I saw the new regs are out online....

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Blunatic
Petty Officer

I saw the new regs are out online....

Post by Blunatic » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:14 pm

I don't see anything mentioned about the earlier proposed 4 foot leader rule for the Puyallup. Does anyone know if that rule passed?

(FYI I am a previous member but lost all of my account info and had to re-register. )

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Re: I saw the new regs are out online....

Post by Diverdoyle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:19 pm

nothing for the puyallup but man skokomish got funky quick

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am

Looks like some boots might be going home...

SKOKOMISH RIVER (Mason Co.) CLOSED WATERS - the free flowing waters of the Skokomish River downstream (north) of the City of Tacoma PUD overhead transfer powerlines. See page 124 for mouth closure.
from Tacoma powerlines to Hwy. 106
Bridge
(834)
ALL SPECIES - Aug. 1-Nov. 30: night closure, anti-snagging rule, and single-point barbless hooks required. Sept. 15-Dec. 15: terminal gear (hooks, weights, lures, or baits) and line must not be within 25' of tribal gillnets.
We each must clean up after ourselves and pets. Refer to Human and Pet Waste Advisory (page 5).
All Game Fish First Sat. in June-July 13 Catch-and-release.
All Game Fish July 14-Sept. 30: CLOSED.
All Game Fish Oct. 1-Dec. 15 Catch-and-release.
SALMON Aug. 1-Sept. 1 Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Anglers must retain the first 2 salmon, if
legal to do so, and stop fishing. Release CHUM and wild CHINOOK.

SALMON Sept. 15-Dec. 15 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 4 adults may be retained. Release
CHINOOK. Sept. 15-Oct. 15: release CHUM.
from Hwy. 106 Bridge to Purdy Creek
(834)
ALL SPECIES - July 24-July 31: bait or lure must be suspended below a float. July 24-Nov. 30: night closure,
anti-snagging rule, and single-point barbless hooks required. Sept. 15-Dec. 15: Terminal gear (hooks, weights,
lures, or baits) and line must not be within 25' of tribal gillnets. We each must clean up after ourselves and
pets. Refer to Human and Pet Waste Advisory (page 5).
SALMON July 24-Sept. 1 Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Anglers must retain the first 2 salmon, if

Aug. 3-Aug. 21: CLOSED Monday-Thursday each week.
SALMON Sept. 15-Dec. 15 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 4 adults may be retained. Release
CHINOOK. Sept. 15-Oct. 15: release CHUM.
from Purdy Creek to Hwy. 101 Bridge
(834)
ALL SPECIES - July 24-Sept. 1: bait or lure must be suspended below a float. July 24-Nov. 30: night closure,
anti-snagging rule, and single-point barbless hooks required. Sept. 15-Dec. 15: Terminal gear (hooks, weights,
lures, or baits) and line must not be within 25' of tribal gillnets. We each must clean up after ourselves and
pets. Refer to Human and Pet Waste Advisory (page 5).
SALMON July 24-Sept. 1 Min. size 12". Daily limit 2. Anglers must retain the first 2 salmon, if
CHINOOK. Sept. 15-Oct. 15: release CHUM

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 am

the retain first 2 has been there for a while at least a few years but the big thing being " bait or lure must be suspended below a float " is going to be a circus now . Im glad to see some sorta change happen

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:31 am

I went to a WDFW public meeting about 3 years ago where some of these regulations were voiced by the sports fishers in the audience about the Skok.
If a person speaks up in a reasonable fashion they do listen and consider.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

adolphin
Angler

Post by adolphin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:31 pm

I don't care what the law says, I'm not taking home a boot. Wasting fish is worse crime IMO.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:18 am

Diverdoyle wrote:the retain first 2 has been there for a while at least a few years but the big thing being " bait or lure must be suspended below a float " is going to be a circus now . Im glad to see some sorta change happen
Is the rule for retaining the first two fish caught, in response to those targeting female fish for there eggs?

Diverdoyle
Petty Officer

Post by Diverdoyle » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:56 am

It's cause locals on the river tend to toss bare 5/0-7/0 hooks and 1 oz cannon balls do a 5 - 10 second count down then rip reel in and repeat ... There's a native land side of the river and a non native side with different fishing styles and regulations so It's a nightmare for law enforcement to enforce anti snagging

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Diverdoyle wrote:It's cause locals on the river tend to toss bare 5/0-7/0 hooks and 1 oz cannon balls do a 5 - 10 second count down then rip reel in and repeat ... There's a native land side of the river and a non native side with different fishing styles and regulations so It's a nightmare for law enforcement to enforce anti snagging
I understand how changing the rule to " bait or lure must be suspended below a float " would make a fish snagger stand out even more on the water. And, make it easier to enforce the no snag rule on that half of the river it is illegal. But keeping the first two fish, how does that affect a fish snagger? I mean, if they are fishing illegally in the first place, why would there moral compass suddenly kick in and only keep the first two? I would hope it would........how likely is that?

I was just curious if perhaps "keeping the first two that were caught" rule is "also" focused at those that waste the resource by catching and releasing until a limit of Female fish were retained for eggs?

Duwamish Amish
Petty Officer

Post by Duwamish Amish » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:56 am

A few years backeth when the first two gudgeon ruleth was implemented, the reasoning they print'd in the regs was to cuteth down on crowding.
Last edited by Duwamish Amish on Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amen.

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:05 am

Duwamish Amish wrote:A few years back when the first two fish rule was implemented, the reasoning they printed in the regs was to cut down on crowding.
If they want to cut down on crowding and maybe some fights they should implement a law that requires 8 foot 6 inch distance between fishermen! [biggrin]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:16 pm

its mainly for the snaggers so they get there two and leave and the bait guys for when they get jacks they have to keep them, but some how all my jacks just happen to be natives

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Been to the skok once. Hated how everybody fished so never went back.

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:09 pm

Hey Just reading through the regs myself. Is it me or did I miss something on the Duwamish? The picture is super confusing. Is the shaded area part of the "8" or something different? Did something happen with that river/tribe?

Blunatic
Petty Officer

Post by Blunatic » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:00 am

tlang wrote:Hey Just reading through the regs myself. Is it me or did I miss something on the Duwamish? The picture is super confusing. Is the shaded area part of the "8" or something different? Did something happen with that river/tribe?
I looked at that, I think the shaded area is part of the 8 but the little picture to the side just has the "8" placed outside of the cut off line.

tlang
Petty Officer

Post by tlang » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am

That makes sense. But I heard a random rumor that the tribe won some court case, and therefore regular sport anglers wouldnt be able to fish the river. Maybe this is just one of those rumors that comes up every now and then? I hope so