Anyone own one of the 4k ultra HD Tv's?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Anyone own one of the 4k ultra HD Tv's?

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:47 am

Does anyone have any experience with what is known as the 4K UHD (ultra high def. HD) Tv's that have come out in the past couple years?
Looking at upgrading a TV, and would like to go with high performance. Smart TV capability as well.
Most likely LCD.

There is so much tech babble to read through online, sometimes it helps to hear things from a real person. #-o

TonyV
Angler

Re: Anyone own one of the 4k ultra HD Tv's?

Post by TonyV » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 am

There is practically NO programming or movies that are sent out in 4K detail, so right now, the 4k ability is not of much value.
If your thinking long term, there will be channels in 4K. As for the TV, if you are going to connect it to the internet, you can access programming like netflix, zulu, etc for streaming programs. For that you would need a Smart tv. If you are not going to connect it to the internet, Smart TV does you no good.
Good luck.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:54 am

TonyV wrote:There is practically NO programming or movies that are sent out in 4K detail, so right now, the 4k ability is not of much value.
If your thinking long term, there will be channels in 4K. As for the TV, if you are going to connect it to the internet, you can access programming like netflix, zulu, etc for streaming programs. For that you would need a Smart tv. If you are not going to connect it to the internet, Smart TV does you no good.
Good luck.
I already have Smart TV's, so I am familiar with that.
After much further reading, I've come to the conclusion that I think it is still a little early in the 4K TV revolution. I agree with what you said about actual current source material in 4k, but even more importanly is that if you read some of the articles written by people who make their living reviewing consumer tv's, they are saying that even with perfect source material given by the manafacturer of the 4k TV, the professional reviewer can barely tell the difference.

I think I've made my choice.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:25 pm

These smart TVs are a disaster waiting to happen IMO Samsung has already come out last week and stated no personal information should be talked about near the TV!
Off topic but related to my point here is ...I have an Xbox one I can walk into the living room and say Xbox on, Xbox TV, Xbox channel 4 etc etch its always on and listening. Therefore who knows who could be listening it freaks my wife out so much I unplug it.
Now back to TVs, look what Microsoft, Google, apple does in combating viruses none of the TV manufactures comes even close to the amount of dollars that are spent on preventive software. My biggest gripe is by the time my flat screen goes tits up smart TVs will be all you can buy.
Sorry quad not really on topic with your original question, I just thinks its nuts how technology is moving along. The 4k TVs are cool but it is years before they can start bring out shows or movies that can accommodate the TV to allow it to reach its full potential. And like you say can't you tell the difference before you drop a ton of money.