CARP! The official 2014 carp thread

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: CARP! The official 2014 carp thread

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Not jerky, traditional smoke. Really, not bad as I recall.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Lunker101
Petty Officer

Post by Lunker101 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:49 pm

My wife is Russian and they love carp. They just fry it up in a wok and it is actually very tasty fish. The one drawback is that Carp have a ton of bones in them and in the end you spend more time picking bones than actually eating. Still very tasty fish, just hard to enjoy with all the bones.

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:48 pm

I agree, not enough pics in this thread. Here's one I caught last June @ Newman Lake. They are plentiful there, and you can 2-pole there! so set the Carp rig and fish for bass until you hear the clicker! FUN!
Attachments
Carp2014.JPG
Newman Lake Carp

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:57 pm

Lunker101 wrote:My wife is Russian and they love carp. They just fry it up in a wok and it is actually very tasty fish. The one drawback is that Carp have a ton of bones in them and in the end you spend more time picking bones than actually eating. Still very tasty fish, just hard to enjoy with all the bones.
I'll eat almost anything. Had rat in Belize, one time.
If I learned anything from the Army, it was that with the right hot sauce you can make anything pretty good.

My only disqualifier is such an extreme muck dwelling fish as a carp, I would at least care a little about the water source it came from.

wlai
Petty Officer

Post by wlai » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Doesn't catfish muck ruck just as much as carp?
Last edited by wlai on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weekend-warrior17
Warrant Officer

Post by Weekend-warrior17 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 pm

wlai wrote:Doesn't catfishes muck ruck just as much as carps?
Haaaa, noooo if you ever watch a carp out on the flats feeding you'll probally have a new definition for Muck Ruckin' . They can tear up some habit in a hurry. Think of what a Wild Boar (Pig) can do to a perfectly groomed cow pasture , that is what a carp does to a bass spawing flat. Most breeds of Catfish are more predators than scavengers going after wounded shad, creek chub and shiners more than chicken liver and earth worms like most people think of first. Think about their more natural food source, carp syphon threw the contaminated earth material when feeding and Catfish may just pick threw it here and there. Doesn't mean go out and and eat a catfish out of the sewer.