. Caught a nice sockeye with it, though it seems like sheer luck to me. Anyone ever tried or mastered this concept? I mean it's kinda like trolling except the crankbait stays in one spot and does not look like a wounded minnow at all. [confused]

W4y
Petty Officer

Re: Plunking with crankbait?

Post by W4y » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:39 pm

I guess anything to piss off the salmon...may not work for trout.

jonb
Commander

Re: Plunking with crankbait?

Post by jonb » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Plunking with plugs is fairly common, but usually not rapalas, usually they(people ive seen do this) are plunking flatfish and other similar style plugs, this technique is used to target steelhead and salmon.
For trout fishing i love fishing rapalas on lakes, my expirience for river fishing rapalas (in wa state) is limited. I bet they slay salmon trolled or plunked deppending which one your using. Im a hardware chucker for salmon, blue fox, dick nites, and twitch jigs. Except coho. Then its an eggsucking leech swung on a fly rod. im no expert on the river plug thing...
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.