Rufus Pics

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
HillbillyGeek
Captain

RE:Rufus Pics

Post by HillbillyGeek » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:53 pm

Walleye are very tasty. I like them almost as much as yellow perch. :chef:
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:12 pm

hey so what does someone use to catch rufus triploids from the bank??

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 pm

colton wrote:hey so what does someone use to catch rufus triploids from the bank??
Worms with marshmallows, powerbait, shrimp, occasionally corn, well almost any traditional bait.

Check out the reports for Rufus Woods and you will see a lot of good information.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm

I've also read in the reports that longer leaders are doing better...7' or so in some of the reports is what I've heard...If you go out there, you'll probably be with some other folks, so follow what they are doing and you'll probably hook into some fish..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:52 pm

colton- Rufus has a 2 fish any size limit per day. If you use bait the first 2 fish you catch are what you get to keep, whether you release them or not 2 fish and your done for the day.
The reservation wardens sit back up hill and watch through binocs. When they see someone exceed the 2 fish limit they drive down and issue a $500 ticket.
It's Tribal land so there is no court or judge.
I always start with fishing 1/4 oz black jigs. you can CnR with jigs.
If I don't have any luck, at the end of the day I will switch to bait and take whatever gets hooked.
A 5 hour drive to maybe catch 2 small triploids isn't worth the time or the gas.
Attachments
Black_Rabbit_Small.JPG
Black_Rabbit_Small.JPG (26.27 KiB) Viewed 1971 times

colton
Petty Officer

Post by colton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:08 pm

alright. thanks for the information. much needed. but what is considered bait or not. i know this might be in the regs but do you know??

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:37 pm

northfork wrote:Tried to post some pics in the report but couldn't get it to work. So I will try here. My 2 went 7#7oz and 8#8oz, the guy next to me caught that 10# + pig.
That is one sweet fish! Congrats on your success and bucking it up in that cold weather over there. I am envious of those that were able to make it over there, as I was stuck here in Kirkland. Great job, and keep those posts coming if you continue to fish Rufus. Maybe someday my dream will come true...until then! Thanks for your pictures!

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:52 am

colton wrote:alright. thanks for the information. much needed. but what is considered bait or not. i know this might be in the regs but do you know??
Hey Colton, the way the regs read is that if it has scent or taste it is bait. I am not sure if the indians use the same rules or not.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:00 am

The Reservation has the same regs as the State.

ndn
Petty Officer

Post by ndn » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Northfork,do You use a bobber to keep the black jig off the bottom?
ndn

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:52 pm

I think you don't use a bobber and just twitch the jig back in after casting it out...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Those are some NICE fish.

The trips from Rufus woods are EXCELLENT. You have to remeber that they are mostly net pen escapes and they were being raised to sell to the public so they get a really healthy diet. The trips from there were the best fish I had eaten all year, and I have been eating pinks, chums, kings and silvers since last july. And the native fish blew them out of the water.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:22 pm

sure looks yummy. :-)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:51 pm

gpc wrote:Those are some NICE fish.

The trips from Rufus woods are EXCELLENT. You have to remeber that they are mostly net pen escapes and they were being raised to sell to the public so they get a really healthy diet. The trips from there were the best fish I had eaten all year, and I have been eating pinks, chums, kings and silvers since last july. And the native fish blew them out of the water.
Most of the trips caught now are not recent escapes, but released per agreement to improve fishing. There will be more in the future that way.

The trips are released at a fairly young age.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:29 pm

ndn- no bobber, just let the jig tick the bottom, if it stops set the hook!
I'm tying up some unweighted black jigs. I'm going to try fishing it steelhead style, black fly, black corkie 6' behind a pencil lead bouncing bottom. Will see how that works the end of Feb.

Anglinarcher- Last summer some idiot tied his boat up to the net pens and when he went to leave his prop was caught in the net. Ripped it open and all those tiny fish escaped. Thank god for idiots.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Joe Heater wrote:I know Hal has pics of him with Walleye at Rufus Woods but I think there is a witness that will testify that he caught them at Banks Lake and just took pics of them at RW. If you guys are looking for a good smallmouth fisherman, that Hal is your guy. He isn't much for walleyes though.

But I still dont think there are walleye in Rufus Woods. Are you all sure about that?
Joe, there are walleye in Rufus Woods. Feel free to check the US Army Corps of Engineers web site, the F & W fishing opportunities booklet, or some of the past reports.

The upper end, near and above the net pens, have a longer season than the lower end. The lower end usually does not really turn on until late April or even later.

But................there are Walleye in Rufus, and some monsters below the dam as well.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:31 pm

northfork wrote:ndn- no bobber, just let the jig tick the bottom, if it stops set the hook!
I'm tying up some unweighted black jigs. I'm going to try fishing it steelhead style, black fly, black corkie 6' behind a pencil lead bouncing bottom. Will see how that works the end of Feb.

Anglinarcher- Last summer some idiot tied his boat up to the net pens and when he went to leave his prop was caught in the net. Ripped it open and all those tiny fish escaped. Thank god for idiots.
Actually, I heard that story about two years ago. If it did happen last year, well, ok. Nevertheless, check with the F & W and they claim they bought a bunch, and released them. The tribe released a bunch as well, just because the fishery is starting to make them so much MONEY.

IN FACT, check out the links and go to the F & W and see the news release dated December 17, 2007.

VooDuuChild
Warrant Officer

Post by VooDuuChild » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:12 pm

Nice fish, nice and ugly! That is a compliment by the way! Fish ain't gotta be pretty to be sweet! I personally don't care for most rainbow as far as eating them, but I did try a trip once and was very surprised at how good it tasted! Of course, this was just a few weeks after the release so they didn't have a chance to get muddy tasting like many of the bows I've tried in years past. But dayum, I'd smoke those mutha's fo sho! And maybe grill up a steak to see how good they are, the color sure looks good in the sink pics!
________
[l_,[____],
l---L -[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)---)_) Jeeps are my other addiction......I need help, no, just more money!!!!

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:18 pm

northfork wrote:ndn- Last summer some idiot tied his boat up to the net pens and when he went to leave his prop was caught in the net. Ripped it open and all those tiny fish escaped. Thank god for idiots.
lol

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:02 pm

:chef:
HELP!!!
Don't know what went wrong, but this is the worst tasting smoked fish I have ever done.
Anyone want to take some of this off my hands?
This offer does not include Sam, He doesn't like the taste of triploids. j/k
Attachments
Packaged.JPG
Packaged.JPG (141.67 KiB) Viewed 2039 times
Smoked_Triploid.JPG
Smoked_Triploid.JPG (121.17 KiB) Viewed 2038 times