Ideas for new line counter reel

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
stryker17
Warrant Officer

Ideas for new line counter reel

Post by stryker17 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:25 am

Looking to purchase a new reel with line counters on them...........These reels will replace the Ambassador 6500 that we now use for fishing the Columbia several time a year, for salmon,,,, Not looking so spend a fortune on them as they will only be used for a short time each year (I have 3 7000's and 3 6500's ) Just thought it would be nice to have a line counter when we are not using down riggers,,,,,,,,,,,, Have not looked at any up until now so looking for some input as to a good solid medium priced reel that will handle up to a 20 lb fish ( I hope ) thanks...........

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Re: Ideas for new line counter reel

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:14 am

Check out the Cold Water line counter reels from Okuma. That's what I use on all of my big fish rods now

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:29 am

Came here to say the Okuma low profile also. I'm deal searching to find one for a rod that will do triple duty as a springer, pink and in-shore ling rod.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:53 am

Steelheadin360 wrote:Check out the Cold Water line counter reels from Okuma. That's what I use on all of my big fish rods now

I've got that same reel. It is built like a tank. Not fancy, but it will outlast some other more expensive ones that are failing me.

fishing magician
Petty Officer

Post by fishing magician » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:04 pm

I also like the coldwaters. I just bought one for my salmon pole and used it for blackmouth. It is a great reel.

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:13 pm

The Shimano tekota models are probably one of the nicest reels I owned would never have sold it if I was a right handed reel'er. They pretty spendy @160ish bucks but are worth it IMO. I'm still on the look out for a lefty LC reel to replace the two takotas I had.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:33 pm

I'm guilty of owning Line counters , But what ever happened to just counting passes on the spool? I ran a couple of reels and one was 20 foot for a pass over and back, the other was right at 18 feet. So open the release and count the number of passes. Granted you might not know how far behind the boat the fish is but when you can see the swivel maybe you should think about the net. [rolleyes]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:16 pm

sickbayer wrote:The Shimano tekota models are probably one of the nicest reels I owned would never have sold it if I was a right handed reel'er. They pretty spendy @160ish bucks but are worth it IMO. I'm still on the look out for a lefty LC reel to replace the two takotas I had.
Wait a minute..! I bought one of Sickbayer's' Shimano Tekotas. That IS a sweet reel! [thumbup]

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Yes you did mate! I knew it wouldn't disappoint. Once you get into the too quality reels kinda hard to compromise on a cheaper one. There are good used reels out there :cheers:

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:39 pm

Shimano Tekota. I've heard many bad things about the okumas, and blown up enough abus to know better. :salut:

downriggeral
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by downriggeral » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 pm

I too have blown up an Okuma. The Shimano Tekota is awesome for the salmon. Silky smooth drag makes a big difference on landing the spunky salmon. Money well spent!
iFishSolutions is your supplier for the iTroll Precission Kicker Speed Control and electric kicker steering all operated from the iTroll controller. We also have fishing autopilot systems available utilizing modern technology!

http://ifishsolutions.com/

Official NWFR Sponsor

stryker17
Warrant Officer

Post by stryker17 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 am

everything sounds good, just more to think about, I count the passes of the line guide now, but if I am letting the line out in a group of boats and need to stop and change direction or do something else, I forget where I am at............just easier for me of short memory......