Non Ethanol users?

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Non Ethanol users?

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:02 pm

Yamaha says their motors - and most others - have been ethanol tolerant since the late 1980s. However, there are still many very bad side effects from running ethanol fuels. There are similar statements on other mfgs sites.

I only use E0.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resour ... nol-topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:33 am

One last comment, do not switch back and forth between ethanol and non-ethanol. Pick one and use it - always. Stabilize your choice at the time it goes in the tank - always. You can induce fuel system problems by switching back and forth between the two due to the cleaning properties of ethanol.

To reiterate my earlier comment, motors may be ethanol compliant, but boat fuel systems, including portable tank fuel lines/bulbs, may not. If using ethanol, make certain your fuel supply system from tank to motor is certified for ethanol use and upgrade if necessary. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:10 pm

There is so much information and misinformation on Ethanol. The link you posted Yamaha sez it is E10 tolerant but number 14 sez "if at all possible don't use E10." What?

I agree, after all the garbage I've seen, I just figured it is safer to just use E0, a little more hassle but apparently worth it. I just wish there were a lot more stations carrying it. But the government prob thinks that if E0 was more available nobody would use E10.
Larry3215 wrote:Yamaha says their motors - and most others - have been ethanol tolerant since the late 1980s. However, there are still many very bad side effects from running ethanol fuels. There are similar statements on other mfgs sites.

I only use E0.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resour ... nol-topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:32 pm

hewesfisher wrote:One last comment, do not switch back and forth between ethanol and non-ethanol. Pick one and use it - always. Stabilize your choice at the time it goes in the tank - always. You can induce fuel system problems by switching back and forth between the two due to the cleaning properties of ethanol.

To reiterate my earlier comment, motors may be ethanol compliant, but boat fuel systems, including portable tank fuel lines/bulbs, may not. If using ethanol, make certain your fuel supply system from tank to motor is certified for ethanol use and upgrade if necessary. [wink]
Thats exactly what Yamaha says as well.
by BARCHASER » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:10 pm
There is so much information and misinformation on Ethanol. The link you posted Yamaha sez it is E10 tolerant but number 14 sez "if at all possible don't use E10." What?
The point hewesfisher makes agrees with Yamaha's statements. What most people do is focus on one aspect of ethanol use and forget the rest.

Its not just the motor you have to worry about or just the hoses or just the phase changing or just the clogged fuel ports from the cleaning action or, or etc. Ethanol has a number of bad side effects even if the motor itself happens to be ethanol tolerant it can still be severely damaged by the other things.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 pm

I was making some summer fishing resers today at Sekiu. For those interested, Olsons Resort at Sekiu is going to install two new pumps, one on the dock, and one on land. She said both will have non Ethanol. These will be installed in May. Good news for me and anybody who fishes the west end of the Strait and uses E0.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:12 am

BARCHASER wrote:I was making some summer fishing resers today at Sekiu. For those interested, Olsons Resort at Sekiu is going to install two new pumps, one on the dock, and one on land. She said both will have non Ethanol. These will be installed in May. Good news for me and anybody who fishes the west end of the Strait and uses E0.
had to take the tanks over to clallam the last few times, this is so much better. liking the improvements the new owners are planning. [wub]

eightballsaul
Petty Officer

Post by eightballsaul » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I run EO in my 115 Mercury. If I can't get it i always have a bottle of Stabil or some other product to dump into the tank. Works great and is great for storage also. I run Stabil in all of my gas powered engines. Lawnmowers etc. Never had a problem with the boat and when it come tune up time, my technicians never have anything bad to say.

Blind Squirrel
Petty Officer

Post by Blind Squirrel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:41 pm

I wish there was a station near West Seattle. If I want the E0 I have to pull my boat to north Seattle and even with good traffic it's over an hour there and back with a fill up. I wish I could use Pacific Pride in Burien, but I'm pretty sure you need a commercial card for that.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:22 pm

I was thinking about getting a card myself. Masco Petroleum has an on line app for a credit card that will work at Pacific Pride it says. Click on the right.

http://mascopetroleum.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blind Squirrel
Petty Officer

Post by Blind Squirrel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:23 pm

That's for commercial fleet vehicles only though. I don't thing my two boat fleet would qualify, haha.

Blind Squirrel
Petty Officer

Post by Blind Squirrel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:26 pm

I do see, now that I opened the application, the individual application area. That would sure be nice if it worked.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Good luck, make a post if it works! Thanks.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:18 pm

The pacific pride in gig harbor will let me fill my boat - but they give me a dirty look. Im lucky and have other options close by.