what size kicker for hanford reach type water

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
justinspotanske
Angler

what size kicker for hanford reach type water

Post by justinspotanske » Mon May 04, 2015 9:58 pm

I have a 93 raider osprey 18 ft aluminum boat with a yamaha v4 115hp main. What would be a good kick er size that would do hanford ok. All other fishing will be lake so hanford is the fastest water it would see . I have a great chance at a yamaha 8hp . Would that be enough to gain headway going against the current

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: what size kicker for hanford reach type water

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:17 am

Ah the Reach. Most of the time the flows are managable thru that stretch of the river. I have an 8 HP on my 20' Customweld and it does fine, sometimes I do wish I had a little more power. I think an 8hp will be fine on your set up. Just make sure your main is running good and starts quick in case you ever get in a jam!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 05, 2015 12:21 pm

If you want to get anywhere, I'd say at least 9.9 regular kicker. You would have no trouble tolling with a 6 or 8 hp in the high thrust config. On the river, more is always better. You can always throttle down but once you're at full throttle, there aint no more!
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue May 05, 2015 2:36 pm

If the motor you are looking at is a High Thrust model, it should be up to the task. If it isn't, check to see if it can take something like the Solas Amita 4 bladed 5 pitch model. I put one on my 8HP Johnson to push around my 18.5' Raider, made a big difference.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 06, 2015 8:43 am

G-Man wrote:If the motor you are looking at is a High Thrust model, it should be up to the task. If it isn't, check to see if it can take something like the Solas Amita 4 bladed 5 pitch model. I put one on my 8HP Johnson to push around my 18.5' Raider, made a big difference.
I've been thinking about one of those for a long time. Did you put a 10 or a 9.25 on it? I've also been thinking of upgrading the old 9.9 prop on the crab boat. it's bumped the tracks a few times.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

C-money
Angler

Post by C-money » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:27 am

I run a 8hp Mercury on my boat and it does just fine on the reach. The 8hp should work great for you as well. Did you end up getting it?
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!